PTP 5f1 Boothill Build in Old Radio

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Deereman82, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Deereman82

Deereman82 TDPRI Member

This is my second build, my first build was a 5e3 also from Dave at Boothill Amps. I decided to do it point to point just as a challenge and I already had an old radio laying around with a chassis and cabinet. Dave was kind enough to provide just the internal parts from his kits, he is always so easy to deal with! I used Classic Tone transformers and a Jensen 6 inch speaker. I threw it all together in just a few hours, not much planning on placement of parts, but I kept the grounds separate to try to reduce unwanted noise. I was not expecting this thing to be so quiet. You can see in the pictures it's a real rats nest in there and I wouldn't trust it at all for taking it on the road. But for just sitting on my desk for occasional knoodleing it's gonna work great. Heres some pics....

2. KCStratMan

KCStratMan Tele-Afflicted

Nice work! I like the patina and old fixtures of the relic chassis, very cool. I built a 5F2A package from BootHill into a 1940's portable radio last year - recycle and reuse!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

Cool! This must be the time of year to make amps out of old radios. I have my build going on now as well and talked to my neighbor today who is in CA for the winter and living above an antique dealer about being on the lookout for a table top.

4. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That's a very cool build Deereman. I think you can stuff the next size up speaker in that cab though ;) Seriously, throw an inexpensive Weber Signature Series Alnico in there and blow people away with the authentic tweed tone from that radio.

KC:
    [​IMG]

Sano.

5. Deereman82

Deereman82 TDPRI Member

The Jensen I have in there is giving me some sweet tones now. It's breaking up very nicely when I push it hard. It's bigger than the original already! lol Any bigger and it would cover up the old tuner plate. I need to find a light bulb yet to light it up, or mount the jewel light from the kit in there some how. Do you think a Weber speaker will sound better? This one was pretty cheap for what it is, but a more vintage ton would be cool, if possible.

6. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Cool. I like the cord anchor. A knot LOL.

I'd try a Weber vintage series 8" in there would be a great thing. 8A100 or similar. Can a piece of the the tuner plate be cut and glued in place? Then the speaker would cover it on the back side, but it'd still look cool from the front.

7. KCStratMan

KCStratMan Tele-Afflicted

I agree all, great looking build Deereman, nice work fitting that baffle into the front, and yeah if there was any satisfactory way to mount an 8" vintage alnico it would be even better, the ceramic 6" driver definitely limiting potential tone quality. But if it would mess with the cabinet or faceplate sometimes you have to compromise. I'd go full boat and replace that 6 with a much more vintage looking alnico one and make a matching extension cab with a 10" vintage Jensen or Weber repro to go underneath. Is your OT 4ohm only or multi impedence? Unfortunately, I'd be afraid that mounting an 8 in the nice old radio cab and cranking it up would shake the thing apart. Using it basically as a head and running a 10" speaker cab would preserve the radio and give far better sound than a 6 or 8 in a small open cab. Plus a simple ext. cab that size and a 10" speaker is relatively inexpensive for the improvement in sound output. Just my $.02

8. Deereman82

Deereman82 TDPRI Member

I may order that 6 inch alnico from Weber, just to give it a try at least. I put this together just to use as a practice/knoodling amp for my basement. Obviously a 8 or 10 inch would sound better. But when needed I have the 5e3 I built last year to really relish in perfect tone. (though ear piercing in my wood floor basement) :lol: The output transformer had a 4,8,16 ohm output. I'll have to change it up to use the Weber, I used the 8 ohm tap to hook up to this speaker. There is more than enough room for a output switch if I wanted to go that route also. Thanks for the advice.

9. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Keep in mind if you have a multi tap OT, you can wire it up to a small switch and mount the switch to rear chassis. You could easily switch between 4 or 8 ohms on the fly if needed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.