Pure Tone Multi-Contact 1/4" Output Jack

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by archtop_fjk, Aug 31, 2018.

1. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

This looks like a great idea... From Stew-Mac...

I normally use standard mono switchcraft jacks for my guitars, but this looks like it would hold much better and less likely to have problems with active use.

Pure Tone Multi-Contact 1/4" Jack

[​IMG]

2. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I posted about these several months ago and was kindly told they were nothing more than snake oil. I bought a few anyway, and the second one I installed failed at my first gig. I'm not sure why, couldn't figure it out, so I un-installed it.
    YMMV

3. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

It's a smart idea, and I'm amazed it took so long for someone to come up with this. Equal pressure from either side of the plug just makes complete sense.

I think marketing it as any kind of enhancement to "tone" is perhaps an unwise move. For durability? Absolutely.

4. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic

I think a good quality jack of traditional design is perfectly fine, and I've rarely ever had a problem with them. But when I saw these, they seemed like such a ridiculously good idea that I bought a couple anyway. Haven't gotten around to putting them in anything yet, so no anecdotes from me.

If anyone's claiming they improve tone, they're nuts. You either have contact, or you don't. Looks like a nice mechanical way to maintain a nice, tight connection, but no, it's not going to impact your tone.

3-Chord-Genius and darren7 like this.
  5. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Actually the one sided pressure keeps the shaft (usually ground) in contact with the sleeve of the jack... Seems pretty perfect to me and to a lot of other folks using the traditional jacks for ages now.

Wally and tintag27 like this.
  6. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

My thoughts exactly. My assumption is that symmetrical forces applied to the plug should help with maintaining contact (while adding redundancy) and prevent stress-related failures from uneven torque over the long term.

7. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

That Switchcraft #11 that's been going for 80ish years now still seems pretty okay. The problem is the off-brand or no-brand ones that come in a lot of things that just don't hold well.

8. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

Another big factor is whether the player uses a straight or angled plug on the end of their cable. I always recommend angled plugs at the guitar end. Straight plugs can put huge lateral forces on the jack contacts, which is inevitably how they get deformed and break.

xafinity likes this.
  9. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

"The patented Pure Tone jack contains dual tension grounds and dual positive tips for optimal signal and lowest possible noise. 100% greater surface area at all contact points creates a more stable connection; as a result, high and low frequencies are greatly improved creating a much more balanced sound while eliminating frequency spikes."
    https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and.../Pure_Tone_Multi-Contact_1_4_Output_Jack.html

They're treating us like fxxxing idiots. I guess that's what you get for believing electric tone woods. :rolleyes:

10. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I put a stereo jack in my Strat thinking that it would have a 2nd thingie holding the plug. Makes 0 difference..

11. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

Yeah, I really wish they hadn't gone in that whole "tone" nonsense direction when marketing this thing. It really turns me off. Talk about the mechanical advantages like the symmetrical tension on the springs, and the redundant connections, but don't hand me BS like "eliminating frequency spikes." I'm not as dumb as I look. Who could be?

Widerange Hum likes this.
  12. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

most of my amps have the cheesey imputs attached to the fragile printed circuit board. I have been using a 12" extension cord with a angled plug on the amp and plug guitar into it. permanent strain relief.

TigerG likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The shiny look is a dead giveaway of poor made jack. Aren't there Switchcraft's with double contacts? But just a good Switchcraft normal jack is pretty much bulletproof.

14. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I thought it was a good idea then realized I could count on zero fingers the number of times I've had a good quality standard jack fail on me in 45 years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.