Pursuit of another OD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by swleamon, Jan 29, 2012.

1. swleamon

swleamon Tele-Holic

I just had my '66 Deluxe Reverb modded so the normal channel is far more usable (tone stack mod, more tweed/British - sounds amazing). As I now A/B channels for clean and dirty. I have a nice effects chain for the normal channel that will almost always be set for crunch/grind and solos.

In my clean chain I have an OD808 that I'm not loving much. I just want a bit of hair on my clean channel at times, but the OD808 kinda sucks the life out of the low mids (I know, that and the mid hump is part of its charm).

Any recommendations for a clean, yet transparent mild OD that also plays nice with the Vib channel of the Deluxe Reverb (still has the bright cap)? Here is my current chain. How about the ZenDrive?

PolyTune -> EP Booster -> Lehle Switcher ->

Barber Tone Press -> OCD -> Boiling Point -> Carbon Copy -> Wampler Spring Reverb -> Normal Channel

Dyna Comp (script) -> OD808 -> JHS Klone (if it ever arrives) -> EHX Neo Clone -> Aqua Puss -> Vibrato Channel

2. swleamon

swleamon Tele-Holic

Nothing? Maybe the Klon will achieve what I'm looking for - not certain until I receive it.

3. Vox66

Vox66 Tele-Meister

I just bought a Zendrive and it sounds great with my '65 BFDR. It's a keeper!

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I really like the Barber Direct Drive with the Drive barely on, and the (harmonics "pull" switch OFF) as it gives me just a little breakup still with nice clean detail...at higher Drive settings, it is like a TS (with its Drive UP) , with grind and sustain, but w/o the bass cut... Now, I did pull the bright cap off the Vibrato channel years ago.

Also had a "Half-Tweed" mod done to the Normal channel which sounds similar to OP's, plus Reverb and Trem work on both channels. This is great as I can do low volume jams with either another guitar player, or a bass player thru the DR (got a 120 watt spkr)

5. Charlie Davis

Charlie Davis TDPRI Member

Sparkle Drive would probably work very well

6. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

Great pedal! A Blackface Fender and the Zen are like peaches and cream!

7. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Mad Professor Sweet Honey, Barber LTD, Way Huge Pork Loin, etc. All of those are great. I personally use the Sweet Honey and like it. Got it in Nashville last year when the guys at Rock Block recommended it to me for a nice Fender cranked sound in a box - but I use a '68 Super Reverb set clean and use pedals for gain.

I want to pick up a Sparkle Drive soon and perhaps the WH Pork Loin.

All of those are clear, clean OD's and very mild.

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

+Red snapper...dial in low to med OD and keeps it clean

9. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I like the Marshall Blues Breaker (version 1) a lot. Have you tried the JHS Morning Glory? BTY, how do you like the Boiling Point?

10. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

I guess the KLon will make it.
    I have a Klon clone and its such an amazing pedal.As a boost or overdrive - amazing!

11. swleamon

swleamon Tele-Holic

Thank you all for the good suggestions! I might hold off till the Klon arrives and see if it is the sound I'm looking for. HOPEFULLY - it arrives this week.

12. Vox66

Vox66 Tele-Meister

Yep!

13. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

I'm sure someone is gonna recommend the Barber pedals, like the half gainer, since you already have the comp.

I'd also throw out cheap option:
    Dano CTO-1 Transparent OD
    Or maybe the Nobels ODR-1?

And the slightly more expensive:
    Fulltone Plimsoul. The Setting with the sustain down and the 2nd stage disappled and the highcut dimed does a very cool clean-ish od sound.

14. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

I always recommend a rangemaster type boost instead -analog man beano boost, throbak strangemaster -they cut it with everyamp I`ve come across. Serious germanium funk, not these clean boosts that abound . . .

15. ProdableOne

ProdableOne TDPRI Member

May i also suggest a Rook or a Timmy.

16. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I have four OD pedals that I have used with my DR, and quite honestly there is only one out of the four I'll be keeping and that's the "Tim". It is unbelievably transparent, clean and authentic as far as a mild od. It is very easy to dial in beautiful tones on the DR's vibrato channel.

The others I've used:

TS 10....too much mid hump
    Lovepedal E Burst....too synthetic, unnatural sounding
    Xotic AC+....not a bad pedal at all, just not quite as authentic as Tim

I went with the Tim just for the added boost stage compared to that of the Timmy, but in hindsight the Timmy would've been enough for me

17. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Bad Bob Boost sounds killer with BF Fenders (tweeds and SF's too) Especially with Teles and Strats. Adds that fantastic edge to your cleans - and will bump up your drive nicely too.

18. doubbledeyed

doubbledeyed TDPRI Member

hi fellow guitarist
    +1 danelctro cto-1
    and try boss bd-2 or boss od-3

GOD BLESS

19. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

20. swleamon

swleamon Tele-Holic

Happy to say the Klon/Klone was exactly what I was looking for. Just enough 'breakup' sound for my clean channel. Unfortunately now the OD808 sounds terrible anywhere I put it in the chain. Which is fine, off the board and onto Craigslist it goes.

I find it curious that the Boiling Point is rarely mentioned. It's a remarkable pedal. The only downside is that it is so versatile that you'll want 3 or 4 on your board to access its capabilities on the fly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.