PSA: Battery powered pedal boards (inexpensive)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Theorage, May 7, 2021.

1. Theorage

Theorage Tele-Meister

I was inspired by this recent pedal board thread to post another pedal board power option that I have enjoyed. After years of use, I thought my experiences would be useful to some.

Because I really like pedal boards without AC mains, I power them with Li-batteries. For $37 I get the
    TalentCell Rechargeable 12V 6000mAh power pack: it fits nicely under a pedal board, the charge lasts a whole day of use* with my 6-7 pedals, and the real motivation -- zero PS noise. Yes, daisy-chained from the battery, no noise. Used on two different boards with different pedals, no noise.

*if you have several digital pedals that suck 300+ mA each, power life per charge will be reduced!

upload_2021-5-7_9-37-29.png

12VDC for 9VDC pedals, you say? In real world use, this pack outputs 11-to-9.5 VDC -- no pedal worth spit is going to have trouble with such minimal "over-voltage". Even my cheap Chinese digital mini pedals thrive. Plus, most drive pedals do better with more voltage.

Here I have it mounted with velcro under a Pedaltrain Nano+ (angled w/feet lifts):

PXL_20210507_143833987.jpg

The only issue to deal with is that the polarity needs to be swapped from positive tip to negative tip at the PS connector. There are adapter wires available to do this, or whip out your soldering iron to change the polarity on the daisy-chain power distribution cable.

Between the board rails, I can see the battery level prior to full discharge:

upload_2021-5-7_9-36-7.png

I've been using this power scheme for about 4 years, and still I marvel at how awesome it works every time I use them!

24 track, Alamo and blowtorch like this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very cool , what is the average usage until recharge? can you get a full gig out of it? It should be possible to have 2 units together that when one drops below threshold the other kicks in for more longevity ,HMMM good idea , thanks for posting

3. Theorage

Theorage Tele-Meister

For me and my pedals, I seriously go five-3h gigs without a recharge needed, and even then, I charge it up "just in case". But I run more drive/boost pedals which don't draw a lot of current. (I have a delay and reverb pedal that can suck more fuel, though.) Even still, I never sweat it.

This result falls within the specs for the battery pack; rated for 6000 mA-h, but let's take a conservative reserve of 5000 mA-h with a group of pedals consuming, say... 500 mA.

5000 mA-h / 500 mA = 10 h of continuous use.​

That's more than gig-worthy. For me, I do a quick check of the meter before I play out, and charge up if necessary for an hour. Very easy, and I don't have to worry about stage power at the front with one less wire to step on. [Amp(s) getting powered at the back/side of stage is standard, right?].

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.