1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Push/pull volume selector?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Derekc51133, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Derekc51133

Derekc51133 TDPRI Member

Hello,
    I was curious if there is a way to wire a push/pull volume pot to select the individual pickup volumes so you don't have to sacrifice your tone knob? So when it's pushed in it controls the neck pickup volume and when it's pulled it controls the bridge pickup volume? A wiring schematic would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

2. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

Maybe try a concentric pot? Otherwise one knob will still change position. I'm not exactly sure how it would wire up, but a concentric pot would let you set, and leave in place, 2 different volume levels.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

You could do this, but you'd sacrifice the bridge + neck together and you couldn't have each set individually. I agree that a concentric pot would be a better way to go, and there's chrome knobs readily available that would fit it.

4. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Do you not want the bridge and neck together? Like the middle on 3 way. If so a duel concentric pot or control plate with 3 holes instead of 2 with separate volume controls. It depends on what you want your switch to do. Go to Guitarnts2 site. Lots of good wiring diagrams there. Check it out and see if there is one that suits your needs. Keep on pickin!

5. Derekc51133

Derekc51133 TDPRI Member

I like to play with a nice crunchy overdrive on, with my neck pickup down super low so it's almost clean and my bridge pickup on full blast. I never use both pickups together. I like having them set at drastically different volumes so I can switch between the two instantly. Listen to "Since I've Been Lovin You" by Led Zeppelin and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

6. 2manyteles

2manyteles TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

How would that be any different than just turning your volume down? It's not like the push/pull can give you two presets.
    Why don't you just get a control plate that can accommodate 2 volumes a tone and switch?

7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

>push/pull volume pot <

I've added pots to Teles for switch options and normally you have to do the tone pot as the cavity is routed deeper under there......Some Fender's anyway.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.