Putting a traditional bridge on Mexican Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Voodoo Jay, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Voodoo Jay

Voodoo Jay NEW MEMBER!

I'm about to order a traditional bridge with compensated brass saddles for my mim Fender Telecaster and I have 2 options. Nickel or chrome. What's the advantages or dis advantages for each?

Thanks

2. closedmri

closedmri TDPRI Member

Hey Jay,

I did this to my Mexican tele long ago and it was a great upgrade.

If you look at nickel and chrome hardware side by side, the chrome has more of a blueish hue to it, whereas the nickel looks more silver-like (its called a nickel-silver finish).

You may need to dig further on this, but I‘m pretty sure “nickel” and “chrome” just refers to the finish, or plating. The underlying metal is usually zinc or brass.

The main concern will be that nickel & chrome hardware don’t match, so if your control plate and knobs are chrome they won’t look exactly the same. I never noticed or cared about the difference because the bridge is such a unique piece of hardware that it didn’t bother me. If it bothers you, you could consider getting nickel knobs and control plate (and tuners to satisfy your OCD). It’s not a huge deal though IMO.

I will say overall that switching from the chrome-plated stock bridge with 6 chrome saddles to the 3 brass saddle nickel bridge made me love my Mexicaster 10x more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.