PSA - Airports and guitars and gear

Troubleandahalf

Tele-Afflicted
I work in baggage handling for Austin Bergstrom. As you may imagine we see a lot of gear pass through here.
You do Not want your guitar to go through the normal baggage system (when you give it up at the check in counter). It has to go around turns, gets violently shunted from one line to another, comes out to the make up carousel down a chute at god knows what angle of attack... Just have a look at this poor Gibson. Sad.
No, what you want to do is send your gear, yes flight cases too, down the Oversized Line. These are always straight, wide, slow. When the UT track team travels we get the pole-vaulting poles down, for example.
When it gets down to the apron level, a real person will put it by hand onto the airplane. Most guys will try to take good care of guitars.
Of course,if you can you should take it right on the aircraft with you. I personally put my Tele body in my backpack carry on and the neck in my checked luggage.
But if not you stand a 100 percent better chance of getting your gear back intact using the Oversized Line.

Attachments

• PXL_20220425_095832436~2.jpg
    PXL_20220425_095832436~2.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 80

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks for the info. Luckily my guitar is a small-body and I can fit it with its Calton case in the overhead with room to spare for 1-2 others' bags (surprised the hell out of me too). But there are those tiny planes where that's not an option. Good to know about this.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I work in baggage handling for Austin Bergstrom. As you may imagine we see a lot of gear pass through here.
You do Not want your guitar to go through the normal baggage system (when you give it up at the check in counter). It has to go around turns, gets violently shunted from one line to another, comes out to the make up carousel down a chute at god knows what angle of attack... Just have a look at this poor Gibson. Sad.
No, what you want to do is send your gear, yes flight cases too, down the Oversized Line. These are always straight, wide, slow. When the UT track team travels we get the pole-vaulting poles down, for example.
When it gets down to the apron level, a real person will put it by hand onto the airplane. Most guys will try to take good care of guitars.
Of course,if you can you should take it right on the aircraft with you. I personally put my Tele body in my backpack carry on and the neck in my checked luggage.
But if not you stand a 100 percent better chance of getting your gear back intact using the Oversized Line.
Thanks for the PSA.

kookaburra

Friend of Leo's
When I lived in Australia, I moved there and back with three guitars on the plane. I just took the necks off the Tele and Strat and put the lumber in my Marine Corps issue seabag, but the acoustic was of course more of a challenge.

I got a flight case from Case Extreme which did its job. Now I realize the bonus was the size. It had to go in the oversized bag line!

Bartholomew3

Friend of Leo's
Hard to believe - Air Canada trip from London, England back to Montreal in 1971. My bought new 68 twin reverb silverface had no speaker magnets, they had fallen off and were lying on the bottom of the amp.

Baggage staff must have thrown or dropped it 40 feet. Speakers were Jansen Concert blow-proof 100 Watt each replaced under a lifetime (10 yr actually) warranty plus the airline paid the claim so it was annoying but I made a few bucks.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
I am flying out of Austin in 2 weeks, and I take my Baby Taylor with me. I do early boarding and it fits nicely in the overhead.