PSA, both hands on wheel, be careful calling AAA.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jun 9, 2020.

1. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

Remember "both hands on the wheel"? Also be really careful about changing a tire in this modern distracted driving world.

This happened in a really bad spot to change a tire - 70 MPH, 6 lanes, stuck between concrete barrier and steel rail. It was crazy to see how often cars and trucks veered out of their lane.

No way I wanted to change a tire without a truck or police car behind so I called AAA. That was a mess. The woman didn't use GPS and was arguing with me that I could not be on 3 Interstates at once. I thought most adults knew and a AAA dispatcher for sure knew highways can be combined. They sent a tow truck in wrong direction. 40 miles away when that dude called.

It's brand new car so I didn't think to call their roadside assistance. VW roadside assistance seemed to be staffed with some brain capacity.

No way I'll get out of the car if I don't have to after watching how many vehicles kept veering out of the lane. Most were semis.

With 376 miles on the odometer I won't have to get 4 new tires. The nice 18" wheel got scratched by what did this but I think I've saved it with some 800 sandpaper, polishing compound and wheel clear coat. Hopefully not a bad omen for the new car but I don't tend towards suspicious, paranoid or conspiracy theories.

[​IMG]

2. RLM69

RLM69 TDPRI Member

Hopefully you had a spare tire. My 2017 Golf R doesn't come with a spare. There is a Fender sub woofer in there instead.

nojazzhere and imwjl like this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ouch. I hate when that happens to a new car, but hey - first scratches, so you can relax now. Right?

imwjl likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Wow, that is incredible sidewall damage. What happened?

5. imwjl

Golf R - nice!

Yes, it does. I was interested in a still unsold 2019 Golf R, and some unsold 2019 GTIs with incentives but chose the Alltrack with practicality in mind knowing the many mods available for it. My life style and work means I'm driving unpaved service roads often, and I'm often paged for weather related emergencies. Even stock the Alltrack is quick and sporty if compared to our Outback and most SUVs.

Something like that. Yes, stuff happens. I was more bothered by it ending the trip to work on the cabin, and matching the exact same tire (AWD vehicle).

In rapid succession.
    1. Got on 6 lane part of I 90/94/39 that can be a parking lot moving 70-80 MPH.
    2. Saw skids and splat marks and debris where a bad accident must have happened earlier.
    3. It was clear ahead but something got knocked toward side of car.
    4. Blowout with no one being appropriately nice with my attempts to pull over.
    My guess was maybe a piece of broken painted AL or strong plastic from the accident scene. It left a white scuff on the wheel.

Obsessed likes this.
  6. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

What does PSA mean ( other than prostate related).

Rowdyman likes this.
  7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've had a blowout on a major highway so I know what you must have felt like and then
    the AAA confused dispatcher. Hopefully nobody got hurt.

8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Sorry about that. The first time I went to a Joe Walsh concert in the MINI Cooper S, as I was leaving town I suddenly got a tire warning light. Interestingly, I was on new runflats with only about 300 miles on them so I pulled off the interstate to a handy tire dealer. The tech extracted this from the side wall:

[​IMG]

Anyone missing a can opener/screw driver blade from their pocket knife? I ended up with a new runflat under warranty. I kept the blade as a memento.

Bob

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I recently bought a "new to me" 2019 Kia Sportage. I was disappointed to find out it doesn't even have a "mini-spare"......just some temporary tire repair kit that wouldn't help a bit on your damage. I've been mulling over getting an actual spare, but your post is gonna make me do it NOW. There is space under the rear deck for one, and even if it hurts my mileage, it's not worth taking the chance. Glad everything worked for you.......Thanks! ;)

10. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

PSA = Public Service Announcement

Rowdyman, nojazzhere and imwjl like this.
  11. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In a world where they want to save every ounce of weight, tires are heavy, sidewall have become almost non existent
    in thickness.

13. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford TDPRI Member

Yeah my mustang came with a tire inflator. A lot of good that would do with a situation like OP...

nojazzhere and imwjl like this.
  14. imwjl

Like I said to @rlm6 and like @nojazzhere brings up. I actually thought about the practical stuff. I don't know about what @schmee says because some tires are really strong. Most modern automotive stuff is really good.

15. RLM69

RLM69 TDPRI Member

Rusty Shackelford said:
    Yeah my mustang came with a tire inflator. A lot of good that would do with a situation like OP...
    Yeah, mine came with a can of inflation air and an air compressor. Compressor works good on bike tires, but haven't tried it for the car yet.

imwjl likes this.
  16. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Scary story. I’m glad everything turned out for the good and I’m glad I don’t have to deal with that traffic

imwjl likes this.
  17. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Glad you’re OK; cutting down a tire on a busy interstate is a difficult situation to handle.

imwjl likes this.
  18. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Thanks...

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

dang! glad you are okay.

imwjl likes this.
  20. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.