Pulled the trigger on an American Original 50's Tele neck...

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Holic
I've been wanting to change the neck on my Partscaster since getting a Strat with 6105, narrow tall/vintage tall frets. My Tele Partscaster has a Classic 50's neck with vintage frets, and I just prefer the taller frets these days.

Was torn between getting a Road Worn neck, then saw a Fender Roasted Maple neck, but really wanted the AO 50's neck for the big U-profile and the frets. It's a stupid expensive neck, but ended up getting $250 off with credits/rewards points I had and a 15% discount. I'll be able to get a decent amount for the Classic 50's neck that's currently on the guitar that has been PLEK'd, some flame, no noticeable fret wear (have had 8's on it for a while), has a bone nut and Fender vintage-style tuners. So all in all not too bad in the end, and I'll have one of the nicest Tele necks out there on a killer 3TSB double bound body with Fender OV's in it, my favorite Tele pickups. Yes, it's a bit of a goofy combo, but I love the 60's style 3TSB double-bound bodies and 50's-style maple necks! Fender did do what they called a "telecaster Custom" in 1966 that was a 3TSB double bound body with a maple cap neck. Only difference with mine cosmetically is it will have a 50's logo placement on the headstock and a 50's style string tree.

I actually considered buying a new guitar, but for what these AO's go for new, and the insane prices people are asking for guitars in the current used market, it made it easier to justify shelling out for the AO 50's neck.

Last edited:

monkeywalker

TDPRI Member
This combo sounds great, I hunted down an MIJ 60s hybrid tele last week to steal the neck off it for similar reasons and I'm thrilled with the results.
Show us when you get chance!

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
I admire your passion for necks.

😗

untitled-1.jpg

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Sounds great to me if you like it. That's much of the fun of playing a Fender - mix and match the neck and body until they work for you!

RoyMontero62

TDPRI Member
I've been wanting to change the neck on my Partscaster since getting a Strat with 6105, narrow tall/vintage tall frets. My Tele Partscaster has a Classic 50's neck with vintage frets, and I just prefer the taller frets these days.

Was torn between getting a Road Worn neck, then saw a Fender Roasted Maple neck, but really wanted the AO 50's neck for the big U-profile and the frets. It's a stupid expensive neck, but ended up getting $250 off with credits/rewards points I had and a 15% discount. I'll be able to get a decent amount for the Classic 50's neck that's currently on the guitar that has been PLEK'd, some flame, no noticeable fret wear (have had 8's on it for a while), has a bone nut and Fender vintage-style tuners. So all in all not too bad in the end, and I'll have one of the nicest Tele necks out there on a killer 3TSB double bound body with Fender OV's in it, my favorite Tele pickups. Yes, it's a bit of a goofy combo, but I love the 60's style 3TSB double-bound bodies and 50's-style maple necks! Fender did do what they called a "telecaster Custom" in 1966 that was a 3TSB double bound body with a maple cap neck. Only difference with mine cosmetically is it will have a 50's logo placement on the headstock and a 50's style string tree.

I actually considered buying a new guitar, but for what these AO's go for new, and the insane prices people are asking for guitars in the current used market, it made it easier to justify shelling out for the AO 50's neck.
The AO50s neck is CHUNKY but comfortable to me…good shoulders. 0.95” depth at 1st and 1.00” depth at 12th

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I admire your passion for necks.

😗

untitled-1.jpg
"Love at First Bite," I believe? With Nick Cage as a guy who's delusional that he's a vampire. Love love LOVE the scene where he's crawling through the park with the cheap hollow plastic Halloween fangs in chasing after the pigeon. One of my favorite moments in film - like the scene in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" where George Clooney has the long fake beard and does the dance on stage to "Man of Constant Sorrows." I smile just thinking about it ...🧛‍♂️

Clifton C

Tele-Afflicted
"Love at First Bite," I believe? With Nick Cage as a guy who's delusional that he's a vampire. Love love LOVE the scene where he's crawling through the park with the cheap hollow plastic Halloween fangs in chasing after the pigeon. One of my favorite moments in film - like the scene in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" where George Clooney has the long fake beard and does the dance on stage to "Man of Constant Sorrows." I smile just thinking about it ...🧛‍♂️
That sure looks like Christopher Lee. And I don’t remember Clooney wearing a fake beard, but it could be!

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, Clifton C, that was Christopher Lee, from 1958's classic, Horror Of Dracula.
Or maybe from one of that movie's sequels.
He played Dracula more than once.

You might know Christopher Lee from his later work as Mycroft Holmes, in Billy Wilder's 1970 film, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes.
Christopher%2BLee%2Bas%2BMycroft%2BHolmes.jpg

Or as Saruman in the Lord Of The Rings trilogy.
Christopher Lee was the only cast member of the movie trilogy who actually met the author, JRR Tolkien.

MV5BN2Y2ZGViYTgtZDg0NS00YmFhLWE1NTUtNGUxMzM5NmRjOTE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQ3Nzk5MTU@._V1_.jpg

Clifton C

Tele-Afflicted
Yes, Clifton C, that was Christopher Lee, from 1958's classic, Horror Of Dracula.
Or maybe from one of that movie's sequels.
He played Dracula more than once.

You might know Christopher Lee from his later work as Mycroft Holmes, in Billy Wilder's 1970 film, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes.
Christopher%2BLee%2Bas%2BMycroft%2BHolmes.jpg

Or as Saruman in the Lord Of The Rings trilogy.
Christopher Lee was the only cast member of the movie trilogy who actually met the author, JRR Tolkien.

MV5BN2Y2ZGViYTgtZDg0NS00YmFhLWE1NTUtNGUxMzM5NmRjOTE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQ3Nzk5MTU@._V1_.jpg
He was also in a fabulous version of Treasure Island (very brief part, though), with Charlton Heston as Long John Silver. (Great cast, including Christian Bale as Jim Hawkins.) And don’t forget his run as Count Dooku in the Star Wars prequels.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I can absolutely relate to paying for the neck you know is right for you. I ended up buying a Fender Rarities neck for my 70's Tele Custom build. Does it have the 70's logo or bullet truss rod? No. But it has the AO60's profile, 9.5" radius, and vintage tall frets. Basically a maple AO60's. It was pricey, but honestly once I went to either Warmoth or Musikraft and entered all my specs it was getting pretty darn close. Figured just go for the Fender and holy crap it's an amazing neck.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
The neck is one of the most important components of any guitar. I would rather pay more for one that feels good to you personally, than a mediocre one just to save a few bucks. It's all worth it in the long run if the guitar ends up a keeper.