1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix - An all time classic riff from the master!

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Mooncat84, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Mooncat84

Mooncat84 TDPRI Member

Is this Jimi's best riff? It's between this and Voodoo Chile for me!

schmee likes this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

A tube amp And less distortion gets it done, imho.... ommv....

3. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

How many songs do people still love after 50 years? I subbed with a band that played this last year. Purple Haze, Fire, Foxy Lady. People went nuts.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

elemental music will always last. Hendrix was a pioneer.

5. Mooncat84

Mooncat84 TDPRI Member

It's true! How many times have you seen someone play the intro to Voodoo Chile and people go crazy straight away! Beyond being a legendary guitarist, the guy just wrote amazing songs!

Elmore, teletail and Marky Forrest like this.
  6. Mooncat84

Mooncat84 TDPRI Member

Yes definitely. I don't know whether it's just me being out of touch with the current generation or whether this is true or not, but I feel like there's not really any music like that being released at the minute. Music that will still be worshipped in 50yrs. What do you think?

Wound_Up likes this.
  7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

+1 Wally. I saw Robin Trower once and the only pedals he used were a vibe pedal & wah (obvious, as that’s part of his signature sound). That’s been years ago but I still remember his tone. Just incredible. I believe he was using a Plexi into one 4x12, and a JCM800 into a another 4x12.

RoyBGood and Wally like this.
  8. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Manic Depression is another great riff-based song. Love Mitch Mitchell's drumming on that.

9. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

There’s still great music out there, it’s just much harder to find. The best thing about technology is that everyone can make a “record.” The worst thing about technology is that everyone can make a “record.”

10. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

...And he's so good that he gave Robert Fripp lessons!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    thunderbyrd and tah1962 like this.
  11. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

All due respect @Mooncat84 , but I'm noticing a slight trend, and perhaps I'm too cynical, but I would advise using some caution as far as using this forum to drive traffic to your YouTube Channel. This is a practice that is expressly prohibited:

NO PROMOS FOR BLOGS/YOUTUBE/FACEBOOK/COMPETING WEBSITES:
    You may not post links promoting your music/guitar website, blog or channel on our website. This includes using Posts, Signatures or Private Messages for this purpose. These kinds of promotions will be removed regardless of them being commercial or not.

I'm not saying you are or you are not doing this, but ask yourself this question: Could you not pose the same question to the forum without posting the video from your YouTube channel?

I love Jimi Hendrix as much as anyone, but this is not the first riff video you have posted, and I'm not sure what kind of traffic you might be gathering otherwise.

Just my opinion...

Gardo and RoyBGood like this.
  12. Mooncat84

Mooncat84 TDPRI Member

Absolutely love that song. I actually think it's one of his best vocal performances too. It's one of those ones that when I'm listening to the album through, I'll play that one twice so I can sing along twice!

RoyBGood likes this.
  13. Mooncat84

Mooncat84 TDPRI Member

Yeah for lots of guys it's just mainly all in the fingers. SRV being a classic example!

tah1962 likes this.
  14. Mooncat84

Mooncat84 TDPRI Member

Hmm I guess it's a little of both. The discussions are genuine, but also it's nice to have people watch a video you've made. I can stop though if it's pissing everybody off.

15. teletimetx

It's not pissing me off; I'm just suggesting you examine your own motives. That's up to you.

I think the discussion part is great.

But does the discussion really require your video or not?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I'd rather hear Jimi's version...

RoyBGood likes this.
  16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah those were great songs. Saw Hendrix 3 times. The concerts were loud and pretty gnarly tone. We used to play all those songs. The best was when I had my 50w Double Marshall stack and hollow Guild Bluesbird/M75. The only pedal I had was a Mosrite Fuzzrite. You could stand in front of the stack and go for minutes with that Foxy Lady starting note feeding back.... rotate one way you get a high harmonic, the other way a different harmonic.. shake it baby!

teletimetx and RoyBGood like this.
  17. Mooncat84

Mooncat84 TDPRI Member

Super jealous you saw him 3 times! I'm sure that was an ear-blasting volume. Yeah I'm using a Zvex Fuzz Factory. It's a beast! Super hard to tame lol.

schmee likes this.
  18. Wound_Up

Wound_Up TDPRI Member

So, and I'm asking because I'm generally interested, if one didn't have a 'channel' they were actively running and were only using YouTube vids for the sole reason to record their playing and ask for critique, would that be OK? In my mind, theres no ulterior motives there. Just attempts to improve. So what say you? Maybe we should ask a mod/admin?

And that's not what's happened here, correct? There was no critiques. Just a vid to go along with a question. Right? Which would be the difference.

On a side note, my uncle, Greg Brewton, used to drive a top fuel funny car called 'Voodoo Chile II' back in the mid-late 70s. I always thought he was the coolest becaue he drove top fuel dragsters and funny cars professionally for a while. He renamed the Corvette funny car Maybelline shortly after.

[​IMG]

From http://www.70sfunnycars.com/forgotten.html

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  19. teletimetx

We sure could ask a mod/admin, because I'm not.

Critiques? - there's already a place for that kind of activity, (critiques or review or just listening to your playing) right here on TDPRI, it's called Twanger Central
    https://www.tdpri.com/forums/twanger-central.21/

and it's a fine place, all kinds of stuff to listen to or backing tracks to download and then upload back so folks can listen to your take. So there is already a sub-forum for that, and in fact, a number of teacher-types have uploaded stuff from their instructional youtube channels to get feedback on their videos. Perfectly fine with that.

What I'm trying to avoid is feeling like the forum is being used to build up someone's youtube channel visitor count, that's all, and it seems to me like the questions asked are kind of gratuitous, where the OP himself admits that he kind of likes having people visit the channel.

tempest in a teapot, maybe.

Your uncle's vehicle looks like it might make for an interesting ride! Yeeehaw!

I have a work colleague/friend who does some small track racing in Kansas with a souped up pickup truck and wins a few races just to prove it can be done...always brings a smile to my face.

Wound_Up likes this.
  20. Mooncat84

Mooncat84 TDPRI Member

I actually appreciate the referral to Twanger Central as it seems like it might be a more appropriate forum. Thing with this forum is, there doesn't seem to be a sticky with the exact forum rules that I can see (whereas Twanger Central does have that). Therefore, if you're posting a video that includes some instruction or technique etc, a forum called "Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique" seems like exactly the place to put it! So I will migrate and try to use Twanger Central instead. I guess I had also assumed that the wanting critique part would be obvious, but I'll be sure to state that clearly from now on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.