Push pull to switch between series and parallel

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Shunter100, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Shunter100

Shunter100 TDPRI Member

There must be hundreds of threads on this but for the life of me I can't find the relevant one.

I'm looking for a wiring diagram for a 2 pick up tele, 3 way selector switch, with a push-pull pot on the volume knob for switching between series and parallel.

For some reason I can't find one? Anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance.

2. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Try the Seymour Duncan site. Seems to be able to provide most wiring options in really clear layouts.

3. Shunter100

Shunter100 TDPRI Member

I couldn't see it there. Do you need to register to see the diagrams? I've seen a diagram with the push pull pot in the tone control but not on the vol control?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

It matters not where the switching pot is...on the volume or the tone. You have to take the lead wire from the P/P switch to the 3-way selector. You will need to break the ground on whichever pickup you switch at the push/pull. I would suggest that the cover ground at the neck be broken. Run the cover's ground to ground at the volume pot. Then, the two winding leads go to the P/P for the series/parallel.

5. Shunter100

Shunter100 TDPRI Member

Well that's encouraging as I think I have a diagram with a push pull on the tone control so that might do it

I would have thought a push pull on the Bol was more logical though, given its location and on the control plate.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Having done both push-pull and 4-way switch, I like the 4-way better and through 'bay the components are about the same price. Here's the push-pull from Phostenix.

[​IMG]

7. Shunter100

Shunter100 TDPRI Member

I already have the push pull thing from another guitar and generally the less switch option the less chance of selecting the wrong one!

So in the above diagram, if the push-pull is on the vol pot, which wires would be different?

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Go to Deaf Eddies site. He has a diagram that when you use the push/pull it gives you the series position no matter where the selector switch is.

This is the one I would do next time instead of the 4 way.

If you use the p/p for the tone pot, you could make it a no load pot.

9. Wally

Shunter, nothing changes except the positing of the switch on the push/pull. The wiring is the same....just 'see' the switch on the volume instead of the tone.

10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My question is why take the 1 option of series & move it to a different arena of your guitar? You already have your 3 way switch in 1 spot. I'd just put the energy into installing a 4 way & keep it all together. Unless i'm missing something of course.

11. Shunter100

Shunter100 TDPRI Member

I was thinking with a 3 way switch and s push pull I have all the parts I need already - minus the knowledge to make it all work!

I'm also thinking a push pull is preferable to a 4 way as it preserves the standard 3 way switch do you don't have to worry about missing the right switch position. I find with strats for example its easy to go to switch to one position and accidentally go into a different one. A 3 way switch has a nice chinky feel to it. I also have a 5 way switch to hand but it feels pretty flimsy.

What's a good make for a solid feeling 4 way?

12. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

13. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

Usually the cavity is routed out deeper under the tone pot, you may not have room to get one in there by using the volume position.

14. Shunter100

Shunter100 TDPRI Member

The cavity is definitely deep enough for the push pull pot on the volume as is. The harness etc fits. It's just odd that there's no wiring diagram out there for this configuration. I've got the kit, just don't know how to wire it.

15. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

series/parallel is normally done with the 4-way selector which is in the wiring diagrams here. So it's easy enough to figure out with a push pull pot.
    I used a push-pull pot for inversion on the Baja in place of the S-1 because I prefer a linear volume pot (its 4-way does the series/parallel thing)

The No-Load 'Delta' tone pot can produce loud 'popping' in use, the 2-ganged TBX tone control is more complicated but can be a better option if you actually use your tone control.

The wiring in a tele control cavity is usually messy with everything just crammed in. It should not be, it should be kept short, neat and tidy or it becomes noisy.

16. Wally

Shunter, you have the push/pull. You don't want to buy a 4-way switch. You have the diagram for wiring the switch on the push pull. if the bridge pickup in your guitar has a ground that is separate from the winding...which gives you the pickup winding ends and a ground wire for the bridge, then all you have to do is wire the switch part of the push/pull that you want as a volume exactly as it is done in that diagram in post #6. You are making a false assumption that the switch part of the P/P pot is part and parcel of the pot....it is not. The switch and the pot are strategy. Look at it that way and you will understand this thing. If not, it is tech time, IMHO.

17. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

What's wrong with the one jvin248 posted ????

18. Shunter100

Shunter100 TDPRI Member

Nothing beyond the fact that my push pull pot is located on the vol control and I wasn't sure how to flip that part of the diagram to the vol pot

Everything is identical except the pink, green, blue and yellow which flip to the vol pot? That's probably a dumb question - bear with me!

19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here ya go. As Wally said, it's just a matter of moving the switch from one pot to the other.

There are minor wiring differences, that don't make a difference. For example, all grounds must connect together. Doesn't matter how.

Don't forget to separate your neck cover if it's not already, and ground the cover. The reason you need to do this is that in series, the neck common, which normally connects to ground, connects to B+. But the cover still needs to go to ground.

Attached Files:

20. Shunter100

Shunter100 TDPRI Member

Excellent. Thanks to all of you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.