1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Put my Speakers in "series" or "Parallel&quot

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BADFISH, Apr 13, 2003.

1. BADFISH

BADFISH Tele-Meister

I have Two (8 ohm each) speakers I need to Run with an 8ohm Head.....Do I run these Speakers in "Parallel" or "series"? Thanks for any and all info.

2. telest

telest Tele-Meister

You will have to connect them in series which will be a 16 ohm load. A parallel connection will give you a 4 ohm load which will burn up your 8 ohm output transformer. Though the 16 ohm load is safe for your amp you will lose some efficiency i.e. less volume, may not achieve ultimate tone potential etc... Good luck.
    Steve

3. EMan

EMan Tele-Holic

It depends on if the amp is a SS amp or tube (output stage).

The general 'rule' is that with a tube amp, 1/2 the specified load is okay. With SS, you cannot go lower that it's rated load.

With tube amps, raising the output load will raise the amount of 'reflection' back to the output tube's plates. In a 2X6V6; 8 ohm amp for ex, the OT has a voltage ratio of ~35:1. This means that what ever voltage is developed by the speaker is multiplied by 35 at the output tubes. Effects are generally arcing. You may see that some tube amps have a series of diodes in the plate circuit to protect the tubes. Also note that most Fener speaker jacks are shorted when nothing is plugged into them.

SS amp are basically; the lower the load, the more current comes out. Tends to burn them up of the load is to low.

There's also some sonic differences between series and parallel connections.

4. telest

telest Tele-Meister

Eman, I was not aware of the 1/2 load theory. I always thought tube amp output transformers were pretty sensitive, but I'm definitely not an authority on amp workings. Just basic knowledge.
    Steve

5. BADFISH

BADFISH Tele-Meister

I wonder why Weber is selling These speakers???(ohms)

I just bought (2) F-150's (C12N), for an 8ohm (vintage fender) amp. I told him "the amp is 8ohm., and its a 2X12 Cabinet......." he sent me two 8 ohm speakers???? My friend also just bought two "Blue dog" speakers for his 8 ohm head, he also received (two) 8 ohm. speakers????????? Is this Wrong? should I have received two 16 ohm speakers and put them in "Parallel "for 8 ohms? Thanks for the help

6. EMan

EMan Tele-Holic

Another benfit to parallel wiring is; if you toast a speaker, there will still be another speaker hooked to the amp. In a series connection, a blown speaker will disconnect the cab from the amp.

BadFish, it is always best (as mentioned) to keep the load matched to the source. If you're running an 8 ohm head, and you have a two speaker cab...the cab needs to be 8 ohms.

When you order speakers, you have to be very specific about what your requirements are.

If you want to wire them in series, order 4 ohm speaker, in parallel; 16 ohms.

7. BADFISH

BADFISH Tele-Meister

It's odd he sent 8 ohm

I told Them The Exact head and 2X12 I would use these speakers with, the same goes for my friend(Who orderd the Blue Dogs) That is the great thing about "Weber" They get all the info. from you, and ask alot of questions. He thought these would be the Best speakers for the sound I needed/with this Cab and amp? He's The Guru??? Thanks again for your help

8. jimmiboots

jimmiboots Tele-Meister

Weber speakers and loads...

Hello everyone, I'm Bafdish's friend. I also ordered speakers from Weber. I specificaly told him, "I'll be playing through a blonde '62 Bandmaster running at 8ohms. I use a 2x12 Marshall cab, which I play at high volumes, sometimes I step on a Big Muff and get pretty crazy. What speakers do you reccomend?" We then talked about the type of tone I was going for, and he recomended one CF150 and one CF150b. Both the speakers he sent were 8ohm speakers. I often do dime my amp (well at least 8 or 9 it). Am I in danger of damaging my amp and/or speakers?

9. Big Cookie

Big Cookie RIP

Easy guys

The 62 Bandmaster is the 6G7-A chassis which has an output transformer for a 4 ohm load. Wire em up in parallel. It was the 1961 6G7 chassis that was designed for an 8 ohm load. Fire it up and play it loud and proud.

Best Blues,
    Cookie

10. jimmiboots

jimmiboots Tele-Meister

A "load" off...

Hey, all right. My bandmaster actually has a Kendrick OT. I reckon I should check the numbers on it and check the specs. Does anyone know if there's anywhere online I can get specs on Kendrick stuff? (by serial numbers, etc.) Also, please don't get me wrong, I'm NOT trying to badmouth Weber. I've had 2 pairs now and they all sound fantastic. By far the best for my $.....

11. EMan

EMan Tele-Holic

For general info: I've been playing my brown Princeton into 4 ohms on and off for about 35 years.

At present, it's pushing a Weber P12N (repro baffle), and a Celestion Vintage 30 in a Jenkins 1X12 cab.

Take a peek: http://members.tripod.com/~flh1968/fender.html

BTW, Cookie has always given my great suggestions where speakers, tubes, etc. are concerned. This amp has never sounded better.

12. BADFISH

BADFISH Tele-Meister

Thanks for the Info.

I was told the Blackface Bassman, Bandmaster etc. had a 8 ohm. Tansformer.............With your help and the "Fender Ampfield guide".........I now know it's 4 ohm. That should have been my first quistion, then take it from there...........Thanks again

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.