Pub challenge - me and my big mouth

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PeterUK, Jul 13, 2019.

1. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

So I was bragging in the pub that I probably had enough parts to build a Tele, so the guys called me out and asked me to prove it.

So I’ve done a dry run of said parts today and this is what I’ve got:

- A CNC second alder body I bought on a whim (to be fair, for not a lot of money). I’ve drilled the jack cup hole and channel/wiring holes today.
    - An early Korean Squier Telecaster neck which I’ve fitted with Wilkinson vintage style tuners
    - A set of Tonerider Vintage Plus pick ups
    - A traditional Fender vintage bridge with Rutters steel ‘compensated’ Broadcaster saddles
    - A 5-way wiring loom which I bought on a whim from an eBay seller from the Ukraine. The total cost including shipping was not a lot more than I could buy the components individually and it’s very well done.
    - Miscellaneous; heavily knurled knobs, chrome switch tip, string ferrules, locking strap buttons, neck plate and neck screws, electrosocket and jack.
    - I’ve got a variety of pickguards but I’ve added the band logo pickguard for effect.

The body needs sanding and finishing but I was right. Enough parts to build a whole guitar.

I’m thinking a candy apple red nitro finish and it’ll make a nice guitar.

:) Peter

PS. The Thinline is a baritone tuned B-B.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Nice!They owe you a pint!

PeterUK likes this.
  3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

A guitar in-hand is much better than parts in boxes. :) :D Win-win here and a fine result!

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

To be honest Jim, I’ve surprised myself. I’ve had the alder body a while and knew it needed some fettling but it’s under 2kgs/4.4lbs and feels ‘just right’.

The neck was bought off eBay and I didn’t pay too much for that either. All the other parts have been amassed over time apart from the pre-wired pots and switch which came assembled from a seller in the Ukraine. Parts alone would have cost me similar but this came pre-soldered with quality pots, caps and switch.

I’m going to start work on sanding the body tomorrow and try and get a base coat on next week - if I can decide on the colour.

It’s been fun so car and I’m keen to hear how it sounds.

:) Peter

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I love it when you find enough parts lying around to build another Tele! Score!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.