Pups don't sound right

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by robert91352, Apr 15, 2009.

1. robert91352

robert91352 TDPRI Member

I just put on 2 new "vintage" style fender pickups on an AMS I'm building. They have only about 1/2 the volume of the other pups on my other tele and a mushy background sound, almost like wind coming and going that lasts after the guitar tone is gone. I also added a .47 cap and changed the .01 cap to a .02 cap. Any suggestions? The pickup heights are correct.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. JCollins

JCollins Tele-Holic

Where did you add/replace these caps? A .47uF cap is HUGE. The tone cap should either be a .047uF or .022uF cap. If you are using a treble bypass cap, it should be no larger than .001uF, and even that is pretty large.

3. Amadhunter

Amadhunter Tele-Meister

Try wiring the pu's directly to the jack, make sure you like the sound without any electronics between the pu, and the amp. As Jim C. said, those are way huge cap values. Also, make sure your not grounded out somewhere, and that the leads are not reversed.
    I have a strat with some GFS blue pu's that sounded awful till I put them in another pickguard, now they are real nice. Came to the conclusion that they were not wired correctly in the original.

4. robert91352

robert91352 TDPRI Member

Thanks, It is a .047uf. I think I'll put on the .001 that came with the pups and see if that works out. Thanks for the response.

5. Parma_TeleMon

Parma_TeleMon Friend of Leo's

You could try changing the pup height, too. Sometimes that makes huge difference, but you'll probably notice the tonal change more than the volume change.

6. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Pickup height has a huge affect on output. Double the distance and halve the output. Halve the distance, double the output. Sometimes a little means a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.