PT wiring help

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by SacDAve, Dec 26, 2014.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I received my Mercury PT today. Not sure on the wiring on the PT input side. On the Classic tone it just has two Black wires on the input 120V. On the MM 6 wires 0V-100V- 120V -220V-230V-240V. I assume the 220-230-240 Are not used cut/capped? So I’m guessing the white 120 would be used to matched house current? So that leaves the Blk/Wht 100V and the Black 0-V. So how would I wire it.? Basically what wires would equal the two Black wires on the Classic tone? Looking at the 5E3 layout and the ones I’ve built the 120V supply the hot goes to the fuse/switch/ transformer black wire the neutral goes right to transformer black wire. (CT). So my guess would be 120V supply the hot goes to the F/S/T 120 white the neutral to the 0-V black. I still have the B/W 100V left. So any would be appreciated. The output side is the same as CT so I understand that. The OP trans. I also understand.

Attached Files:

2. Dennis Perusse

Dennis Perusse Tele-Meister

Hello,

I'm gonna take a stab at this and say just the black wire and the white wire with the others capped off according to how it reads. To me how you want to wire it seems correct. The Brown, Blue, and Violet wires look like they'd be used for European voltages so cap them off too. The black/white wire just cap off like the other wires and don't worry about it. I hope that that helps. :)

3. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I agree with Dennis, the Black and the White wires should be used for 120v wall power.

4. SacDAve

That's how I read it also , but what's the black/white 100V wire for ? Then it's in bold print on the drawing . I've spent hours searching on line , Mercury's web sight is one of the worst for usable information . I'll give them a call Monday.

5. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

In case you get "big in Japan"

Just curious, why did you choose that model PT?

Attached Files:

6. SacDAve

Thanks Andy So the B/W wire would cut & cap but leave enough in case move to Japan ?
    I went with the Fat Stack because all the reviews are positive for the most part MM gets great reviews except price. I have a fund for my project's So it's not about the cost. What I want is to make my own decision on the MM transformers. When this amp is done I will have two 5E3's about 95% identical ( cabinet / speaker / tubes / filter caps / coupling caps) so I should get a good comparison. Also I have no problem saying it's not worth the extra $$$.

7. andyfromdenver

I like MM.
    I have a fatstack low B+ transformer waiting for a deluxe reverb build. Just wondering about the export version.

8. SacDAve

Export Version I'm going to have to call and ask about that. I would rather have a non export.

Now l'll ask a question on the 0-V black and the 120-V white. My logic is telling me the supply hot should go to the 120-V and the Supply neutral to the 0-V. I would be going threw the pilot light and O/F switch for hot. But then on the classic tone you have two blacks on the primary side so you can wire it hot and neutral either way. So dose it really matter ?

9. andyfromdenver

No it won't matter.
    I guess it would look nicer to run black to black and white to white.
    It's probably good that you have an export. Your cabs are so super nice, who knows where they'll end up :).

For ultimate peace of mind, you could power it up and check AC voltages on the secondary.

There is a many thread page discussion and debacle on the mic transformer for my u87 mic clone. The most popular transformer option is 100% mislabeled on the manufacturing page and people were getting no/low signal until everyone realized and started checking the windings.
    Mine is one of the mislabeled, so these things do happen.

10. SacDAve

Thanks Andy, I think I will power it up and check the AC voltages on the secondary. Would I connect 110V to the primary side then take voltage readings off the secondary taps? Would the transformer frame act as a ground?
    Anyway I have a good understanding of the transformer now, Read a lot of good articles. What threw me off was the 100V never realized 100V would be a voltage supply.

11. andyfromdenver

it's ac. there's no ground to consider.
    but, seriously, I say just install it, i'm sure it's fine. me attached to a recommendation to check stepped up ac voltages with a gagillion dangling wires makes me real nervous.
    plus i'm guessing you mean 120vac, unless your house puts out 110 which would surprise me. I'd just e-tape and heat shrink over all the unused leads, wrap 'em good, and shove 'em in a corner by where the power cord comes in.

12. swaptronics

swaptronics TDPRI Member

PT wiring info

The Mercury PT has taps on its primary to allow for 100V, 120V, 230V, 240V, etc. input voltages for varying outlets (e.g. USA, United Kingdom, etc.)

I've used Classic Tone transformers in a number of builds--I don't think they can be beat at twice the price.

If it were me, I would return the MM PT and order a Classic Tone PT and OT and still have money to spare.

They are correct in saying to use the black and white primary wire for standard 120V AC wall voltage--cap off the other wires with tape if you don't use them. Wall voltages in the US haven't been 100V for nearly a century--in fact they are often 126V AC.

Best regards,

Dave Adams (a.k.a. "swaptronics")

13. SacDAve

I have classic tones in both my 5E3's So far the best I've used but that's all I've used So I want to try the MM. Once again it's not a matter of money.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.