Q on 57 V necks

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by hamerfan, Aug 10, 2019.

1. hamerfan

hamerfan TDPRI Member

I am a sucker for V necks. I have Tele and strat partscasters (self shaped and finished necks), a custom made 00-28 and v neck Taylor 612. I am quite experienced how to shape a V neck. Some years ago i played Fender CS 57 V neck. I couldn't believe and had to check the Specs Chart. It felt like an plain C maybe a tad less shoulders, more like a Baja. I was done with the CS 57 V neck. About 2 months ago i was in another town in a music Store and checked the Fender CS display, took a strat and wow the best factory neck i ever played, a bit on the slim side but great. The Chart spec' d 57 V!
    Do they vary that much??

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

In my experience Custom Shop’s neck shapes can vary a lot from one model to another, even if they’ve got the same designation in the specs.

3. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

Could you talk a little more about shaping the neck to a V ?

What is your technique? What tools do you use?
    I have never owned a guitar with a V neck, but played and loved two acoustics with a V shape.

One was an inexpensive Washburn acoustic at a pawn shop that I went back to get the next day and was gone.

The other was a huge Gretsch that was at least 50 years old and orange. The neck was enormous, V shaped, and amazingly comfortable. But way out of my budget.

I have a Warmoth neck I purchased second hand that is a boatneck. Waiting for cooler weather so I can get back out in my garage to finish up that project.

How sharp of a V do you like?

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The sharpest V neck I have experienced was on a dead mint 1957 Strat which a friend of mine took to a show to sell about 25 years ago. The neck was unplayable for me. From the edge of the neck at the board there was a direct straight line to almost the middle of the neck, and that vee point created there was a definite sharp point that was barely rounded. If I am slightly exaggerating, I am doing so to stress that there was NO doubt that one was holding a V neck.
    Yes, the guitar sold quickly....$7500. Today it would bring a much bigger number, but that was good money for it back then.

5. hamerfan

hamerfan TDPRI Member

The base were two C necks and one U neck. I use cabinet scrapers. First i determine the thickness. I want 21 mm at first fret to 24 at the 12th neck. Them i start at the first fret at the bass string side and try to achive a bent straight line up to the 10 fret. Then i try to make a only slightly bent line on the treble side. This makes a bit of a unsymetrically Neck shape, which is more ergonomically. At the end i shape the middle line to 21 to 24 mm thickness. I check the straightness of the middle line with a ruler.

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I agree, I'm a big fan of V necks, but there are some V's that lack shoulder and are uncomfortable to me. Like you say too much of a straight line to the fretboard edge. I need shoulder. A Jimmy Vaughn strat I had was that way. My Clapton soft V is perfect in many ways. I had a 38 Martin acoustic that was very nice V too. Strangely, I had a 57 Strat V neck that was very chunky and was nice. So I guess they varied quite a bit. A friend had a Japanese 57 strat reissue and the V was very nice on that. I had the neck plate also. Sold it too cheap too long ago!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.