1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Punk Rock: how much of it really was truly "Punk rock?"

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Oct 22, 2015.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think so. I don't see what Blondie did, besides cover "Tide Is High", not even a reggae song but rock steady.

The Clash did more than all those groups combined.

Also the Grateful Dead had the song "Estimated Prophet" original reggae song and would cover "Stir It Up", in the 1970s.

But really Bob Marley was pretty popular in the US, it's kind of insulting to say all those other bands made reggae as well known, especially since they are not mainly reggae groups.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

reggae to me is like polka; it's fun to listen to for a song or two, but then it's time to move on to something else

YMMV

3. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Point taken re Lydon, Malcolm McLaren may be to blame. I do agree about Blondie now that I look at it from the perspective of your comment. I was thinking more from Johnny Ramone's comment in the End Of The Century docu when asked about the commercial success of some of their contemporaries.

4. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

I agree they were not reggae groups but they planted the seeds of the scratch guitar and dub bass lines in the minds of the American music consumers.

Reggae has never been popular in the US, 99% of the population couldn't name one single Burning Spear, Dennis Brown or Jacob Miller song. Peter Tosh and Bob Marley were pretty much the only artists that got any mainstream FM radio play in the late 70's and 80's. Most people couldn't tell you who sang "many rivers to cross" or "you can get it if you really want" although they may recognize the song if they hear it.

5. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Check out these guys called Phocus from Appleton if you get a chance. I've seen them a few times, mind blowing stuff. Kind of Stax/Volt mixed with hard Jamaican dub. Highly recommended.

6. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

What's your beef with the term protopunk?

I saw these guys Friday and really dug them. L.o.t.i.o.n. from New York.

7. cyclopean

8. cyclopean

I've also been on a bit of a French Oi! kick. These guys are great.

9. Zender

Zender Tele-Meister

When I first heard ACDC in the 70s before they were big time in the USA I thought they sounded Punk. Generally anything gimmicky(not serious) I referred to as Punk. I still think there is a Punk ambiance in ACDCs music. Angus' costume for example.
    Punk isn't necessarily mean bad or amateur. The Sex Pistols had good music despite all the theatrics. ACDC and Sex Pistols came out at the same time

10. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

now youre just trolling the thread

11. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The same can be said about Kiss, they took the mantra of three chords and the truth by heart, "Don't bore us, get to the chorus." that kind of thing. The main difference being is that they conveyed it in a metal setting. That first and second album of theirs are stellar Rock N Roll albums which don't sound at all weird if you'd play them during a punk show.

Case in point...

This song is just so Chuck Berry.

12. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Don't forget the Shaggs when it comes to punk.

13. cyclopean

G.l.o.s.s. is probably the best new hardcore band I heard in 2015. Here's a video of them playing an elks lodge in Cambridge.

14. cyclopean

The sex pistols is probably in a Venn diagram of their own in being about the most referenced punk band by people who aren't involved or invested in punk, and the least listened to by people who are. They're like a third rate version of the stooges with better marketing.

Also, John Lydon's later band Public Image Limited is way better, at least for the first few albums before they started making bad pop music.

15. Blazer

Really when did that happen?

16. jdgladw

jdgladw Tele-Meister

Some would probably point to This is Not a Love Song, Rise or Body but Disappointed is really their "shinny happy people" moment:

17. Blazer

Strange, since all of those songs have that awesome Lydon acidic sense of humor and that stellar musicianship that PiL is known for.

18. Blazer

As for what must have been the most Punk Rock performance of the recent years, I guess At the Drive in at Jools Holland is a contender here. Omar breaks strings of his main and back up guitars until he finally gives up.

Note also Robbie Williams who's look of "How the HELL am I to follow THAT?" says everything.

19. ChalmersCharles

ChalmersCharles Tele-Meister

Blazer,

Holey scissor work! That was great!

2000 AD was the start of my retreat from current music, so I'm real happy to revisit that period and find such hucked gems.

Cheers,

Chas.

20. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

"Disappointed" is actually one of my favorite PiL tunes ever and 9 is my fave PiL album. I know it's more accessible than, say, The Flowers of Romance, but I love it. I much prefer Lydon's post-punk/avant guarde stuff. And you can count me as one of those (former) punks who got sick of the Pistols pretty fast and rarely listened to them; The Damned were way more interesting to me, because they just threw a bunch of musical influences and styles into a pot and came up with really entertaining stuff (even if it wasn't always strictly "punk" by a lot of peoples' definition.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.