1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

[Q] How to thin down a Bone Blank?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Luthi3rz, Aug 1, 2018.

1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's brilliant! I didn't think of using materials like Lexan, but I had on hand a 2.5" aluminum pulley with a flat face, to which I could paste circles of sandpaper. I found a suitable motor with the correct shaft size in a recycled materials store, and mounted it on a thick aluminum "L" section I had laying around, all mounted on a piece of good plywood, and ended up with this:

0 DISC SANDER - 01.jpg

The table there was thrown together with aluminum pieces on hand, I've since improved & simplified it somewhat. I wanted the whole thing to be as compact as possible, so I can easily shelve it when not in regular use. It works great! The RPM is on the slow side for a disc sander, but that mostly just reduces the chance of making a mistake or even injury.

0 DISC SANDER - 06.jpg

So yeah, that front sandpaper surface, gotta be flat, and centered. I should be able to glue a 4" circle of Lexan to the my existing 2.5" pulley face there, and shave the edges to get it centered/balanced.

eallen likes this.
  2. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

This^.

I use a 140 Atoma diamond plate, but same process.

3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Down & dirty dust collection technology--4" fan inside a USPS box--catches the finer dust that otherwise gets all over everything (and into your lungs):

0 DISC SANDER - 09.jpg

I set it up near a window, too, with a big fan exhausting 95% of the remaining dust that does get away.

Arch Stanton, Luthi3rz and eallen like this.
  4. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I glue them on a board around 2x8 inches run them threw the drum sander very little at a time.I make something the thickness i want once i get close I finish by hand sandpaper on flat surface. For shaping height & curve I have a 1” belt sander with a 4” disk sander.

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

The reason the Lexan disk glued to the pulley and the Corian for the base works well is, shaping a bone nut is a low impact procedure... If I was grinding a 4 pound hunk of T-10 Steel into a Vintage Scottish Dirk.. it might take something a bit more robust... but for a nut... that thing ya see above is ten years old at the very least..

that is a boat load of nuts that's passed over that thing...

and a hint.. make your disk a size that will take commonly available Peal and Stick (PSA) sanding disks... it just makes life a little bit less complicated.. and i use 320 grit, simply because i like 320 grit.... :p

r

SecretSquirrel and Arch Stanton like this.
  6. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

What manner of sorcery is this?
    Freehanding a nut profile ?!?
    There’s dark forces at play here....
    And maybe some peat-influenced potions. [emoji6]

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I love the Telecaster knobs...

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 1.37.24 PM.png

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Ahh...yes,, the peaty nectar those who tread the misty highlands so very long ago left behind to tempt us mortals....

r

eallen and Meteorman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.