PSA: desoldering iron

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought this offline from a shop cheaper than online, but it seems pretty common and it's all over the net. Works great and it's really easy to desolder, much easier than with two tools. Sometimes it takes more than one try, but it's still easy.
desolder.png

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I bought this offline from a shop cheaper than online, but it seems pretty common and it's all over the net. Works great and it's really easy to desolder, much easier than with two tools. Sometimes it takes more than one try, but it's still easy.
View attachment 919297

Cool! I think I know what to ask for Christmas :D
I could have used one of those last weekend after I goofed up the wiring on my mini Klone, 11 wires and 12 pot connections. Thankfully I sprung for the good solder wick when I ran out this past year, otherwise the project would have been a write off.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Thankfully I sprung for the good solder wick when I ran out this past year, otherwise the project would have been a write off.
And do you have a link to the good solder wick?

People try to tell me they are all the same, but they are not. The stuff I buy at radio shack won't wick a damn thing. But the braid I get in the Monte Allums mod kits always works great. What's the difference? And where can I get the good stuff?

Rufus

Friend of Leo's

People try to tell me they are all the same, but they are not. The stuff I buy at radio shack won't wick a damn thing. But the braid I get in the Monte Allums mod kits always works great. What's the difference? And where can I get the good stuff?

Radio Shack????

I'm guessing its been a while since you purchased braid....

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Those desoldering guns always seem great at first, but then after a while they don't suck as good and then I go back to copper braid.
I have a S-993 cost about 100.00 CDN comes with a cleaning rod , the suction is consistent and you can get different tips , new heaters and the dismantle is easy . this comes with a heavier duty stand than a Haku unit and at 1/3 of the price

5ef3938d999870f6783be2ff-large.jpg

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted

I've been using Chem-Wik brand since I worked in an electronics shop in the 80's, Amazon has it, as do all the large distributors like Digi-Key, Mouser, Newark. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096Y1T319/?tag=tdpri-20

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I cleaned the inside of mine, it was pretty simple.

Still have some problems with modern PC boards because the eyelets are so small. I do try to get it on the edge so it heats up, but doesn't always work.

Still better than the separate solder sucker, and I have some Radio Shack wick from the 90s, which doesn't seem to do much at all.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
.....and I have some Radio Shack wick from the 90s, which doesn't seem to do much at all.
Confirmation! YES! Thank You! ;)o_O:cool:

(@Rufus - Confirming the crap quality of radio shack braid, not my vintage demographic! :D:) I stocked up on braid from radio shack when I was going thru electronics classes at the community college. radio sh|t I mean shack was the only place us rookie students knew to go back then! No wonder that desoldering demo was so hard to pass.)

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
I cleaned the inside of mine, it was pretty simple.

Still have some problems with modern PC boards because the eyelets are so small. I do try to get it on the edge so it heats up, but doesn't always work.

Still better than the separate solder sucker, and I have some Radio Shack wick from the 90s, which doesn't seem to do much at all.
So it's been a couple of months. How is it performing?

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I got a Velleman branded one for Christmas (I bought it, wrapped it, gave it to my sons to give to me lol)!
I don't want to say I can't wait to use it because that means I made a mistake :oops: but I am hoping it works better than using my iron with a solder sucker or braid.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

hamerfan

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I used a braid / solder wick up to now, but i am not convinced. I am looking at a solder sucker with a teflon tip. Do they work for you?
Should it have a metal housing or is plastic good enough?

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I always used a separate solder sucker but I just recently tried a braid at the recommendation of a colleague who used to do component work and I much prefer it for most of the desoldering I do. Not getting rid of the sucker though. Seems like both have their uses.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
So it's been a couple of months. How is it performing?
Not as well as I hoped.

Cleaning the main chamber is pretty easy, but solder gets stuck to the tip. I figured out a way to unclog its tip it by using the tip of a regular desoldering pump (I jut took it apart). Still solder sticks to the tip.

It may be a particular problem I'm having because I'm working with PC boards that have really tiny eyelets. Sometimes all the solder comes out on first try, but it's not as common as when I first got it. Sometimes I can't suck it at all even after 5 or 6 tries, which wasn't the case when I got it.

Last edited:

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
This arrived recently and this weekend I finally had the chance to use it. It works well. I wish I felt the suction was stronger (maybe it is, I don't know) but it does the job and its a more accurate tool than the things I've used in the past; solder braid, trying to use a solder sucker and iron at the same time.

I think this thing was $17 when I bought it, so I'm not out any real money if it doesn't live up to expectations.