Quality issues on the new Esquires?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Corvus, May 12, 2020.

1. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

What with lockdown, you can't go to the store and play before you buy. I did play a couple of the Esquires at my local when they first came and they were well up to usual CV quality. Now I can afford to buy one online but......

Looking at the online pics of actual guitars in some stores I've noticed more than a few have the through body ferrules quite significantly out of line. That's not the sort of thing you see on CV's as a rule and it makes me wonder if the new production (Indonesia?) is not up to former standards. I know old Fenders were often a bit hit and miss but that was hand building but with modern CNC machining and oriental attention to detail I'd expect it to be spot on. What else might be amiss? Makes me a bit wary of buying one online.

Anyone else noticed this or got one?

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I wouldn't be surprised if the out of line ferrules weren't programmed. I mean people wanted Esquires, now maybe period correct Esquires...
    I wouldn't worry about it.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It seems like the first runs of classic vibe guitars, starting with the first pine bodied 50s style teles, are always really nice. I remember the early pine body cv50s were light with flamey necks, and they got great reviews in all the magazines, but months later.. they weren't like that anymore.

I had an early release cv thinline that had a quarter sawn flame maple neck, but after the first runs they quit spending the nice materials on them, and they become ordinary and really sweet ones become few and far between.

the crooked ferrules? i dunno...

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The same was true of the first Mexican Fenders in the early 90s...

5. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I have Samick made esquire and it is completely unplayable. Not comparable to the "classic vibe" series at all. QC at Samick is apparently not the on the same level as it was in the previous factory in China (where they have been made for 10+ years), and also not on the same level as in the Cort-factory (where they made most of the VM-series teles and the current CV 70s).
    Samick Squiers can be recognised based on their serials with prefixes ISS or CSS, followed by a letter (for the month) and a year 19 or 20 (for 2019 or 2020).

6. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I saw that a while back. The guy got a Friday afternoon, Monday morning made one. Personally, I would have asked for a replacement, but it was his choice on a refund.

8. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

Negatives with me:

Click at the nut on 1st and 4th string.
    Two screws - one at tuners, other on scratch plate - have been over-tightened and have pulled the wood out, they’re effectively balancing in place.
    The pick-up doesn’t hit me in the stomach, I’m replacing it.

All 3 things are fairly easily sorted.

The positives are everything else about the guitar. It immediately became my number one, ahead of an American Performer Tele and an Alvarez acoustic.

I love this guitar.

9. dimenjj

dimenjj Tele-Meister

If you are going to buy online, I suggest going to Sweetwater, they usually have 3 or 4 of the same model you can choose from. Also, you will never get a guitar from them with flaws, they check a guitar before sending it to you. Now, they do have demos of some models that may have dings or scratches, but they are offered at a discount. Check them out.

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

delete

11. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Well! We don't have Sweetwater in the uk but we do have some decent stores that will (they say) check over a guitar before sending and really good return systems. But others ........
    Hope the stores reopen soon......for the sake of our mental health........it's been like cold turkey if you are an addict!

olaftheholy likes this.
  12. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

13. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Mine (#285, FSR 2019 Model, Vintage White) is flawless, but as with all guitars the newer post-FSR ones seem to have a few quality issues. I would just wait until you can play one in person. Mine has zero issues whatsoever but I saw a video on Youtube where one was done extremely shoddily. Wait instead of buying online.

Edit:

Somebody posted the video of the bad one above so watch that, but that is by no means indicative of the line, as I and others have really good models.

puddin likes this.
  14. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

Agree with you. Mine (#130, FSR 2019 Model, Vintage White) is flawless. Thing is, the post models with some issues, and colors, I think Sweetwater should have upped their game. Vintage White has been done. How about black with white binding, or black paisley, shell pink..I don't know something different, and offer a limited supply of lefties. Cheer's

guitarist232345 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.