Pure '64 pickups 4 way switch not RWRP

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Danb541, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

What will happen when adding a 4 way switch to these pickups, the Pure '64 set is not RWRP. Will it work or be out of phase or something else?
    Thanks

2. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

RWRP has nothing to do with it. If it works in parallel, and you don't mess it up it'll be fine.

3. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I've had 4 Teles, 1 Squier and 1 G&L ASAT rewired to 4 way switches. With the 4 way switch you retain the 3 original Tele positions (B, B&N and N). What the 4th position on a 4 way switch adds is a bridge pickup and neck pickup in series, and it is an awesome sound. I like it so much that I change all my Teles to 4 way. If the the pickups in the guitar were RWRP before with the 3 way switch, they will stay RWRP with the new 4 way switch in the 2 pickups combined positions.

5 Teles.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Deaf Eddie and Danb541 like this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing. They'll continue to work correctly. The series position will be slightly noisier most likely. That's countered by the neck cover having a separate earth somewhat

I have a 69 Ri with five-way and the two series positions are not noticeably worse even the out of phase.

Danb541 likes this.
  5. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

Danb541 likes this.
  6. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Yes and thanks for your input, I have wired a 4 way tele before, I was wondering if it mattered that the pure 64 was not RWRP.

Geo likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The guitar will be noisier in parallel and even more so in series. That's your downside.

But, you could go another step and do the wiring scheme for the Bajas and it will work fine with non RWRP. A set of RWRP pickups is not compatible with the full Baja wiring scheme.

Danb541 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.