Put a standard scale neck on a CV baritone?

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
Wondering if you can put a standard 25.5" scale neck on a Squier CV baritone without messing up the intonation. In another thread someone mentioned this could be done, but wouldn't the saddles have to be moved forward by a pretty drastic amount?

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
The likely answer is it depends on what neck you use and the body. CV body? Fender spec neck. Then you would probably not need more than a normal setup. Fender 25.5 necks and Fender or comparable spec bari necks are scaled to the same bridge position.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
It would fit, but yes--the bridge would probably need to be moved to accommodate the change in scale length.

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
Already two conflicting opinions here. Interesting.

I'm thinking of getting a CV baritone, but since I'm not sure I'll like it long term I'm thinking I could justify the purchase if I can put a Baja Tele neck I have on it.

I would think the saddles would have to be moved forward by such a huge amount that it might not work.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
And if it did fit, the pickups would presumably not be in the "designed" position relative to the scale length.

May or may not be of any relevance, depending on how picky you are.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
When they did the Blacktop Baritone series, it was a conversion neck, so you could swap them on/off with other standard tele bodies. Not sure about the Squier series, but maybe someone else knows.

So you didn't have to move the bridge etc.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Try asking Fender/Squier for the key dimensions. Just changing the string gauges alone would entail saddle adjustments for intonation. If the bodies are indeed interchangeable, you should be all set. But frankly, if I didn't play it, I would peddle it.

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
Why would you want to do this?

Just asking?
I know it sounds like a ridiculous thing to do, but here's the logic:

If the novelty of a baritone wears off and I find myself not using it much, I could put an orphaned Baja Tele neck on it and have a "regular" Tele. One bonus here is that it's a double bound black body, which I've wanted for a long time.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Some more research would be needed to gain a definite answer about this particular model, but it’s been my experience with Fender/Squire stuff that it’s a conversion style neck on a standard body. So all you’d need to do is swap the neck and set it up/intonate it again.

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
So I checked out a CV Custom baritone at a shop and compared it to a standard CV Tele. Setting them side by side on a table, facing each other, and looking at them from the side it actually looked as though the baritone's bridge was just slightly more forward (i.e. positioned slightly more towards the neck) than the standard CV. The difference looked to be about 1/4".

This was entirely unscientific, just eyeballing the two guitars, but it confirmed for me that even if the bridge is not situated in exactly the same spot the saddles had plenty of room to make up for the difference.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
So I checked out a CV Custom baritone at a shop and compared it to a standard CV Tele. Setting them side by side on a table, facing each other, and looking at them from the side it actually looked as though the baritone's bridge was just slightly more forward (i.e. positioned slightly more towards the neck) than the standard CV. The difference looked to be about 1/4".

This was entirely unscientific, just eyeballing the two guitars, but it confirmed for me that even if the bridge is not situated in exactly the same spot the saddles had plenty of room to make up for the difference.
If there is a difference, keep in mind it’s not just the saddles. If the bridge is in a different spot, the pickup will be in a different spot, and that affects everything sonically.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
OK, so without any hard data coming up here, I went ahead and measured.

Distance from end/butt of neck in pocket along 3rd string to the saddle (where the string goes over, not the end of the hardware unit):

Squier Baritone Cabronita (2021): 7 1/4 inches
Squier 72 Tele Custom CV (2019): 7 1/4 inches.

Make of that what you will.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The dimension you need is the heel of the pocket to the bridge inserts. Compare that on the guitar the normal neck comes off of with the Bari body.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
The dimension you need is the heel of the pocket to the bridge inserts. Compare that on the guitar the normal neck comes off of with the Bari body.
OK, I gave heel of pocket (another way to say butt of neck) to top of saddle. What is a bridge insert in this case?

Last edited:

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
OK, I gave heel of pocket (another way to say butt of neck) top of saddle. What is a bridge insert in this case?
just an average location where the string bends over the bridge. Where it actually intonates. It will vary from high E to Low E maybe 1/8" to 3/16" or so.
Looks to be about 7.5" on a Strat or Tele. If you can adjust the Bari bridge insert to about 7.5" it ought to work.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
just an average location where the string bends over the bridge. Where it actually intonates. It will vary from high E to Low E maybe 1/8" to 3/16" or so.
Looks to be about 7.5" on a Strat or Tele. If you can adjust the Bari bridge insert to about 7.5" it ought to work.
That's the measurement I provided, see above. I chose the 3rd string on each because they are more 'centered' in intonation sweep.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
One concern might be the tuner 'holes' of the regular neck may not be large enough to accommodate the fatter baritone strings.