Q: 2008 Fender Custom Shop Limited Release 52 Tele

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by cherrick, Oct 26, 2009.

1. cherrick

cherrick Former Member

During 2008, the Fender Custom Shop built a small number of what they called "LIMITED RELEASE" 52 Telecasters. Make no mistake, these were in contrast with the "limited edition" (note: RELEASE). These had special pickups and special wiring.

Go to this page, scroll down, look in the left column and launch the video of the Custom 52 Tele (third from bottom, left column):
    http://www.fender.com/customshop/videos/#

Has anyone bought one of the RELEASE? Are they everything they appear cut out to be? Got any pics? Sound clips? Reviews? Know anyone who owns one?

Does the COA say "LIMITED RELEASE"?

They sound like great guitars and I'd very much love to get pictures of the wiring on the control plate and the pickups if possible.

2. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

There is one on Musicians Friend for 4,199,99.
    While I do not have one, I have some CS's that are similar to that model. Ie.. 52' Copper Telecaster.

3. cherrick

cherrick Former Member

Indeed there is a Heavy Relic.

Man they really beat that one up.

4. cherrick

cherrick Former Member

Here is the video:
    http://www.fender.com/customshop/vi...id=http://www.youtube.com/v/fUVyeHCKohw&hl=en

Question: Is this neck pickup the same as the Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele pickup? In other words does the Twisted Tele neck pickup have the nickel-silver cover instead of the brass cover?

Another question: Is the bridge pickup in a Twisted Tele pickup set the same as the Custom Shop Broadcaster pickup (i.e. flat poles, wound slightly hot)?

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

I think the answer to both questions are "yes".

6. paulcarr66

paulcarr66 TDPRI Member

I just bought one of these on eBay last month and it is easily one of the best playing and best sounding guitars I've ever seen. The great thing about this guitar is that each pickup has a very distinct sound and both are equally useful. The bridge pickup (Hot Broadcaster) has a really cutting twangy classic Telecaster sound while the neck pickup (CS Twisted Tele) has a very Strat-like tone and I even like it better than my Stratocaster Strat tone! Both pickups just seem to give you the best of all things Fender. Even unplugged the resonance and vibe that this guitar gives off acoustically is just incredible and it only weighs 6.4 lbs! The 6105 narrow jumbo frets are taking a little while to get used to but I love the overall "slinky" and "snaky" feel.

The 2008 Custom Shop '52 Custom Heavy Relic Telecaster was indeed a Limited Release and it doesn't seem like they made too many so you don't see them for sale very often. Most of the time you see the CS '51 Nocaster Relics or the "standard" CS '52 Telecaster Relics. The relic job is top-notch and because it fits that early Telecaster style so well it looks very tasteful IMO. This is my very first Tele (I have a '62 Reissue Strat and a '63 Jaguar) so this gives me a perfect Fender "hat-trick" so to speak.

Here is the spec sheet:

http://www.fendercustomshop.com.au/limitededitions/9230008899.php

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Inomukas

Inomukas TDPRI Member

Question about the 52 Limited Release Tele

Hiya,

I have found a Heavy Relic 52 for sale that appears to be the same model, however it doesn't have a Fender Custom Shop Logo on the neck plate, in fact the plate is completely blank. I think there are CS Teles out there that don't have anything on the plate however I was wondering if yours does?

I have a sneaking suspicion the one I'm looking at is a Limited as opposed to a limited release model.

Any thoughts or detail on what is on the back of the headstock and the the neck plate would be helpful,

Thanks in advance,

cheers

8. jtele9

jtele9 Former Member

I cannot find any reference to a "limited release" Fender custom shop heavy relic 52 tele offered in 2008.
    I have a 2008 Fender custom shop 52 "limited edition" heavy relic tele - which is the same one mike eldred showcases in the video that can still be found on the web. I would like to know if anyone has any video or web reference to the "limited release" I hear people talk about. I have searched, extensively on the web and have never seen a reference (print or video) to the elusive Fender custom shop 2008 "limited release" heavy relic 52 tele! If you have one list it here so we can all learn more.
    Thanks and good luck.

9. jtele9

jtele9 Former Member

I am answering my own question - you ho!!
    There is still a ad for the 2008 52 "limited release" tele for sale (sold of course) from a Musicians Friend ad on the web. The interesting thing in this ad is that the guitar pictured as the "limited release" has a neck plate clearly showing it is a "limited edition"!!!
    Mystery solved or complicated? My 2008 52 fender custom shop heavy relic has the same "limited edition" neck plate!! For clarity, Mike Eldred's youtube video also states this 2008 heavy relic custom shop tele as a "limited edition". I will watch it again, it is on youtube, to see if I somehow missed a "limited release" reference.
    More thanks and good luck.

vgallagher likes this.
  10. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Note: 7 year old thread.

vid1900 likes this.
  11. jtele9

jtele9 Former Member

So, Einstein - am the only one, in 7 years, to make make the effort and post an answer offering further insight into the question? Or is there another post location addressing this question or are you just not interested or too smart?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.