PSA: Really impressed with a new online jazz guitar course I found

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by drmordo, Jun 13, 2021.

1. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I have a ton of jazz books, and I understand theory, but I've never had the energy to build up a vocabulary of licks.

Jazzguitar.be has just released a new course and I am enjoying it like no jazz book I have used in the past.

https://www.jazzguitar.be/courses/product/jazz-guitar-patterns-volume-1/

The course is structured where the author gives you one or two choruses of a composed solo for a classic jazz song, and every bar is a numbered "pattern". The patterns are often reused a few times in the song, sometimes in the context of a different chord to help your fingers and ears learn it. For each song, the course includes a vid of the author playing the solo and an accompaniment track for your practice.

Then each pattern gets an analysis page where they give you the pattern in different positions on the fretboard and discuss how it can be applied. The course includes 8 solos, which cover 87 patterns.

I've really just started working thru it, but I have learned a bunch of good licks just from the first two solos. IMO it's a bit pricey at $39.99, so far for me it has been well worth it.

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

The Jazz Guitar Forum has a wealth of great info and lessons. I will check this out. Thanks!

PhredE, Engine Swap and drmordo like this.
  3. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

Thanks for letting us know. The price sounds reasonable to me and is about the price of a pro lesson.

Good luck with it.

drmordo likes this.
  4. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Good place to hang as well.

5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Jamie Holroyd.
    He has a private practice where he teaches via online students. He at times can be difficult to understand at times do to his heavy, Irish, Scottish accent. All that not with standing he is a great teacher. Speak to him face to face I’m sure you’ll be impressed.

drmordo likes this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

I also really like Jens Larsen. “Learn jazz. Make music.”

7. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

I watched him play live in his quartet and it was phenomenal. He had a smile almost the whole time. Complete freedom comping and soloing. So cool.

Sorry. The vid is on youtube if you type in jens larsen live. Kinda made it sound like I saw him in person. Oops.

8. Linderflomann

Linderflomann TDPRI Member

I think he's the gold standard for guitar education on YouTube. No BS, clear diagrams, clear actionable advice, and adds some memes to keep it entertaining and relatable. Can't say enough good things about the guy.

Cornelius TX, matrix, PhredE and 2 others like this.
  9. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

This looks good and actually the price is not bad for what it says we get. I may give this a whirl. Thanks for posting.

PhredE and drmordo like this.
  10. El Tele Lobo

Agreed. His content is saturated with useful information… And he is continually adding memes, overlays, creative zoom effects and more to keep it fun and entertaining. He’s not afraid to make the occasional joke at his own expense, either. Jens definitely sets a high bar for jazz guitar instructional videos in every respect.

11. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

+1. Same here.
    Just haven't got around to it yet, but am very interested. Just the thing I was looking for and at the right time too.

jays0n and drmordo like this.
  12. gill

gill TDPRI Member

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great method for retaining lines and building vocabulary in a practical manner. I will probably spring for this course.

drmordo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.