PSA - Craigslist Sacramento Fender Bandmaster Blonde

theprofessor

Poster Extraordinaire
So we need to think about our families and consider what our spouses and kids need more than the next amp or guitar we need. In complete opposition to that spirit, I now say to you:
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! That helps, right? Just trying to encourage you. Seriously, that Bandmaster looks beautiful. And you probably don't need it, but...

pokett

TDPRI Member
Yeah, I totally would except for the whole children and wife banding together (even though the children are 3 years old and 7 months old) and killing me in my sleep… but dang!

jguitarman

Tele-Afflicted
I live there and have seen that ad. A friend of mine is also trying to sell a black face Showman for about the same price and it just won't sell. I already have a blond '64 Bandmaster and don't have room for another. It's a shame but the love for these old piggyback amps just isn't there any more. I think they sound great with the closed cab.

theprofessor

Poster Extraordinaire
I live there and have seen that ad. A friend of mine is also trying to sell a black face Showman for about the same price and it just won't sell. I already have a blond '64 Bandmaster and don't have room for another. It's a shame but the love for these old piggyback amps just isn't there any more. I think they sound great with the closed cab.
I agree. In the early 90's I got a CBS (I think 1965) black face Bandmaster piggyback for next to nothing. No one wanted those things then. It was wonderful. But I ended up selling it as my apartments got smaller and smaller in graduate schools. Just nowhere to put all that amp. I wish I still had it.

grolan1

Friend of Leo's
Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
Wow, this whole thing is out of control. Were the internals made of gold? How much longer can the market bear this nonsense?
To me they're worth that price.. buy an amp today that's built like that and you'll pay that if not more without all of the great smell this amp comes with... it seems serviced and ready for another 30 years. Price is a killer price. I personally won't sell that amp for less than $1500-$1800.

Showman is much more amp and that is why that one mentioned above might still be sitting. I personally went the Tremolux path with my BF 64. Lower wattage, un-efficiency speakers makes it a great gigging amp. Picked it up at the Hollywood guitar center a month ago for $900, but needed some serious cleaning and normal tech work.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
It looks great, but at that price you have to wonder. Whether they are selling or not those go for $1900-$2500 all day long. Buying a vintage amp can be shaky business. If it was in the Boston area I would have certainly inquired about it. Heck, I might pay for shipping!

theprofessor

Poster Extraordinaire
My point pertains to the whole vintage amp thing right now in general (I still think it's out of control), but especially to the Bandmaster. I've had one of those--almost exactly like it. It's great, but it's just a Bandmaster. I've seen SF Deluxes advertised for around $1,200 around here (granted, it's a SF, not a pre-CBS black face). A Deluxe I'd go for. A Bandmaster for $2,000? Not I, and I would advise anyone against it, unless they have money to burn. I've played and owned these things. It's not like they turn you into a wizard or something. But $900 is worth checking on, though it's still too expensive for what you're getting, in my book.

grolan1

Friend of Leo's
My point pertains to the whole vintage amp thing right now in general (I still think it's out of control), but especially to the Bandmaster. I've had one of those--almost exactly like it. It's great, but it's just a Bandmaster. I've seen SF Deluxes advertised for around $1,200 around here (granted, it's a SF, not a pre-CBS black face). A Deluxe I'd go for. A Bandmaster for $2,000? Not I, and I would advise anyone against it, unless they have money to burn. I've played and owned these things. It's not like they turn you into a wizard or something. But $900 is worth checking on, though it's still too expensive for what you're getting, in my book.

Got it, I'll have to admit I'm not a big Bandmaster guy but I know there are plenty out there. But at that price to me it's still a no brainier. If it was local I'd for sure go check it out and most likely buy it.

grolan1

Friend of Leo's

Forgot to say this, the whole vintage amp market really isn't any different that it has been for years and years. Actually unless you have a small wattage amp, the bigger ones are going down in price. So in my mind unless your looking for a BFPR and like more wattage, there are deals to be made more today than 10-15 years ago.

theprofessor

Poster Extraordinaire
Forgot to say this, the whole vintage amp market really isn't any different that it has been for years and years. Actually unless you have a small wattage amp, the bigger ones are going down in price. So in my mind unless your looking for a BFPR and like more wattage, there are deals to be made more today than 10-15 years ago.
Yes, I'm sure my point of view is colored by the fact that it was probably 1993 or so when I got my 1965 Bandmaster, and no one cared to get much money for them. They just weren't cool then, I guess. I think that held true into the late 90's. Now that I'm just getting back into all this, I am shocked at the prices.
But everything I've said applies even more so to these Fender re-issues that they're asking $1,000 or more for. I don't think so. I have a DRRI myself, but I got it used for a great deal. I would never pay that kind of price for that kind of quality, especially when you can save a few hundred dollars more and get a vintage SF one, for example.

theprofessor

Poster Extraordinaire
Well that's certainly indicative of the market, whether I like it or not. It looks like somebody needs to snatch up that '64 Bandmaster for $900 no matter what's happened with it. Bob M, maybe you should get it and pay shipping! Sounds like a deal, given the asking price of others. Note the big gap between pre-CBS and CBS Bandmasters above--almost double for the "same" thing!