Pulling out my speakers on my Tone Master Twin Reverb.

fasteddie455

Tele-Meister
I am planning on getting a new cabinet for my Tonemaster Twin Reverb. When the time comes to transfer the speakers to the new cabinet, is it meekly just removing a couple of nuts and then pulling the speaker off of the studs? I thought I heard that they also have some kinda glue sealing up the speaker to the cabinet. Any truth to that? I have never removed speakers from an amp… anything else I should know? It seems pretty simple and straightforward… but I thought I’d ask and be sure.
Thanks
Fasteddie455

randym

Tele-Meister
They may stick a little, but I don't think they're glued (not normally). I'm curious about the new cabinet though.

dan40

Friend of Leo's
Speakers will occasionally stick to the baffle board because they were installed at the factory while the paint was still wet. If yours seem to be stuck, gently work a thin putty knife all the way around to loosen the bond. Just don't push the knife in more than a 1/2" or so as you risk damaging the speaker surround.

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
I am planning on getting a new cabinet for my Tonemaster Twin Reverb. When the time comes to transfer the speakers to the new cabinet, is it meekly just removing a couple of nuts and then pulling the speaker off of the studs? I thought I heard that they also have some kinda glue sealing up the speaker to the cabinet. Any truth to that? I have never removed speakers from an amp… anything else I should know? It seems pretty simple and straightforward… but I thought I’d ask and be sure.
Thanks
Fasteddie455

Just curious, why are you changing the cabinet?

fasteddie455

Tele-Meister
They may stick a little, but I don't think they're glued (not normally). I'm curious about the new cabinet though.
I want a tweed cabinet… instead of pulling the tolex off this one and tweed-ing the fqctory cabinet, I am gonna use an aftermarket cabinet… that way if something goes wrong , I still have the factory one.

nedorama

Tele-Holic
Have you checked that the tweed cabinet your getting fits your Tonemaster circuitry and speakers? Most repro cabs are built for the tube versions. Double check so you don't get a cabinet you can't use.

drri

Tele-Meister
Thanks
Fasteddie455
My DR speaker did have some sort of glue that ripped some paper when I pulled it out. Just be careful and take your time.

fasteddie455

Tele-Meister
Have you checked that the tweed cabinet your getting fits your Tonemaster circuitry and speakers? Most repro cabs are built for the tube versions. Double check so you don't get a cabinet you can't use.
I have talked to Mojotone explaining what it is that I want to do. They had me take out the chassis and measure it. They act like they can do it. What else could be done to ensure the new cabinet will work?

fasteddie455

Tele-Meister
I would wait for a few months as Fender will likely introduce a tweed one right after you order that new cab.
While this may be true, I already have the amp and a new cab is cheaper than a new amp.. and there is no guarantee that a new tweed Tonemaster would be voiced like the amp that I have now.. the blonde deluxe is different from the blackface version. I feel like if they make a tweed one, it would lean toward a tweed sound. I am wanting a blackface sound with a tweed look.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
While this may be true, I already have the amp and a new cab is cheaper than a new amp.. and there is no guarantee that a new tweed Tonemaster would be voiced like the amp that I have now.. the blonde deluxe is different from the blackface version. I feel like if they make a tweed one, it would lean toward a tweed sound. I am wanting a blackface sound with a tweed look.
It was mostly sarcasm, I see your point in just wanting to change the cosmetics.

I am a couple of months into my Deluxe TM and so far so good. I am playing through the normal channel though as the sustain on the reverb doesn't sound right to me (too long). The speaker doesn't sound bad to me at this point either.

Cosmetics? I am good with the black tolex as I have a few tweeds and it is starting to become too trendy for my taste. Now a brown western tolex with wheat grille would be nice, but I am not ready to spend the money for that.

Pcs264

Tele-Meister
I changed the speakers in my TMTR - they are not glued, and the swap is super easy. I thought my TMTR was really good, not great: just a bit brittle in the high end and a bit weak in the lows. I've never been a big fan of Jensens, especially the new ones. I put in a pair of Eminence Legend 1258s and they let the TMTR be everything it can be: clear, singing trebled and rich, full lows.

Fender of course, builds to a price point, and for the TMs I believe, to a weight point, and I have no problem with that. In changing the Jensen Neos for the Emis, I added 8 lbs of weight (4 lbs heavier per speaker!). But I now have a TR that's still about half the weight of a tube one, and now it really sounds like it should.

Ignatius

Friend of Leo's
I am a couple of months into my Deluxe TM and so far so good. I am playing through the normal channel though as the sustain on the reverb doesn't sound right to me (too long). The speaker doesn't sound bad to me at this point either.

There's a firmware upgrade available that tames the reverb.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
There's a firmware upgrade available that tames the reverb.
People have told me that, I haven't gone there yet, but from what I read it just tames the speed so the dial changes aren't drastic. Nothing about shortening the sustain. I may be wrong of course.

It is odd since they patterned it off their reissue valve deluxe and the A/B videos seem to sound almost identical, yet it sounds artificial to me due to the length of the effect. It just seems to fall over itself in the mix.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I changed the speakers in my TMTR - they are not glued, and the swap is super easy. I thought my TMTR was really good, not great: just a bit brittle in the high end and a bit weak in the lows. I've never been a big fan of Jensens, especially the new ones. I put in a pair of Eminence Legend 1258s and they let the TMTR be everything it can be: clear, singing trebled and rich, full lows.

Fender of course, builds to a price point, and for the TMs I believe, to a weight point, and I have no problem with that. In changing the Jensen Neos for the Emis, I added 8 lbs of weight (4 lbs heavier per speaker!). But I now have a TR that's still about half the weight of a tube one, and now it really sounds like it should.
I am with you on not liking the modern Jensens, they have been my least favorite speaker line to date. I guess this is why I really wish my TM Deluxe had a jack for an extension cab so I could test out a few speakers the easy way.

The legend is a good speaker, I have that one in a couple of combo amps as well and would like to hear the difference in my Deluxe, but I am still not certain that the TM Deluxe is a keeper yet and don't want to make it tough to unload. It is good, I like what it can do, but when I sit down to play at home, the SF Twin sitting next to it calls my name first everytime.

Ignatius

Friend of Leo's
People have told me that, I haven't gone there yet, but from what I read it just tames the speed so the dial changes aren't drastic. Nothing about shortening the sustain. I may be wrong of course.

It is odd since they patterned it off their reissue valve deluxe and the A/B videos seem to sound almost identical, yet it sounds artificial to me due to the length of the effect. It just seems to fall over itself in the mix.
To paraphrase Elvis Costello - "Reading about how something sounds is like dancing about architecture." ;)

When I owned a TM the firmware upgrade made a big difference in the reverb. The upgrade took about as much time as it has taken you to post and read about it in this thread :cool:. Completely reversible if you don't like the change.

fasteddie455

Tele-Meister
I am a couple of months into my Deluxe TM and so far so good. I am playing through the normal channel though as the sustain on the reverb doesn't sound right to me (too long).
Well heck.. someone beat me to telling ya about the reverb update. Which version Deluxe did you get? The blonde one apparently has different speakers and has a clipped bright cap ( or something to that effect)… now you can go in and get the firmware update for the clipped bright cap if you don’t already have it… maybe that will move it up in category to great for ya!

fasteddie455

Tele-Meister
Well I ordered a Mojotone cabinet two days ago. They said if for some reason my chassis don’t fit or won’t work that they would take it back and refund my money as long as I have not drilled the holes to mount the chassis. It could take 8-10 weeks… sigh… in the mean time I want to decide on a brown faceplate with cream witch hat knobs or a chrome/polished faceplate with chicken head knobs… right now I am thinking the latter…

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Well heck.. someone beat me to telling ya about the reverb update. Which version Deluxe did you get? The blonde one apparently has different speakers and has a clipped bright cap ( or something to that effect)… now you can go in and get the firmware update for the clipped bright cap if you don’t already have it… maybe that will move it up in category to great for ya!
It is the black tolex version...I suppose I should try the firmware upgrade and see if it changes things.