Quality Control on Fender Replacement Necks Anyone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WilburBufferson, Jul 23, 2021.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

I went to buy a road worn 72 Telecaster Deluxe neck today. Brand new from a store. Took a fret rocker to it and, man, there were high/low frets everywhere -- probably 6 or 7 and the humps an bumps were all over the place: treble side, bass side, in the middle. This thing needed a fret dress, literally, straight out of the box. I looked at two other brand new Fender replacement necks: roasted maple with satin and gloss urethane finishes. They were better, but still, each had at least 4 frets that needed dressing.

These necks weren't cheap. The RW was $600 plus tax, and the others were each $450 plus tax. I know there are companies like Warmoth and Musicraft and others that make/supply replacement necks, but at this point I am not sure what to do. I could spend the same amount of money and have the same problems, right? Should I just ditch the guitar and start over (i.e., buy the "whole" rather than assemble the "parts") or how should I go about getting a good quality neck for my Deluxe?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    telemnemonics and Boreas like this.
  2. pi

pi Tele-Meister

Even if you tried again with a new neck, there's still a chance it needs work.

If you already bought it, you may as well work with it. If you don't want to do it yourself, a tech would get it fixed up for you.

3. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I am not sure of the process you used to measure the frets, but you didn't mention any truss rod adjustments to start with a straight neck before using the rocker. This usually requires a notched straightedge. If you have a bow anywhere in the neck, you are going to get "high" or "low" frets from a fret rocker. I am not saying you CAN'T find bad frets that way, but it isn't how I would do it.

That being said, I have always been under the assumption that any new neck is sold with the caveat it likely needs a fret dressing. If the manufacturer specifically states the frets are flat, then they should back it up.

fenderchamp and rstaaf like this.
  4. WilburBufferson

Ah, the old neck has been through two techs. It plays fine, but I want something with a more woody feel in the hand: roasted maple, or thin nitro. To be clear, the old neck is gone/sold. I went to the store today to buy the Fender Road Worn one, but left empty handed because I didn't want to spend $700 on a neck that needed that much work. Plus, I don't like the damage they call "relicing" -- I am okay with a thin finish, but there's no way I'd ever let the headstock get scraped the way they do it. In other words: I'm shopping for a new neck, or selling the rest and looking for a new "whole" guitar!

Boreas likes this.
  5. WilburBufferson

The fellow at the store was great, and yes, we looked at it with the notched straightedge and did see humps and bumps.

Boreas and telemnemonics like this.
  6. GAS Giant

GAS Giant Tele-Meister

I have had excellent luck with Musikraft necks through MJT...no adjustments...all straight with good fret work. They feel good.
    I have also had excellent luck with Warmoth...pricey, sloooooow, but bulletproof. I wish they would do something a little bit aged, but that is not their thing. Impeccable work.

I have had some Fender necks on MIM not be worth anything, but I bought a Fender USA jazz bass neck for about $600 and it is straight and needed nothing, just bolt on and set up. It feels better than some other replacement Jazz bass necks I have played.

WilburBufferson likes this.
  7. Boreas

What did the dealer have to say about the frets?

8. pi

pi Tele-Meister

Ah, in that case I'd go the Warmoth route--I've had a few necks and they always do good work.

Musickraft also looks appealing, especially because they have a wide variety of back shapes to choose from, but I've never tried them.

Also, you might look at the Stratosphere, which sells parted-out guitars. Since the necks were already previously installed on a guitar, they might have had a factory set-up applied to them. I bought a Strat neck from them once and I used without requiring any extra work.

WilburBufferson and Boreas like this.
  9. Boreas

I don't mind mild "wear" on one of those necks, but I don't like to see "damage" or "excess wear" I wasn't personally responsible for. Just my $0.02.

10. Boreas

The best neck I have is a Mitey Mite. But I bought it fully set up and don't know what the frets were like when new.

11. WilburBufferson

He agreed that the neck was "not on" and would likely be sent back.

Boreas likes this.
  12. WilburBufferson

I was contemplating MJT for some nice finish work, but I wan't NO damage and no logo installed. His website says that he has a special headstock shape and doesn't do a finish without relicing. This is what is keeping me away, but I should call them.

Boreas likes this.
  13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

You can buy roasted maple fender necks for around $300, maybe reach out to an online vendor and explain your current situation for input before ordering.

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I bought a new Am std authorized neck and an old neck. I still
    prefer old ones since I like a little wear on the frets.

Boreas likes this.
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have had excellent MIM Fender necks. I was coveting a couple Fender replacement necks at the local store before covid came. They were $225 and beautiful. Never took a rocker to them though. Frankly I would not worry about the fretboard, set it up and then check frets and play it. It has a warranty.
    By "worn" do you mean relic'd?
    Why pay $600 for a neck?
    Stratosphere on Ebay usually sells good 'take off' Fender necks for about $225 also.

16. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Why couldnt you just have it levelled ?
    You will probably end up having to do that to most necks anyway.
    And yes , the base ball bat " Nocaster " Fender neck I bought , required lots of attention before working right.

17. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have at least 6 Fender replacement necks and I haven't had an issue with ANY of them.
    I take that back, I did send one of them back and got a replacement. That was a cosmetic issue though.

I probably wouldn't mind fiddling with leveling a few frets, really depends on your expectations.
    The more a neck costs, the less I am usually inclined to want to fiddle with it.
    I think you said one was $600, I would probably send it back and get another. The other issue is time.
    There are times when I just don't want to wait for a replacement and I am more willing to fix things I normally wouldn't.

I guess what I am saying, there is no right or wrong here. I have not noticed any unusual issues with Fender QC.

I would send the neck(s) back at what you paid. You have to do what makes you feel comfortable.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  18. WilburBufferson

Yes, the "road worn" series is Fender's MIM way of doing relics. And that's what they cost here in Canada.

19. WilburBufferson

This is what I have decided to do. Thanks for tipping the scale for me!

pi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.