1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Putting copper foil over poor paint shielding from fender

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by MrSoAndSo, Feb 25, 2021.

1. MrSoAndSo

MrSoAndSo TDPRI Member

So I have a MIM P bass body that has a partial shielding job that came with the bass. I have copper foil and it is what I use on my build as I prefer it ( I know most don’t ). I was considering putting foil over all the spots fender did and over the spots they missed. I am having issues with slight noise but the popping I’m getting when I touch the strings or anything else grounded is driving me nuts. I have a set of EMG passive pups that I believe are pre shielded and are cast in epoxy but I’m getting noise. I have always have had good results doing a foil job. I was told not to put foil over the shielding paint as it may cause a conductance issue. Is this something I need to be concerned about? I don’t even know what kind of shielding paint fender uses and not sure mixing to different kinds would be better then just going over with the adhesive backed copper, which I already have ( paint I do not ). Any help appreciated !!!

Boreas likes this.
  2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don't see any reason why putting copper over paint would cause an issue.

- D

MrSoAndSo likes this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You'll need to cover the entire cavity with foil for the best effect. You can't get nowhere close to the conductance of copper with a thin layer of conductive paint. The foil can go right over the paint, no issue there, just act like the paint isn't there, and treat each connection as one attached to the copper and not the paint. Also, solder the overlaps, just for extra measure...

MrSoAndSo likes this.
  4. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

this is exactly what I did with my Jazzmaster. Foil-coated all the cavities with overlapping sheets. I also let a little bit "spill" over the lip of the cavities to ensure contact with the copper tape on the bottom of the pick guard (though this was later replaced with the JM pick guard shield Fender sells). No problems at all.

Just be careful with he copper foil; that stuff can make a paper cut sound like a good time.

Boreas, BorderRadio and MrSoAndSo like this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

As long as your copper shielding is properly grounded, I can’t see why there would be a problem. I have put full copper shielding in all my guitars - some had the paint and some don’t. Copper and aluminum shielding are much better conductors than that paint is anyway.

I prefer true single coils in my Strats and Teles even for high gain tones. But I hate hum and RF noise. Ever since I started shielding my guitars to minimize noise and using a noise gate to get rid of the hum during breaks in playing, I’ve been 100% happy with my tone and the noise floor.

MrSoAndSo likes this.
  6. MrSoAndSo

MrSoAndSo TDPRI Member

Thanks so much everybody !!! This is my first time posting here and already got answers, outstanding!!! I’m usually on a bass forum. I joined here because I’m a tele lover and want to get one someday to use for recording along with my acoustic.

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

I shield my Fender basses and guitars with copper foil or tape. I’d like to pass this on to Leo’s ghost if you’re listening. Next time you raise prices 10% make it 11% and shield the cavities.

MrSoAndSo likes this.
  8. BorderRadio

MrSoAndSo likes this.
  9. MrSoAndSo

MrSoAndSo TDPRI Member

Thanks, happy to be here !!

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Like others have said, do a full coverage job with the copper foil.
    Before you start, is any of the original conductive paint flaking? Some 'name' brands that I will refrain from noting are notorious for that. If so, go over the area to loosen/remove as much of it as [possible. I'd go over the cavity area with some sandpaper -- that will likely be messy with flakes/dust, but better to get rid of it now rather than foil lifting in the future!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    MrSoAndSo likes this.
  11. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have done just that on several guitars. No downside I have noticed - except the slices on my fingertips mentioned above. Luckily after half a dozen or so, I changed my technique...

MrSoAndSo likes this.
  12. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

I would foil the entire cavities, regardless of what Fender did with the paint. I don't see how that could produce conductance issues.

MrSoAndSo likes this.
  13. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Make sure your bridge is properly grounded. If poorly grounded, that could cause your popping, because you are becoming the ground. And make sure whatever your bridge is grounded to is also properly grounded. Test with a continuity tester.

JSMac and MrSoAndSo like this.
  14. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Or buy copper tape that has conductive adhesive and not bother with soldering.

MrSoAndSo and loopfinding like this.
  15. BorderRadio

Correct, but I'm just going by Ron Kirn's advice about shielding. Continuity failure won't be a big deal if it happens, so I don't go overboard with the solder drops, doing every inch. I drop solder in places where main cavities connect with others...like a Jag or Jazzmaster.

MrSoAndSo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.