Pups for 72 tele custom build

88FingersLouie

TDPRI Member
Greetings,

Anyone have pickup recommendations for a H/S 72 tele custom? Here's the twist - pretty sure I want to stay with a standard gibson sized HB in the neck. The reissue WRHBs from fender aren't built like the ones from the 70s, so I hear, and the faithful repos are mega$$$. More options with standard size as well.

I'm looking for bridge s/c that still retains some twang, will cut through a mix, but won't take the top of your head off. Played clean and with moderate dirt, but not high gain. Kinda concerned about the HB neck volume overpowering the sc bridge. Would even consider adding a series/parallel switch to thin out the HB a tad.

So far i'm thinking SD 59 four conductor neck and SD Broadcaster bridge. Anyone care to weigh in? Appologies if this has been asked elsewhere.

Cheers.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
- apologies never necessary here...I have probably asked same question dozen times.lol

- IMHO The broadcaster and nocaster are nice, but, yea, it might fight to keep up with
a humbuckie neck.....you might try a Rio grande or another qtr pounder from another
vendor..they are nice, but thick in mids..

ThreePeace

Tele-Meister
FWIW: I have a 75 with the original wide-range. The bridge is an SD stacked HB with three settings. From what I can tell they are SC, HB and a boosted output. It was installed many years ago and I am still working with it to see if I want to keep it or not.

Gigging with it recently, for the first time in many years, I noticed that the neck was overpowering the bridge in both the SC and HB settings. The other day I sat down with it in a quiet room and an amp and achieved a very nice balance between them by adjusting the neck pu down until they blended well.

Unless there is a huge disparity between the two pickups, I would think you could find a nice blend between any combination, with height adjustments.

gitfiddle-albums-75-tele-custom-picture51380-100-2188-600-x-400.jpg

88FingersLouie

TDPRI Member
Thanks for the replies folks - some good info in there. This will be a new build so I really have all options open to me. Maybe too many...

Cheers.

jeb stuart

Tele-Holic
man it took me forever but i got a mim ri and i put a SD pearly gate in the neck which i find to be very dynamic mean and pretty. and for a matching single coil i have a fred stuart lap wrap which has no problem keeping up. the LW cost a bit but is a crazy good single coil. maybe tonight ill put some video up. but very, very nice combo.

lanesuzza

TDPRI Member
I really love my SD Stag-Mag in the neck. Wire it with push/pull for great single coil sounds too. In the bridge. I like the Dimario Area Hot T. It is less twangy that the regular Area T but is still articulate and sounds god clean and dirty.....

88FingersLouie

TDPRI Member
man it took me forever but i got a mim ri and i put a SD pearly gate in the neck which i find to be very dynamic mean and pretty. and for a matching single coil i have a fred stuart lap wrap which has no problem keeping up. the LW cost a bit but is a crazy good single coil. maybe tonight ill put some video up. but very, very nice combo.

Thanks Jeb - if you've got the video, I've got the time to check 'er out :D

88FingersLouie

TDPRI Member
I really love my SD Stag-Mag in the neck. Wire it with push/pull for great single coil sounds too. In the bridge. I like the Dimario Area Hot T. It is less twangy that the regular Area T but is still articulate and sounds god clean and dirty.....

Interesting - I didn't even know the Stag-Mag existed. Gonna have to look into that. Heard good things about the Area T in past. Sounds like the hot version might suit me better. Gracias!

TeleKato

Friend of Leo's
I have a Lollar Regal WRHB in my '75 Custom (build) and matched it with a Fender CS Texas Special. Both come in at about 10Kohms and balance very well. Mine also has the Gibson wiring which allow me to set volume and tone independently for each pickup. That's ~$300 in pickups m/l ... But it was worth every nickel to me.

Jim622

Friend of Leo's

You might want to check out the Chopper T - a hot pickup, but still
gives the twang.

ralvarezguitar

TDPRI Member
I've been there for sure with my California Fat Tele. This tele has HB on neck just as the custom. Since it has a 5 way switch I have also experimented with single sized hb on the bridge pickup as well. Well I can say my current pickup selection has made me very very happy:

Bridge pickup: SD Vintage Broadcaster Lead STL-1b
Neck Pickup: SD Jazz Model SH-2

Note that I also changed the pot to a 500k this worked wonderful for me.