Purple stratocaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joekumpan3, Nov 19, 2014.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

Recently I built my second guitar a pretty close representation of a 56' strat based on a guitar that a friend had on loan. I made templates for it and was going to build another as a hardtail but I really want to do something more custom and modern bit based on that body and neck with some slight tweaks. The idea came from a brand new kahler tremolo that I have had for about 5 years waiting to go onto something.

So here is the idea. Ash body, flame maple neck and a black Bakelite guard with slotted vintage style screws. The pickups will be HSS and I will wind them pretty hot. The color will be a violet purple stain with a dark stain/grain filler over it. The neck profile will be more like a 57' with a really hard v, locking tuners and a Teflon slippery nut like tusq or something. All hardware will be black.

Basically I want to take all the best cool features of a vintage strat and all the best modern features and combine them, very similar to charvel but hopefully more like someone tooh a vintage guitar and cut it up and refinished it. Something like this...

image-405614227.jpg

I just ordered wood yesterday and pickup supplies a couple days ago so I hope to get started soon.

2. joekumpan3

This is the color I will be going for.

image-1792777303.jpg

3. joekumpan3

image-4004039222.jpg

Here is my Kahler tremolo that I will use I like it because it is a hybrid type that has an Allen screw to lock it from moving. Also the route doesn't go through the body so it is kind of like a hardtail but with the option of a tremolo.

4. joekumpan3

image-3881295115.jpg

And it was made to fit right in to the same area as the original fender style tremolo.

5. joekumpan3

image-1917180736.jpg

And a neck similar to this.

6. joekumpan3

image-3514170949.jpg

I may try to stain it to something like this roasted maple neck, but not as dark.

7. joekumpan3

image-3974777780.jpg

Kind of like this. Sort of.

8. joekumpan3

I ordered parts from mojotone to wind pickups and I have a few options. I ordered two extra sets of parts to experiment with five different types of pickups. The rear humbucker will probably be a dual rail ceramic mag with these.

image-1220594616.jpg

The other is a PAF style with an alnico 8 and probably a brass baseplate. I want a dimarzio super distortion type of sound.

9. joekumpan3

The next and maybe the most interesting is this one a strat bobbin made for a rail or bar magnet. I am going to use an alnico 5 bar magnet with awg 43 gauge enamel wire. In fact all of them will probably use this wire.

image-1698833070.jpg

10. joekumpan3

The next will be a rail with small bobbins and undecided if the rad will be flat or curved I ordered both. Probably flat for this one.

image-4235016131.jpg

11. joekumpan3

image-3013931337.jpg

The last is a half a single coil shaped bobbin with a rail.

12. joekumpan3

image-310637634.jpg

Both those get these bottoms. The hard part will be figuring how to wind them all differently to make them sound unique.

13. joekumpan3

I think the half single coil type I will wind a little mismatched with whatever fits on the bobbin, the other mini humbucker ltype I think I am going to match very closely so it is smooth. The bar magnet one I will just see how much fits with 43 gauge. I do have 42 gauge formivar and enamel but I want to try more winds on all of these. For the ceramic rail I have the option of two or four magnets I will start with four and remove two if I feel like it is too much, they will also probably be mismatched coils with the hot being overwound. The alnico 8 paf type will have the slug coil overwound. That is the plan as of now all subject to change of course. I have not decided if I am going to make the pickups able to be split or not mainly because I don't know if I want pull knobs or extra switches. I am going to leave the lead wires long so I can switch the middle and neck pickup while I am experimenting.

14. joekumpan3

image-2457398802.jpg

I was originally going to make just a single humbucker version with a telecaster esquire switching. I still probably will just to have an option to switch when I get bored, I really like the telecaster top hat switch tip and jazz bass knobs and will probably do that on both guards.

15. joekumpan3

Oh yeah one mor thing that I plan for this is I have always wanted big dots on the neck for fret markers like 1/2" or 3/8" probably the 3/8" or both,but definitely Bakelite!

16. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Purple is nice. I will be looking over your shoulder.

17. joekumpan3

thanks Glenn, you are always one of the first to comment, I find that comforting.

18. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

You might want to measure the space available for the 19th fret dot so you don't go with something too big to fit there.

19. joekumpan3

I did the 3/8" just fits but it may like cool with the big ones "dripping" over into the other frets. It might screw up a sideways fret install though. I will experiment and draw out what it will look like on a printed template PDF.

20. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Is the headstock going to be standard strat like?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.