Purple Roadworn?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by raysachs, Aug 2, 2018.

1. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Different. Fun.

boris bubbanov and kylejf90 like this.
  2. kylejf90

kylejf90 Tele-Meister

I think it's pretty rad. If it is a nod to Danish Pete, that's epic, he's a rock solid player. Anyone in the youtube guitar community that plays that guitar says it's amazing. Will these be as amazing? unlikely. But, look. We've had so many blonde, black, sunburst, Telecasters. Lets get some cool colors again! :cool:It's as bad as cars these days. Silver, black, grey, white. :mad:

LocoTex and Evil Funk like this.
  3. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The whole reliced, and road worn thing is lost on me. Growing up I could only afford other's peoples beat up guitars, so now that I can buy new stuff I don't want it to look used. I am not going to give you $899 for a chipped up finish!

4. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Ya see I have a problem when they issue things that never would have been.

Maybe a Road Worn silver or gold sparkle which might have existed in the "country" world but purple?

Prince wasn't even born yet.

Gary

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I welcome guitars from alternate universes!

Kreepy likes this.
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fender would make basically whatever a store requested back in the day.

For every “I don’t get relics” post there could be a “I don’t get buying pristine guitars and crying when they get an imperceptible ding” post. See how that works?

Difference being those who like relics typically keep the latter sentiments to themselves.

Kreepy, BrandonIke, rich815 and 2 others like this.
  7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

That thing is sweet! I like the shade. And the binding looks great. You could always just play the purple right off.

8. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Very cool. Nice to see Fender take a step out of their comfort zone. Too bad it’s $899; that’s about $450 more than I’d pay for a guitar at this point.

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like purple. I wouldn't have it as my only tele color but its a nice change if you already own a bunch of traditional looking tele's, strats etc.

10. backwater

backwater TDPRI Member

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  11. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Ditto. I like it but, ultimately, it's about the player. I'd guarantee that it'd sound no better than any other guitar I own (i.e. pretty naff).

The whole relic / road-worn thing is interesting, though. If one buys a guitar that is 100% new and pristine condition, then puts some buckle rash on it, drops it of a stand a few times and give it the odd authentic ding, then gradually erode the paint job, gets finger marks on the fret board and the shiny chrome bits corrode and dull, we'd have a job selling it at anything like what we paid for it - as everyone will know that it started off clean and pristine and at a lower price point.

Conversely, if we pay an extra few hundred (probably more) pounds / dollars for a deliberately aged look and then add to that with actual wear and tear, we'd probably be able to get a lot closer (in percentage terms) to the amount we paid for it when we come to sell or trade.

I wonder if Fender will ever sell that colour / spec in a new / pristine finish or is the colour and finish combination a unique "code" that says this was a relic / road worn guitar?

12. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I’m a Vikings fan...... throw on a yellow pickguard and I’ll take it!! Ok, maybe lower the price a little too. I’m in at $500.

jordans0nly and hellopike like this.
  13. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Is it just me, or does the finished look more translucent than solid in the pictures?

14. Chunkocaster

It takes longer to finish a guitar in nitro lacquer than it does in uv cured poly.
    The relicing is also adding time into producing the guitar which then gets passed on to the buyer. I'd love a real vintage strat or tele as they are what I lusted over in the 70's and 80's. The reliced or clean nitro finished guitars are closer to those and I prefer the feel over poly so i'm happy to pay a little more for a couple of those. Overall the best value is in models like the classic vibe series imo but it's nice to have fender on the headstock and non poly if that's what your prefer. Personally I prefer to build partscasters now if I get an itch for a new fender type guitar.

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  15. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Agreed. I wanted a nitro finished guitar and I went for an AVRI 56 Strat and really like it. I'm just not sure I'd go for a road-worn or relic / Custom Shop version. I had a great chat with John Cruz when he visited Peach Guitars near where I live last year and the Custom Shop clearly do great work. However, I think it is for a certain audience and, given the prices involved, to justify the cost I reckon you've got to be a real enthusiast, a really good guitarist or both - and I'm neither.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. Chunkocaster

Yeah the relic thing is not to everyone's taste. When they first appeared they took me a bit to warm to as well. I bought a road worn Olympic white 60's strat back in 2010 because it was the cheapest way to get a factory nitro strat I liked at the time. One of the great things about pre beat up guitars is you can play the hell out of them without a care in the world. Get a new ding and it doesn't matter. It still bothers me when I damage the finish on one of my non relic guitars.

rich815 likes this.
  17. Evil Funk

Evil Funk Tele-Meister

id want more relic'ing and a darker shade of purple.

18. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

It's not binding, just reflections along the edge.

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Well, it looks great and it's not one of the same old recycled colors we're always seeing.

20. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

I wouldn't waste my money! I don't particularly care for the colour or the beat up look. I love sunbursts - just not on every guitar. If this was more around the $450.00 - $500.00 range then I could see this being a good deal for someone else. If this was a darker purple colour then I'd probably be interested.

Unfortunately there's a train of thought that function and form are two different things but we now know that this simply isn't true with guitars. Form and function go hand in hand. Sadly colours don't always follow too.

Nope! No binding - you are correct. It's not thick enough for binding. It's simply reflection from light glare.

That's because those colours are cheap and easy to manufacture in paint. But don't forget red - it's just as popular as ever.

I don't understand why anyone would want to pay the ridiculous prices for what's supposed to be a BRAND NEW guitar and MORE than one in pristine condition that simply looks as though someone has dragged it down a gravel road, set fire to it, pissed on it, and flushed it down the toilet - TWICE! What's the point? I'd much rather buy it new and inflict my OWN damage on it!! Isn't THAT what everyone eventually does? What I also DON'T get is why does Guitar Center, and Sweetwater Sound put THESE on the top WAAAYYyyyyy up high at the north pole where no one can get to them, but put the BRAND NEW ones at the middle and bottom? Wouldn't you want the guitars that show NO DAMAGE WHATSOEVER at the top where not just anyone can come in play, put scratches all over it, and fingerprints, and whatever. Since the relic guitars are already horrid looking and no one would know if they DID get some type of damage from playing - wouldn't THAT add a little more mojo to them?

No, but purple was! I never knew the FENDER of all people admitted to painting a 1954 Strat PURPLE for a guy in Vegas. I don't remember his name, but I remember the interview. I guess that the he was hilariously funny, and left an impression on the people at Fender. I wonder what happened to that guitar? I know that the one Dave Gilmour bought is a super rare bird, but they did have custom colours then. I would've had one made in every colour available at the time if I had been born in time with enough money to do so.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.