Putting your Recording to Video for Demo, Equip? Tips, Tricks?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Twik, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Twik

Twik TDPRI Member

Ok, I know this is a stretch to post here, however, I figure I am not totally alone in my goal.
    I have a few recordings and some audio demos... Now when trying to book a gig, I am being asked for my Youtube page/web page with Video...

I am a weekend warrior. I have my day job. But I do like my gigs and I have a a respectable following. I figure I will play along and work on video demos... Does anyone have some advice for "ENTRY" level equipment! I mean like staying under 300-350 tops.

Also, what recording interface to synch audio and video? I work on a VS-2000, I also work with Cubase.>> I think a lot of my eq has referenced video synching but I also figure that options have changed in the last hour or two?

If anyone has any advice, guidance or even another place I should go for trusted input, I would appreciate it!!!

2. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Do you want a live recording or something more produced? We got lucky and had a show video taped and recorded with ProTools. We were able to mix and even redo some parts.

But most live video sounds like this. Try to get a board feed AND an audience recording.

You've done recordings so you could just add pictures to a song. Not great but it's better than just the song title up for three and half minutes.

You'll import the audio if you have it and synch to something easy, like the drum or bass. I use a Mac and don't have any suggestions for PC video editing software. I'm sure its out there. The trick is to stay within your limitations. You can shoot this on an iPhone. But storyboard the song even if its one camera in a bar. Know when to be on the drums, when to hit the singer and don't miss the guitar on the lead.

It's amazing what can be done in one take...

3. Chris2P

Chris2P TDPRI Member

So you need something to record video? I use a Canon sx30 is. It's an entry level camera that can record 720p video. Marty Schwartz used to use one to make his guitar jams videos. It also has stereo mics that have auto level adjustment. It runs about 300.00. I've recorded a lot of concerts with this camera and it has decent audio recording. I use it to record all of my sons' gigs as well. Far from professional level equipment but your not going to get a pro setup no where near 300 bucks. If you are interested let me know and I can upload something for you. If you record in high def. you will need a fast computer processor i5 or i7 intel for the video processing or playback on the compter

4. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

+1.

Clip below is a Zoom Q3HD parked sidestage. Audio is a mix of the Zooms stereo condenser mics and stereo desk feed. Low shelf boost on the desk feed, low shelf cut and high shelf boost on the mic audio. Came up pretty good for a DIY home jobbie - check it out a 720p to get an idea.

5. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Nice — rich low end, seldom heard in this this type of recording! Well done.

6. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Desk mix is taking care of most things around 250hz and below, pretty sure I did a pretty steep low shelf roll-off on the ambient mic to stop things getting too muddy and garbled. I might have boosted the lows a tad too much in retrospect.

7. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Sounds great from this end. Very impressive. The OP could do well to follow your example I would think.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.