Put a date to a Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TRogers2281, Mar 30, 2013.

1. TRogers2281

TRogers2281 Tele-Meister

So, I came across a Tele today, appears to be Lake Placid Blue, said "Circa 1960"

But I was wondering when Fender slapping the Gold "Spaghetti" decals on Teles, because I've never seen a Tele with a Rosewood (60's) neck but a Gold Decal... Any inormation would be awesome!

Attached Files:

2. TRogers2281

TRogers2281 Tele-Meister

Oh! And I'm wondering if there was a Six Saddle "ashtray" bridge available back then, or if it was a modification.

It has a Tophat switch, and it's got a D-G String Tree, in addition to a B-E one.

And the magnets in the Pickup aren't staggered, and it's wrapped in black.

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

The gold decals were used from early 1966 until the fall of 1967, when the black "CBS" logo appeared.

The rosewood fingerboard was introduced in mid 1959 and it was a "slab board" (flat on its base) until July 1962 when a curved "veneer board" replaced it.

The 6 saddle "hammer" bridge (not one of Fender's better ideas) was introduced in the mid 1970s but was sold by Fender dealers as an aftermarket upgrade.

The top hat switch tip is correct from 1956 onwards.

The second string retainer was added by Fender in 1972. From the position of the G-D retainer on your photo I'd say someone added it.

The pickup is a puzzle. Staggered poles were introduced in 1955 and continued throughout Tele production until flat ones were used again on the first '52 Vintage Reissues in 1981.

4. TRogers2281

TRogers2281 Tele-Meister

No, not a transition logo, a 50's style "Spaghetti" logo, but with a rosewood board

5. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

The 50's style (used up to early 1966) "spaghetti" logo was silver, not gold.

6. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

Partscaster made up of vintage parts maybe?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.