PUBLIC ART. I LOVE IT!

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
You have more info on this piece ?

1642941303696-png.943192
https://collabcubed.com/2012/03/19/rob-mulholland-vestige-installation/

https://robmulholland.org/public-art-projects/vestige-mirrored-figure-sculptures-scotland/

It's on the route of my weekly walk at David Marshall Lodge in the Trossachs Scotland.
The artist is Rob Mulholland (lives next door to me), the website will give you links to a whole lot of his other work.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
I actually love to see the tags on train cars! Most of the time its tastefully done and non-offensive, which I really appreciate about the artists. Certainly beats the drab colors that they're normally painted. A lot of it is actually comical, and it sure helps pass the time when stopped at a train stop, waiting for the train to pass! There are some really talented graffitti artists out there. ;)

Check out Style Wars - great doc of NYC graffiti and hiphop scene.

DrBGood

Tele-Afflicted
https://collabcubed.com/2012/03/19/rob-mulholland-vestige-installation/

https://robmulholland.org/public-art-projects/vestige-mirrored-figure-sculptures-scotland/

It's on the route of my weekly walk at David Marshall Lodge in the Trossachs Scotland.
The artist is Rob Mulholland (lives next door to me), the website will give you links to a whole lot of his other work.
Thanks. I was wondering what they were made of, looked like glass.
Stainless steel ...

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
It is inspired by sleepers, but I'd think this would be made in a more permanent media, like metal or concrete.

Edit: they really are sculpted into the wood.

In a similar fashion to his piece 'Iron Road' in the Forest of Dean, this is a section of railway track with various items carved into the sleepers. Smith provided an evocative description of the sculpture:
Yes, carved out of jarrah wood sleepers (ties). It's a pretty hard wood and very long lasting.

Here's a very young Keir at work.
1985_Keir_Smith_Garden_Residency.jpg

Last edited:

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
A couple of favourites from the Tremenheere sculpture collection near Penzance in Cornwall.

Penny Saunders' Restless Temple

And James Turrell's Sky Space: a large very plain white semi-subterranean room with an oval aperture open to the sky in the roof. Perfect cloud watching space

images.jpeg.jpg

And Anthony Gormley's Another Place on Crosby Beach near Liverpool

My favourite place for kite flying

20190903_113021.jpg

Last edited:

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't like having "art" inflicted on me, as in the case of graffiti. Sort of like the kid in the beat-up ancient Hyundai rattling everybody else's windows with his low-frequency "art."

PS: Get off my lawn, you kids!

I feel this way about most of the architecture people are building lately in my town, and about the horrible auto designs the public litters the roads with. Even if I didn't like graffitti (I do), it wouldn't inflict anywhere near as much on me as the generic trash building that was just erected over my backyard, replacing my skyline with walls and windows.

I don't think the artless people have any more right to inflict bare drab walls on me, than artists have to paint them.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
I actually love to see the tags on train cars! Most of the time its tastefully done and non-offensive, which I really appreciate about the artists. Certainly beats the drab colors that they're normally painted. A lot of it is actually comical, and it sure helps pass the time when stopped at a train stop, waiting for the train to pass! There are some really talented graffitti artists out there. ;)

View attachment 943197
There is a new documentary on Showtime or something about rail graffiti and the guys that write it. I really enjoyed it.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire

View attachment 943197

There is a new documentary on Showtime or something about rail graffiti and the guys that write it. I really enjoyed it.

I love watching rail cars. Big rectangular canvases traveling the continent picking up and showing work. What better thing could there be to paint?