Q: Why is a my bridge pickup weaker than my neck pickup?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by saintgerty, Sep 29, 2018.

1. saintgerty

saintgerty TDPRI Member

Hello, i just installed a 13.6k bridge The Creamery ALT 88.... in the bridge. While the tone is beautiful and balanced, it's weaker in output then my SD Seth Lover neck 7.4K?

How is it possible...?

Thank you, suggestions much appreciated.

2. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Did you measure them yourself to be sure? If so, experiment with pickup height. A little bit can make a big difference. Also magnet type may differ.

LowCaster likes this.
  3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

If its wound with thinner wire than usual ( AWG 43 vs 42 ) its not as hot as the measurement will let you believe.
    A normal pu for the bridge in a Tele ,a 10K pickup with 43 wire isnt louder than a 7K pu wound with 42 , give or take
    Stock pu´s in the neck are often wound with 43 , and have higher readings than the bridge pu with 42 wire....

boris bubbanov and Urshurak776 like this.
  4. saintgerty

saintgerty TDPRI Member

No, i didn't measure them... but moving the bridge closer to the strings has made a phenomenal difference. Thank you so much. Now the volume is evenish ....

5. saintgerty

saintgerty TDPRI Member

And yes, the ALT 88 is wound with 43AWG.... that's exactly why it would be quieter.

Thanks for all the help and knowledge.

6. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Seth is a humbucker. I'm assuming the Creamery is a single coil. That's the way it is.

7. Novatuc

Novatuc Tele-Meister

Resistance is only a useful measurement if both pickups are made with the same wire size and are of similar construction. Inductance is a much better measurement when comparing the output of pickups with different or unknown construction.

suave eddie likes this.
  8. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Cool. Play with it a bit to see how you like it, then go the other way...
    Lower the pickups.

You may very well find that the sweet spot for both of them is farther from the strings.
    Sometimes quite surprising.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You may want to lower the neck HB along with raising the bridge SC.

Plus if you are setting the pickups nice and level to your eye, you might try making them look crooked but sound level to your ear.

Because the wound strings have so much more mass than the plain strings, if you set the pickup the same distance from the wound as the plain, you will hear louder bass through the amp, and will probably turn down the bass on the amp to try to balance the tone/ string volume.

Try lowering both pickups under the wound strings, and then adjust the amp if needed. You may need to go back and forth a few times between pickup height and amp settings.

In general you want to first set your bridge pickup fairly high and for a balanced response, then adjust the neck pickup.
    If you adjust the neck pup first and it's fairly high, you will never get the bridge pup loud enough without going back to the neck pup and lowering it.

Bill Lawrence suggests the nickel method for a starting point.
    He says "with the string held down at the highest fret, adjust you pickup to one nickel space from the high E and two nickels space from the low E.
    Then tweak to taste.

I tend to have even more angle to my pickups so I can turn up the bass a little more at the amp, which seems to fill out the low mids as well.

With the pickups level, not only is there too much boomy bass, but also the high E string is weak and lower volume.

saintgerty likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes yes yes.

This is or should be known as the "Bill Lawrence Law". He had tried always to get people to overcome their assumption that resistance = output vis a vis another pickup. In the end, the best things Resistance can tell us is A) if the pickup is broken or B) we can often get a hint as to the Identity of an unknown pickup by checking its resistance against other known examples. Otherwise, the information has almost no use.

highgreenchilly and eallen like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.