PT Barnum theory and sellers today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Alaman, May 13, 2017.

1. Alaman

Alaman Tele-Meister

Just a quick rant...Not picking on Reverb site because I've had overall good experiences there but while browsing the new listings this morning it just gets more and more aggravating at the folks posting junk out there for ridiculous prices. Does this stuff really sell? The kicker this morning was to see a Fender strat nylon logo guitar strap (you know the one, it's been case candy for years) listed as "vintage" 70's for $78. Did a quick search and found another for nearly $200! These may in fact be from 70's but it's still the same design and same old strap that comes "free" with purchase of a strat. You still see some folks practically trying to give these things away on ebay and Reverb just to get a few bucks off something they aren't going to use. There are loads of old off brand guitars that would typically sit in a pawn shop for months gathering dust that nobody wants listed as "Rare", "Vintage" or "hard to find" and with a ridiculous price on them. Not to say they might not be good guitars but they have little demand. The business model is just not there for the prices they are putting out there. I could list examples but there are so many...just browse the new listings from today. If these things are selling then I guess PT Barnum was right.

2. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

I hear ya. I know people are just 'marketing' their stuff but........ c'mon, It's just old and smells moldy. I got a basement full of that and I don't need yours added to it.

3. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's more that people are desperate.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't think we're allowed to discuss P.T. Barnum on this forum.

Maybe next year.

Henry likes this.
  5. Alaman

Alaman Tele-Meister

I hope that's a joke....but anyway I guess I'm guilty of attributing a quote to PT that he did not actually say now that I look it up. I did mean the one about "a sucker is born every minute". If folks are actually buying this overpriced stuff listed as vintage then that quote might apply. Still can't believe that someone can put up a faded nylon guitar strap that are in abundance and get $200 bucks for it because it was from the 70's. I'm definitely not saying these sellers are dishonest. For the most part, the items seems to be well represented although I can't prove it's vintage or rare or hard to find but the prices they want for this stuff is way overinflated. $550 for a fender Japan strat will electronics issues, missing parts and warped neck...really?

6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Some of those sellers have no idea what market value means. I have a friend trying to sell a bolt-on neck Epiphone Les Paul variant right now for $300. He only paid $199 new, but he thinks because it says "Les Paul" on the headstock that it automatically appreciates in value. He only ever learned a few chords, got board, needs money, and listed it on Craigslist as a Gibson Les Paul for $300. At least he posted a lot of pictures of it.

He asked me why it wasn't selling, and I showed him completed auctions on eBay for $75. He sad his was in better shape??

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

There's a guy who studied Barnum named Joe Vitalie (I think). He used his findings for a tape series called something like "Outrageous Marketing" that used Barnums actual techniques to teach ideas for marketing. I found it fun and useful. Barnum was not a scam artist or a cheater. He was quite the hype-man, though, but he delivered the goods.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If the price exceeds the value for you - don't buy it. No reason for outrage.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  9. Ben Bishop

Ben Bishop Tele-Meister

If there was even a very modest charge for a three month listing then you'd only see products that had a chance of selling.I believe in the Garage Sale Rule - once it goes out it's never allowed back in the house. If something small didn't sell after three months then maybe it should be gifted to a local charity store. And yes, I would pay a few bucks to list an Eko Ranger XII so it wouldn't be surrounded by dreamers.

10. Alaman

Alaman Tele-Meister

Hmmm...no rage here just observation of the ridiculous. But thanks for your helpful advice.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Caveat emptor, man!

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  12. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

This type of hype gets to me to, must be my age. Slightly different take "suckers" but lots of car ads over here never mention the cars performance, but simply states ' you will look cool and the car connects to your phone'. Is this how the market research guys view us, or more specifically the young. Very sad indeed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.