Puzzling carpet-cleaning problem

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, May 18, 2020.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Hey, all. I hope this finds you & your loved ones well.

With a crazy semester finally over and much needing to get my teen sons' idleness leveraged by chores, plans, motion, etc., we launched a huge Spring Cleaning campaign.

So we vacuumed the 8 x 4 ft. rug that's in our front room, over oak flooring. Just a cheapie Persian from Walmart or Target (I can't remember), but in good shape and I'd rather not spend $ on a rug when furloughs/pay cuts may be coming.

Took it outside for a nice beat-fest (my boys enjoyed that). Then we laid it on the minivan so it had full sun and stable drainage angle, and washed it. Mostly just warm water + a little unscented dish soap + LOTS of rinsing. Squeegeed aplenty with a 2x4. Lawd, the dirt that came out of it, even after the beating. It had no particular pet stain or spill or smell problem before this. Just really dirty, as it's right by our front door, and we're an active family, from the younger son digging in the dirt around the house for worms, GI Joe battle scenes, etc., to the older one trudging in a red dust cloud from baseball, etc. Got one dog, no cats.

The problem is this: Even after being in the sun for two full dry days, and being spread out on our enclosed porch with big fans going on it at night, it SMELLS like a wet dog. Feels and seems dry, and looks very clean. Its vibrant colors are back, etc. But...that smell! Like burlap got sick on itself.

I don't mind wet dogs smelling like what they are, but I don't want a carpet to smell like that.

Your suggestions?

A neighbor recommended the pet-stink-killer Nature's Miracle, but they changed their formula to a scented one. And I cannot stand scented ANYthing.

So...baking soda?

Weird problem, that it didn't smell before, but sure does now. Might the washing have activated mold that all the dust we pounded and washed out had been engulfing, or something?

Thanks for your advice. Stay safe!

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you may have some mildew in it. Best approach is to soak it with a non-chlorine mold/mildew killer (DIY/hardware stores have this stuff in the cleaning supplies aisle).

Mix it with water in a bucket and pour it out over the rug. Let it soak for about 30 minutes, and then hang it up to dry. No rinsing necessary.

Piggy Stu and RoscoeElegante like this.
  3. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  4. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Kitty litter is often recommended as a stench killer for various things, maybe it'd work here?

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

yep... baking soda

6. mally

mally Tele-Holic

I work in a carpet factory and we have a renovation offshoot and they use Tea tree oil !
    found this on goog
    Mix 10-20 drops of tea tree oil in a small bowl with baking soda and then sprinkle the mixture on the carpet before vacuuming. Your carpets will be disinfected and smelling great!

7. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

This did the trick! Thanks, mally (and dogmeat).

Kind of amazing, as I even doubted that the vacuum cleaner would get up all the baking soda, much less that it worked so well.

I also had dropped too much tea tree oil in the mix. (A daughter had left some behind here, it turns out.) That stuff is STRONG, and I do not like 99% of scents. Two drops probably would've been fine, but I stupidly slathered in about 10. I mixed it up in the kitchen, too, which I had to air out for a couple of hours. But the scent just about vanished from the carpet itself once I vacuumed up the baking soda.

What's especially impressive is that last night was and today is still very rainy. I had the carpet on the enclosed front porch all night, draped on rocking chairs, with a big fan on it to try to keep air moving on it, albeit damp air. It was in full wet-dog-stink mode this morning. I spread out the carpet on the porch floor and had at it. After letting the baking soda + tea tree oil mix sit on it for a couple of hours, it's not damp, it doesn't smell, the tea tree scent is minimal, and it's back in the house.

Love those lows-tech/minimal-chemicals fixes!

mally likes this.
  8. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Baking soda to wash and drape over a deck rail or some way to allow air to circulate on both sides. Worst case scenario is Febreeze. Use it sparingly and allow for a lot of air to help remove the odor
    Good luck

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.