1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Putting combo amp on something to tame vibration and home noise???

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 57fenderstrat, Mar 4, 2020.

1. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I play my tweed deluxe in my apartment, not excessively loud but around two on both amp volumes and the guitar’s volume to taste.

I’m wondering if getting the amp off the floor will help with the low end rumbling and traveling through the floor, walls and such.

I can play as loud as I want but I try to keep the noise down for neighbors out of respect and I am often playing guitar late at night so I should be alittle more quiet.

I know of more elaborate options like making an iso box but that isn’t really necessary at this point. I mainly just want to tame the vibrations caused by the low end.

Do any of you folks put your amp on a few inches of foam, a blanket or anything ?? Does it make a difference? Is it worth buying anything or just a bunch of mumbo jumbo ?

I’m just curious if any of you guys do anything like this.

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Yes, raising your amp will help your situation in more ways than one. Less touching the floor is less vibration. Low frequencies are non directional. The less the source has contact with the floor, wall, etc, the better.

I don’t have to worry about low end spread in my basement. But I raise my Champ so I can hear the full frequency. Higher frequencies are more direct. You will find you can play at lower volumes the more the amp is inline with your head.

[​IMG]

Old Plank and dan40 like this.
  3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Acoustic coupling is a measured phenomenon.... go out to the store and buy a case of beer in long neck bottles ... drink the whole case and rest your amp on the case of empties .... glorious improvement!!!

stormsedge, rolandson and Old Plank like this.
  4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Auralux Gramma

beninma likes this.
  5. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

My music room is a smallish spare bedroom on the 2nd floor. Old hardwood floors. The whole room is like a giant amp cab. I found that raising it, even on top of a wooden radio cab cuts the low end vibrations. You could try cutting some hard foam to set your amp on.

rolandson likes this.
  6. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

#tonewood

[​IMG]

JL_LI likes this.
  7. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic

As @rangercaster has already said, acoustic coupling is real. Simply put, sound travels through solids. Same principle as a string stretched tight between two tin cans acting to carry a voice.

So...anything that will break up the pathway will serve to reduce or eliminate sound transmission.

Which also means that simply putting your amp on a table won't completely accomplish the purpose. The sound will radiate through the legs. But...putting the amp on a foam pad on the table will be...better.

8. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I just built a wooden shelf for mine, before that two bricks of polystyrene did a brilliant job, but wouldnt let the combo be slid about the house

9. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

By the time it took you to post that you could have put your amp on a chair & stuffed a pillow in the back of it. Not sure what your question really is?

10. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Afflicted

wtf! guy asks a simple question and you give him crap?are you from the gear page?:lol:

Bluego1, OldPup, Sasz and 1 other person like this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinking placing the amp on a piece of foam would reduce acoustic coupling more than placing it on other solid objects. However, the sound projected from the speaker will likely also be heard through the floor.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, or the ultimate guitar forum, which is even worse...

OldPup and stevemc like this.
  13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Bluey, not sure what the question really is? Apparently you read it and understood it.

"...stuffed a pillow in the back of it."

If you have a solid-state amp with an open back, sure. But if it has tubes, that's a great way to shorten their life (best scenario) or start a fire (worse scenario). Tubes need air flow to stay cool.

LuthRavin and Wally like this.
  14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

The previous owner her left some shelving behind and some prefab bookcases. I got the legs at Home Depot. I've made five of these

20200220_234624.jpg

stormsedge likes this.
  15. triviani

triviani Tele-Meister

I use one with a Fender Champ, I think it works great. But they are a bit pricey for what they are, you may get close to the same results putting some isolating foam and a plank of wood on top.

16. Dunedin2019

Dunedin2019 TDPRI Member

I use a foam archery target under the bass combo. Does a good job at decoupling it from the floor.

stormsedge and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  17. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Holic

Mass landed vinyl is what is used to de couple machine vibration. Works great for sound proofing low frequencies:)

18. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Anti-vibration rubber mats, made for washing machines (10mm thick), they should be easy to find.

zephyrR1 likes this.
  19. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

Mousepads!

20. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

It all depends on room size, room acoustics, where you have the amp placed in the room vs. where you are actually playing, etc.

Start with a chair, a simple amp stand, perhaps simply tilting up the amp.

Also what kind of feet on the amp. I have changed out all of the metal covered feet with larger rubber feet. Some of my amps are on moving dollies.

A little experimentation goes a long way. Some amps need to be coupled to the floor, others sound best angled up or amps like my Vibro Champ at near ear height. Whatever works for you. There are no wrong answers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.