Quarantined - On a Tom Petty kick

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by GuitLoop, Mar 25, 2020 at 10:05 AM.

1. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

OK so I definitely have cabin fever which got me thinking about Tom Petty's amazing album Full Moon Fever. So I've been passing my time in quarantine learning some songs off of the album and thought I'd share my work. I created a "chords & lyrics track", and a "backing track" for each song. I usually start off playing with the chords & lyrics track and then move on to the backing track. Here are the first two...hope you enjoy them...

Runnin' Down a Dream:

Yer So Bad:

2. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

...and here is the last one...

I Won't Back Down...

3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I too have been on a Tom Petty kick. Three weeks ago I found a "greatest hits" CD at a thrift shop. I brought it home a stuck it in the player, and played along through the whole thing. I was kind of surprised how well I could play it, as I have never really tried to play many songs of his. I am a big fan, so I guess they just worked into my brain.

I worked on all the 12-string songs, then I worked on the 6-string parts. Then I started changing the key of each song to a place where I can sing it. Tom has a much better voice and range than I do! I have to move most everything down about 5 frets; for example, American Girl is originally in D, but I have to go down to A to even have a chance.

It has been an excellent and entertaining education, trying to retain all the signature guitar parts while shifting through different key signatures. Maybe when all this madness is over, I can start a Tom Petty tribute band!

GuitLoop likes this.
  4. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Yeah he's up there for sure. American Girl is definitely at the top of my range. But at least he's not as tough as Fogerty! That dude is up there!

jhundt likes this.
  5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

When I was a kid, learning to play guitar and playing in bands, we never really cared which key a song was recorded in. We rarely played along with recorded version. We would hear a cool song on the car radio, and next chance we had we would try to play it. It would come out in whichever key we could play it in, and arranged however it sounded good to us. That was OK too, back in those days.

GuitLoop likes this.
  6. decker

decker Tele-Holic

Very nice; love Tom Petty.

GuitLoop likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.