Putting Together a Partscaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Valkyrie, May 10, 2021.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie TDPRI Member

This telecaster thing is really got me. I have a Fender American Professional that I love and I had a chance to play a bunch of different ones that some folk I know have and I really liked the 7.25” neck radius. So I decided to just build one the way I want.

So far I have a Lake Placid Blue body and a maple 21 fret neck from AllParts. I’m going with all nickel hardware because I like the patina it develops over time vs chrome which always seems bluish. I have a set of staggered Gotoh tuning machines, bone nut, offset compensated brass saddles, parchment five home pickguard and all the correct nickel mounting screws.

What I don’t have yet is the guts. Can’t decide on pickups and want to go with a prewired harness with high quality pots, switch and jack.

I like good bass response but also enjoy that sparkling treble that good teles have. I also want good string and note articulation. Not looking for super high output pickups but I do enjoy the tone Brad Paisley gets.

Thoughts? I haven’t started anything yet. Not sure what the first step is. The string holes are already drilled so not sure how to line up the bridge just yet.

TheMicster and mkdaws32 like this.
  2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m not a traditional Tele guy - I like hot pickups. But Bootstrap and Cavalier are both thought of quite highly and have some pickups with that traditional Tele twang.

Edit: BootStrap Palo Duros! That’s the set I was trying to think of. Do a search for Palo Duro on the site and there should be all kinds of reviews and descriptions of how they sound - and comparisons to other Tele pickups.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    hepular likes this.
  3. Valkyrie

Valkyrie TDPRI Member

how do they clean up when rolling off the volume?

4. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

I'm going with TV Jones T-Armonds so the jury is still out.

TheMicster likes this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have the Bootstrap Pretzel set and they clean up really well. The Bridge pickup is quite hot and fat sounding, but very full and articulate. The Pretzel neck pickup is brighter than a typical Tele neck pickup - kinda halfway between a Tele and Strat neck sound. So this set is probably not exactly what you are looking for.

I have a set of Bootstrap Extra Crispy pickups on the way for a Tele project. The Extra Crispy bridge is supposed to be medium-hot and the neck pickup is traditional sounding. Looking forward to how this set will sound when I get it.

6. 2GoneDE

2GoneDE TDPRI Member

I used Cavaliers at Frettech.com and I couldn't be happier with my partscaster.
    There are several options with degrees of wind/magnet/wire.
    I have a Nashville Lion bridge and Fat Lion King neck.
    Good luck!

Roscoe295 and mkdaws32 like this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Fralin pickups are fantastic and if you have any questions Lindy will help you choose the best set for your preference and the profile of your neck. TV Jones and Lollar and many other folks make fantastic pickups, there's no single right answer. My personal experiences with Fralin have been fantastic.

Bridge placement comes once you have the neck on, allow some wiggle room so the 12th fret is center. I put compensated saddles on my traditional bridges, I like intonation better than I like "classic look" but I like classic look enough that I go that route whenever possible.

If you don't like to solder or don't trust yourself to do it properly a prewired harness is a no-brainer. Best thing to remember is that it is no better or no worse than the sum of the parts, just with the addition of wire clamps which are every bit as good as any connection. I used a Mojotone 4 way Tele harness on a recent build and the quality was excellent and the price was right. Top components, pots, Switchcraft jack, no complaints. Oh, I like treble bleed control, I think it's worth it. They'll make anything you need but the stock Tele control kits are top notch. Same with R-S Guitarworks. Also Fralin makes wiring kits.

You've got Lake Placid Blue so the hard part is already done, that rocks! I'm not sure bone nuts make a difference but I am sure the last 7-8 times I needed a nut I went with bone. Have fun! Post pics.

8. Mark617

Mark617 Tele-Meister

AAADBCFF-A9A3-4251-B8C3-15A5EEEECD2B.jpeg
    I also used the mojotone on my build. I went with the 3 way traditional. I used Fralin Blues. Love em
    And Lindy reached out personally to make sure I was happy
    How cool is that ?

9. Valkyrie

Valkyrie TDPRI Member

you mention installing the neck first and while the neck pocket is pretty tight there is some slight wiggle room and I wouldn’t want to install it where it wouldn’t be square and parallel. Is there a trick to getting it just right? And also the string holes are predrilled in the body so does that make any difference in the order of operations?

10. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

When it comes to pre-wired electronics, I would always suggest Sigler Music. They do a very nice job in that arena.

As for the pickups, somtimes it is better to start on the lower end and working yourself up later if desired. My first builds always included the top of line pups on paper only to find that I didn't really like them as much as I expected.

My favorite 2 tele builds carry Cavalier or Duncan Vintage Broadcasters. Inexpensive, but excellent tone.

Roscoe295 likes this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Sorry, I meant "wiggle room" for forward/aft bridge saddle adjustment.

12. Valkyrie

Valkyrie TDPRI Member

I am not sure how to mount the bridge and the back so they are square to each other. The biddy has string holes predrilled but I don’t know if I should line the holes up to the bridge and mount it or even if I have the correct bridge.

13. Mark617

Mark617 Tele-Meister

You can get a combo bridge, I did. With traditional string through and top load. Measure your pre drilled sting hole widths, to get the correct bridge plate. Mount that and align the neck to the bridge

mkdaws32 likes this.
  14. Valkyrie

Valkyrie TDPRI Member

I retesting idea. Maybe.

since it is all apart and hasn’t been started, and I know it’s been discussed ad nauseam, should I shield the body? If so, paint or copper foil tape.

I’m waiting on a few doodads to be delivered and then I think I’ll have a functioning guitar in a few days.

just thinking on how to attack certain tasks.

15. Mark617

Mark617 Tele-Meister

You can shield if you want. I did Not. You do need to place a ground wire under the bridge plate, back to your control plate

16. Valkyrie

Valkyrie TDPRI Member

Direct mount neck pickup or pick guard mount?

17. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Stick a toothpick in each the A & B string holes and drop the bridge in place. Feed both strings through the bridge and body. Set the neck in the pocket and pull the strings up to the nut or even install both E tuners to retain the strings under light tension. Note any alignment issues and adjust the neck in the pocket and clamp it for drilling. Check alignment after drilling and mounting the neck, drill the bridge screw holes and screw it down.

This allows you to make a small, second adjustment at the bridge for alignment if needed. The string through holes can always be drilled for a slight countersink bevel under the bridge to correct for slight misalignment with the bridge holes. No need to worry about fore and aft placement as the intonation has almost a 1/2" of travel adjustment.

If your body is predrilled for neck screws, be sure the drill them out so the neck screws are a slip fit through the body. This allows for a slight adjustment (if needed) by loosening the neck screws and shifting the neck slightly (if the neck pocket allows) for string alignment also.

Ricky D. likes this.
  18. TheMicster

TheMicster TDPRI Member

The T-Armonds are an awesome pickup but i've never tried them on a solid body.

19. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Afflicted

You have similar taste to myself. I hunted high and low for a set that would get me close to Brad’s sound. I went with the Dirmarzio True velvet set, an underrated and overlooked set IMO. I’m using all gotoh nickel hardware, including the staggered tuners, which are fantastic and the gotoh compensated bridge.

Here she is:
    DACF0F3B-338B-4192-9713-20724AA2A8E1.jpeg

I’m only using the bridge pickup here:

This is all neck pickup:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B7rKZpZly9F/?igshid=1qo081zi3fc1r

20. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have EMG Active-T set in my Avatar guitar. Sounds just like a Tele, but more of it & quiet as a wake between songs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.