Pure Sky CP-12 Review

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by FenderLover, Jan 17, 2015.

1. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I got my Caline CP-12 Pure Sky from China a couple of days ago so I thought I'd take it apart and see what made it tick. First, it was nice to see through-hole components for experimentation if desired. I was also able to verify that it was indeed a Timmy (no big surprise), without the extra two clipping diodes and switch, and without the goofy off-center reference bias. The chip was a socketed JRC4559.

One more exception to the Timmy would be the operation of the Bass and Treble controls. They operate with the more conventional CW=more rotation, rather than the 'backwards' cut controls. The Bass and Treble pots are 50KC and 10KC tapers, respectively. The rest of the components (that matter) checked out against the Timmy schematic. The bias resistor going to pin 3 was 470K instead of the Timmy 510K. I've never verified the Timmy was 510K either, but the difference is insignificant.

The pedal sounds as good as any Timmy I've built, probably because I don't use the extra clipping diodes or off-set bias either, and I also wire the Tone controls the same way.

Enough about the Good. Now for the Bad. Quality SUCKS. The board was wave soldered, and the pots were hand soldered. The wave solder process had a bad temperature profile (from my manufacturing experience) because there was excessive solder on the wave side (bottom) and very little if any wicking through the plated holes and up the component leads. The hand soldering of the pots was just as bad. It looked as though they used a solder with a huge diameter, which causes you to use too much before it wicks through the plated holes. There were solder balls all over the back side of the board, excessive solder, and leads that were poorly trimmed, leaving a potential for shorting.

The socketed chip was not fully seated on one side, and most components looked like a 3-year-old was shown how to insert them.

The screws holding the bottom plate on were either not long enough or the holes were tapped wrong. There are nice looking threads at the tops of each hole, but the screws fall straight through them to the bottom of the hole where they only catch between 1 and 3 threads. One screw doesn't catch any threads with the cover on.

I hate the plastic jacks because there is barely enough thread for the nuts to secure them tightly. It looked very much like the Lovepedals and many others who need to design for fast assembly. I could be wrong, but I didn't see any connection where they could have used the metal box as an advantage for shielding the way that Boss does. The power jack is also PC mounted the way many seem to be now.

The paint and graphics were nice, and the knobs used hex set screws. The 3P3T switch looked like the same quality switches the on-line parts retailers sell.

After a few minutes dressing up the board and resoldering a few connections, it is now probably as good as many products of higher initially quality, but that's probably why it got a Timmy delivered to my door for $32 including shipping. I'll loose one of the screws eventually, but I got what I paid for. Now I can modify it.

2. thinkdifferent

thinkdifferent Tele-Meister

Thanks for your work and the insights!

3. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

I had wondered about those pedals, and your post answered all of my questions and more. Edifying!

Guys like you who open these boxes up, know what to look for, then share their findings with us do the whole community a service. So thanks!

Marc Morfei and Guitaryellow like this.
  4. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

I just gor the Pure Sky and Orange Burst from Donner. I love the Pure Sky. The Orange Burst sounds like a tube screamer on steroids. Has a mid bump that makes it feel thin on a clean channel. It does work great at goosing an amp with gain.

5. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I just got one of these and I think it's a great sounding pedal. I have no idea if it sounds as good as what it clones. but it's really great a mild to moderate overdrive. It has a distinct bass cut , so the overdrive is focused without being either scooped or boosted in the mids. It feels right, more like an amp than a pedal.

I didn't take mine apart, but I did open the back and it does look like some of the soldering could have been better--the solder doesn't form a dimple on the underside. But otherwise it seems very solid. Very impressed and happy with the sound

gtrplr likes this.
  6. anonymous12

anonymous12 TDPRI Member

Here's a quick and dirty demo of the Pure Sky. This is the best overdrive pedal I have ever owned. I love this pedal for its transparent tone with the tone knobs at 12 O'Clock and its smooth, musical overdrive. I also prefer its tone knobs to those of the Timmy because my Les Paul's neck pickup absolutely sings with the treble knob turned up.

7. anonymous12

anonymous12 TDPRI Member

Another Pure Sky demo, this time neck pickup tones with the treble knob turned up:

8. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

It's a great pedal

9. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Pure Sky. unfortunately it POPs like crazy when I hit the footswitch.

Did one gig with it but decided the POP sound is too loud for me.

If there was some SIMPLE way to fix this, I'd go for it.

10. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm...
    I did this review in Jan 2015, and mine is still pop-free. However, I got a Rockett Archer that has started to pop so this is something that comes up with pedals of all quality, or lack of quality, whichever the case may be.

11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Sounds good to me...

12. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

That Allman Bros demo was pretty darn sweet!

13. anonymous12

anonymous12 TDPRI Member

All electric guitars are through the Pure Sky:

14. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

Yah, the soldering quality is still pretty poor on this fine pedal. I got mine this week, and it stopped working after only three stomps on the footswitch. So I opened it up (cover screws are still too short in 2018), and retouched all the solder joints on the backside. Now it is working again, rather fabulously. Thumbs up.

15. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Soldering a 1M resistor from the input to ground usually does the trick.

16. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

I love mine it’s been solid no issues gets me an srv tone

17. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

In this case, it's probably a dying footswitch. I hate it when they do that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.