1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

PV 64 bridge pickup height

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fender4life, Feb 24, 2021.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

This is really odd. Has anyone else noticed the 64 bridge pickup reacts opposite of other pickups with respect to height? I actually have mine quite close to the strings in order to eliminate tinniness in the top ! When i lower it i swear it gets brighter. never saw that with any other pickup that i can recall.

2. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I find that to be true with a lot of pickups. I think backing the height down a little removes some midrange girth and maybe fizz ( depending on the pickup ) and seems to increase the treble.

It might be a bit of an auditory illusion, but what you're describing is familiar to me.

I have terrible hearing, so take it with a grain of salt please.

3. fender4life

I don't recall any other pickup being like that. I suppose it may also depend on your rig and settings tho.

4. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Lower pickup means less volume and a clearer sound to me, not muffled. Closer to strings will be louder (drives amp sooner) and the wound strings might start overpowering the unwound ones.

5. fender4life

Not with this pickup. At least not in my guitar thru my amp into my ear. Not sure why. But i have it set higher than any alnico rod pickup i ever used, especially considering it's A5. String pull isn't as much of an issue at the bridge and i haven't had intonation or sustain issues. But i now have both treble and bass sides really close. Crazy. But it sound better then it has since i got it !

6. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I would agree with you. I would hypothesize that it is due to the raised and staggered pole pieces, which makes for a brighter sound. It takes raising the coil closer to the strings to bring out girth, especially compared to say, a flat, non-staggered Broadcaster type, which will be fatter sounding because the coil will be closer to the strings relative to the height of the pole pieces of the 64.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. fender4life

Not sure thats why because i have had many with raised and staggered poles including the 62 custom bridge pickup the 64 replaced. That one is A2 and much less bright so u would think it would be much less harsh close to the strings, yet it got harsh if it was too high and not even as high as i have the 64 now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.