Purchasing a Tele Body?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mrrubberburner, Jun 15, 2010.

1. mrrubberburner

mrrubberburner NEW MEMBER!

Hey all. New to the tele forum and to world of telecasters period. Was considering purchasing an american fully loaded tele body. Does anyone have experience with this or know of things to look out for when purchasing the body alone? thanks

2. billirwin43

billirwin43 TDPRI Member

Way Expensive For What You Get

IMHO Fender American Telecasters are overpriced and under quality. But that's one man's opinion.

The guys in Corona are mostly guys from Ensenada with a green card. The guys in Ensenada were trained by the guys in Corona or is it the other way around?

My apologies if I have offended the Fender loyalists, but when you pay the kind of bux for a USA Fender that is nearly identical to an Ensenada made Tele I wonder if you really think it's worth it for a Made In USA badge.

Actually the Korean Squires are pretty darn good if you can get over the Squire stigma. Fender screwed up when they moved to Indonesia and then China with the Squire badge. Some of the Indonesia Teles wern't half bad for the money, but the early Chinese versions pretty much turned the buying public against Fender/Squire.

If you want a good cheap Tele, take a look at the Jay Turser JTLT Custom.

Made in China, but well worth the price. The low end Jay Turser Teles are low end, don't bother.

See if you can find a Raven West. For the money, the neck thru configuration is appealing. Upgrade the pickups and away you go.

I am in no way connected with Fender, Jay Turser or Raven West other than I own all 3.

Sorry for the rant

3. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

If you are buying for resale value, it's still gonna be a parts guitar.
    Identifying a body alone can be tricky and with all the scammers out there, it's buyer beware IMO.
    If you are buying from an ebay seller lite Stratosphere (no affiliation) then odds are you will not get ripped.
    If you can get a pic of the afore mentioned guitar there are many great minds on this forum who are not prejudiced against the price tag or quality of the MIA Fender products.
    I'm sure they will help.

4. FenderFan96

FenderFan96 Tele-Meister

I read this somewhere that a guy was thinkin about buying an American or Mexican guitar. Then his boss or something said "Would you rather have your guitar made in Mexico by Mexicans or have your guitar made in America by Mexicans?" I thought that was a pretty good overall view.

5. krispynoodlez

krispynoodlez Tele-Meister

I thought the MIM were more likely to use cheaper materials, veneers, 5-7 piece bodies, etc.. than the American counterparts - are these types of methods no longer in use?

6. FenderFan96

FenderFan96 Tele-Meister

Well I don't have a MIM Tele, but I do own a MIM Strat. It is great. I bought it from my brother who bought it from someone else for $200. I love it and will never sell it unless the economy really starts hurtin, to the point where the Government has to give out ration stamps, but unless that happens, it's staying in my hands.

7. 20000 Roads

20000 Roads Tele-Meister

The quality of wood used on the American models is consistently higher than the Mexican models. But, you'll still find a gem here and there among the Mexican ones. I wouldn't buy one without playing it first.

8. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

If you are just making a partscaster buy the cheapest Fender or licensed Fender body (ie. Allparts) you can get your hands on. MIM bodies are more than acceptable for a partscaster. I would never buy a USA made loaded body. The guitar you end up with is still a partscaster anyway so why spend the extra dough?

Here's a picture of my MIM bodied partsquier. Can you tell it's not a US body?

[​IMG]

9. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

Oh really? :rolleyes:

10. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

A fuly loaded body with everything but neck and tuners is gonna cost you more than a good used model of the same guitar and it wont be a partscaster.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

So if MIMs are built my Mexican workers in Mexico and MIAs are built by Mexican workers in the US, what's the biggest, indisputable difference? The hardware?

12. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

That's the million dollar question. Don't underestimate the powers of suggestion.

13. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  14. 20000 Roads

20000 Roads Tele-Meister

No need for rudeness.

This is what I've found in my experience.
    1. Note that most American bodies are 2-piece, whereas the Mexican counterparts are 3+ in most cases. They reserve the more "premium" pieces for the American guitars. I don't think I'm saying anything controversial or wildly inaccurate here. This does not entail that every American Fender is going to have better wood than a Mexican Fender, but at the very least American Fenders tend to be made of more visually attractive slabs of wood.

2. In my limited experience they also tend to be more resonant and acoustically pleasing. Once again, this doesn't nearly entail that every American Fender is going to be better than every Mexican Fender; nor does it entail that there isn't a Mexican Fender out there that tops all of the American-made ones.

Perhaps your experience differs from mine in this latter respect, but it's hard to dispute the former.

I'm not attempting to unduly praise American Fenders or disparage Mexican ones. I don't own either. (I do, however, have a lovely Squier CV that I'd put up against the best Teles from any country.)

15. edwardjeffrey

edwardjeffrey Tele-Holic

Sorry,mistake post

16. Kyluckyman

Kyluckyman Tele-Holic

I have owned three or four MIM Telecasters and one of them (I got it for a song on EBay) was exceptional! A friend later offered me an irresistable amount for it so I sold it to him. However, the lifelong dream of owning a MIA Standard overcame me and I sold all my other guitars to finance a used mint MIA Standard. I almost always buy used as it knocks some of the price off and I can do a lot of the work myself.

17. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

If you want to build a partscaster, it can get expensive quickly. Do you already have a neck? If not, I like the recommendation above of buying a used tele (e.g., from craigslist).
    It's a hell of a lot cheaper, and you can usually find someone local who'll let you try before you buy.
    But it's really fun to build your own partscaster...with your own selection of parts (pups, bridge, neck and body finishes, etc.).
    I get real embarrassed when I see some of the master builders here who can build a tele from blocks of wood....Artists!
    Good luck!

18. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Hold everything!

Not trying to be rude but you start off with this

THEN you go on to say

Where exactly did you get all these "FACTS"?

19. stratopus

stratopus TDPRI Member

I think the general consensus is that the cheaper the guitar is, the better it is. All are exactly the same regardless of price.:lol:

20. boosh

boosh Tele-Holic

From what I have read on here, maybe a MIA standard loaded body ain't the best idea for a partsacaster due to the different (3 hole?) bridge configuration? MIM standards use a 4 hole bridge and are generally alot cheaper than a MIA - mind you any Fender body is pretty hard to get over here in the UK! Would getting an MIA (although generally thought to be better quality) not limit things a bit down the line if there were mods to be done?

Also answer me this, does the MIA standard not have a 22 fret neck? Could you fit a MIM standard (21 fret) neck to the MIA body? Reason I ask is that I can get a black highway one body from a mate for cheap (so much for my previous statement about not being able to get Fender bodies in the UK), love the colour and would basically part out my MIM standard and put all the hardware etc onto the hwy 1 body. would this work due to the different number of frets on both necks?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.