Purple stratocaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joekumpan3, Nov 19, 2014.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

image-2499274122.jpg

I soldered the Orange drop .47 capacitor before dinner tonight. I would have used a pio capacitor but since these are modern pickups I'll go with a modern cap.

2. joekumpan3

image-2524047525.jpg

I am going to do a 50's style wiring with cloth pushback wire but I want a tone for the bridge humbucker so I am going to use this routing. The bottom tone knob will be rear pickup and the top tone knob will be the neck/middle.

3. joekumpan3

image-2745788582.jpg

Since there is no tremolo claw I have to attach the ground to the bottom of the Kahler frame. I will run the second black wire from the jack to the tremolo route and to a piece of copper tape or screw.

4. joekumpan3

image-3949477788.jpg

Aaaaannnnnnddddd...........I just realized that they sent me the wrong jack. Possible that I ordered the wrong one too.

5. joekumpan3

image-4217652170.jpg

So done wiring until I get another jack, I have to wait to finish the body anyway.

6. joekumpan3

image-1321019494.jpg

I ordered a black neck plate and I plan on using the vintage style nickel wood screws with it to kind of match the pickguard.

7. joekumpan3

image-3376525933.jpg

The screws are better too. I have a stamped chrome neck plate but don't wast to go through the hassle of having it plated black. I could lacquer it maybe, but it would look crappy when it starts to rub off.

8. joekumpan3

image-2158740852.jpg

A little 50's style masking tape as well! Actually it is a smart idea and keeps the wiring all neatly in place. I left the leads long just in case I replace any of the pickups and in case I want to switch the middle and neck pickup.

9. joekumpan3

image-264297381.jpg I ordered one of these little buggers from dynaguide. It is a string tree that looks a lot like the round 50' style that I wanted but has a little bar that moves with the sting when the tremolo is used. It is supposed to not bind and be really good. I was going to put a teflon washer under a black round string tree and use a spacer to raise it up but this I think will be better and combines old with new.

10. Sarrkazztic

Sarrkazztic Tele-Meister

Just read through this entire thread Joe....I love the Purple and it does call back to the old Plum Crazy color of the old Dodge Challenger's and Plymouth Barricuda's. Purple was my mom's favorite color and by proxy my favorite color too so I am following along, cannot wait to see how she looks all dressed up and ready for prom. :)

11. joekumpan3

Mmmmm... My neighbor had a plum crazy challenger I thought that car was so awesome. Thanks for sharing the bit about your mom. My girlfriends favorite color is purple too and it is funny how those that we love influence a taste in colors. Every time I see purple I think of her as I'm sure yo did with your mom. It is almost ready, I am having a hard time getting more lacquer so I thing I am going to try to wet sand and see if I can get it flat with what is there. Then I should have the rest of the parts and can assemble. Oh and I have to cut string slots and level/crown the frets.

12. Sarrkazztic

Sarrkazztic Tele-Meister

I cannot wait to see how it turns out and how she sounds....can you give us more details about that Kahler trem bridge? I love that it is self contained and that there is no big hole being cut in the back of the body to allow for the claw/springs.

13. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Excellent sentence! Couldn't agree more. :)

14. joekumpan3

I remember before I joined TDPRI every time I would Google how to do something or any info on guitars really one was always a post from TDPRI. Then I found preeb building a les Paul and I was hooked. I still don't have enough time to read everything that I would like. Thanks for the comment though :)

15. joekumpan3

I can't wait either! I will post some pictures and details so you can see it. It is a really good system.

16. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Joe, looking good bradda, the color came out great.

17. joekumpan3

Thanks Bill! Hope to be done soon I am trying to sand the last little bit of shiny spots out.

18. joekumpan3

image-2304690172.jpg

The Kahler tremolo has up, down and this much space to put the saddles as close or wide as you need.

19. joekumpan3

image-1743051978.jpg

They call it a cam system and the rear portion that had the string holders and fine tuners moves up and down. It is either brass, steel so it has some heft to it.

20. joekumpan3

image-813444631.jpg

The springs attach to the cam on one end and the other end attaches to the stationary portion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.