Quality issues on a CS Tele...

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by joshigh, Oct 4, 2017.

1. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

I got my first CS guitar yesterday. Unboxed it, played it, sounds great, plays great.

I started inspecting it a little closer and saw these two issues. This is an NOS finish so it should be pristine. Got some overspray/bleeding on the binding by the neck pocket and some kind of finish peel/ding on the side of the fretboard at the 12th fret.

I'm wondering how I should handle it, part of me feels like it should be tip top shape for the price and NEW condition. The other part of me says it plays good and looks good, why bother, that's how I usually feel on USED gear.

I could send it back for a refund. I could ask the dealer for a discount. I could keep it and get over it eventually, but I feel like I'd always be a little miffed about it and be turned off to buying another one NEW, might as well take my chances used if this is normal. I had higher hopes.

Anyone been down this road? What should I do?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

zephyrR1 likes this.
  2. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

The overspray wouldn't bother me too much, but that neck finish chipping is unacceptable. I would definitely send the neck back for them to fix.

brogh, tery, dr_tom and 8 others like this.
  3. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

I bought a new Tele in 2000 that had that neck peel thing. I still regret not returning it.

Steve Holt likes this.
  4. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

Does the chip/peel get worse with time?

5. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

It may not get too much worse (chip more), but it's right where your thumb would be at the 12th fret, and it'll likely look worse with time. Send it back.

PearlJamNoCode likes this.
  6. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

Yea... Than neck does not look that nos to me... Return it or ask for a nice discount.

The thing looks like someone played the heck out of it wearing a ring or something...

Zeonoid likes this.
  7. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

I'd return it, these two defects will always bug you otherwise. It's not like its a cheap guitar.

8. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

So the dealer is giving me the option to either return it or have Fender take it in for repair/replace.

I really like the rest of the guitar otherwise, thinking about getting it back to Fender to get it right.

Crobbins, brogh, dr_tom and 3 others like this.
  9. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Tele-Meister

Yeah, send it back. If you don't, you will be bothered by those things more than you will enjoy owning it. That neck chip would be enough for me to walk away from a $500 guitar, and I'm sure this was much more than that.

Piggy Stu and SteveC356 like this.
  10. RottyDog

RottyDog TDPRI Member

Really doubt its CS fault, dont think it will pass CS QC for fretboard defect. Should check with shop for it.

11. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

send it back. like stated the overspray....no biggie, the neck cracking, no way.

12. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

What bothers me is, there's no way that neck peel got past all the sets of eyes that inspected this guitar on the way out the door. This would be unacceptable if you paid $1,400 for a run of the mill Tele, let alone three times that amount for a CS.
    Are you kidding me? For shame, Fender, for shame. No way on god's green earth should that have left the paint shop, or the final inspection, or the dealer. They all saw it and chose to look the other way. Disgraceful.

sjruvolo likes this.
  13. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Holic

I d say ask for discount do not return. You should take it as guitar found you - not you found the guitar

14. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

I agree. Shouldn't have left the shop. If it happened at the dealer, shouldn't have left the dealer.

It's going back to Fender directly for repair/replace. Not sure how they'll handle it, put on a new neck or what. I'd imagine the binding thing is pretty straightforward. I'll let them do their thing and if it isn't perfect when they are done it will go back for return.

Steve Holt likes this.
  15. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I think you're doing the right thing. It's two very small things, but when you buy a CS you're paying for the labor and the expertise of the craftsmen building it. If they put out items that aren't 3 better than the main factory is putting out then they need to stop the custom shop or charge a more reasonable price.

16. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

That's my biggest gripe. Come on, this is a CS NON-RELIC'D piece. It should, by far, be the gold standard of what they put out. Being my first CS purchase, it kind of cheapens the whole experience.

Ricky D., dr_tom and 8barlouie like this.
  17. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I have the same thing on the first fret of my Les Paul. I know it was someone peeling tape off a fretboard incorrectly

As everyone says: not good enough. I have seen worse things on top price guitars than I ever saw on any Epiphone

Something to remember though, built by humans and checked by humans

Steve Holt likes this.
  18. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

The only certainty is it wont get better.

bparnell57 and joshigh like this.
  19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What's going on with that neck, a binding along the neck?

Won't a binding like that get destroyed over time anyway and become annoying? Or are they made such that you can play the guitar for decades and it won't chip away like this one has and become annoying?

20. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I think you are mistaking a rw fretboard w lacquer on it for binding

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.