Pulling the plug on rap. ...No really!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Nov 1, 2010.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Old fart high school teacher here...when this discussion comes up I say this about rap.....I don't like 90% of it as it's mostly just a stream thump noise so as music I really can't accept most of it as there is so little melody,key changes etc and many other musical parts missing. but as an ART form I can wholly accept it as a reflection of the angst and current cultural generational shift. It is a very limited musical genre!:rolleyes:

my 2c

Cheers
    ce24

2. TxTeleMan

TxTeleMan Tele-Afflicted

Well, their bass player's not too bad, but those guys will never amount to anything...

3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not much of a rap listener, but I absolutely can't stand that joker on Top Gear.

4. jmaul

jmaul Tele-Afflicted

Threads like this make me sick.

I bet I could introduce everyone here to at least one artist that would make you completely rethink what HipHop is capable of.

Like every genre of music, 90% of it is terrible. If you don't care to find the 10% that isn't, or wont even consider that you are not an expert on the subject and there there is a vast ocean of unknown material that you are commenting upon through blind stereotyping, that is on you.

5. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Your point? :D ;)

6. jimbach

jimbach Tele-Holic

There's really nothing sadder than musicians who are close minded about music.

7. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

I linked it due to some content (a bit of language and a couple drug refs), didn't want any trouble. I think the guy in the video is a bad example of rap so I figured I'd post something good to compare your music to ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvgxgfcP7HU

Please don't take this post too seriously, its mostly a joke (I do think that first guy was really bad though, and I love blaze.)

8. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

It's ok if you don't agree with something or you don't understand it or you think it sounds bad (poorly performed if you will), but to put down a whole genre of music is silly. I'm not a fan of country but I'm not going to put other people down for liking it because I know there is country music I may find interesting (nothing so far). Instead I'm gonna keep looking for it because I love music, no matter the genre, and I know I'll become more open minded by looking for things I like in places I wouldn't expect to find them. Age has nothing to do with taste either.

9. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Here's an "oldie but goodie" song with a metaphor about merging hip-hop with rock n roll, or any different forms of music...or it's just about committing adultery ;)

Good tune tho.

10. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Well, don't keep it all to yourself: who are these musical titans?

11. jmaul

jmaul Tele-Afflicted

Well, not meaning "one artist that everyone would like" but rather, "I could find one artist for each naysayer"...

here is some contenders:

12. ledet

ledet Tele-Holic

+1

I often say that I like all genres of music, and that's not a lie. If you're just a little open minded, you can find nice stuff everywhere, be it hiphop, country, jazz, pop or evil norwegian black metal.

Check out this jazzy hiphop track - I'm sure a lot of you guys will like it!

13. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

We need a yawning smiley... really....we do.

[​IMG]

14. LiamDalmon

LiamDalmon Tele-Holic

I think kids starving to death in Africa is a teeny bit sadder than musicians who are close minded about music.

(also the part in Bambi when his mother dies is pretty sad too!)

just my tuppenceworth.

15. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

The Beastie Boys did a little steel guitar/hiphop mix, sorta:

16. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Once upon a lifetime ago my high school music teacher said music is sound not noise.

(C)Rap does not qualify as music.

17. Pinball_Wizard

Pinball_Wizard Tele-Holic

Fundamentally the biggest difference between your average rock track and rap is how the song is mixed. A rap mix is simple, and more compressed.

Musically between rock and rap the only difference is that "Rapping" is vocals that use more complex divisions of the beat, and has little variation in pitch (normally) making a drone texture. Everything else musically isn't different from Rock, accents on beats two and four.

The from of music is Hip-Hop (Rock system, except have percussion set higher in the mix, slower tempo) The difference between Hip-Hop and Rap? One has a Rapper.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.