PSA about granola bars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Milspec, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am a big snacker during work and mainly eat Cliff bars and granola bars saving the real meal until I got home. The same was true on Wed., but I tried a new peanut based granola bar. It was all that I ate during my 12 hour shift delivering mail.

By the end of the shift, I started feeling a little cramped up and bought groceries on the way home. I was starting to cook dinner when I felt the need to vomit....and I did.

In fact, I hurled 53 times over the next 8 hours before falling asleep on the bathroom floor. All of Thursday was spent with terrible diarrhea every 15-20 minutes untl about 10 pm last night. Thankfully, the chills ended and I was able to crawl into bed and get some sleep with just a couple of interruptions.

I managed to leave the house this morning to see the doctor who told me that he has seen 2 cases this month involving food poisioning with peanut butter as the suspect. I don't recall the brand of the bar that I ate, but it was peanuts, peanut butter, and granola mixed.

All that I know is that it damn near killed me! Still far from good, but at least I can get out of the bathroom again.

Sure, it might have just been something that I touched as I do touch over 300 mail box lids throughout the day, but I am pretty OCD about handling food without clean hands. All that I know is that I felt fine at the start of the day and the worst I have ever felt by the end of it.

nojazzhere and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  2. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Damn that ordeal sucks. Have you reacted to peanut products before?

uriah1 likes this.
  3. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Most of those "granola" bar, "energy" bars are no more nutritious than a candy bar.

Toadtele, teletail, koen and 5 others like this.
  4. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

That sucks, but food poisoning can take up to 48 hours to show up. Might have been anything you ate in that time period.
    Most people blame it on the last thing they ate, which is human nature, but the only way to be sure is have a full blown lab analysis on everything you ate for two days.

Unless a bunch of people all got sick at the same buffet and the CDC gets involved.

hdvades likes this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Yuck

Geoff738 likes this.
  7. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sympathies. I'd as soon walk over hot coals than have food poisoning. The only thing worse is getting food poisoning when traveling. Ahhhh.

Bassman8 and nojazzhere like this.
  8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya, may not have been food.

hdvades and ArcticWhite like this.
  9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Glad you got through with this and it wasn't more serious than it was.

However; another good reason not to eat healthy stuff. Hostess Cupcake or a Twinkie would not have caused this.

10. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd'a lost count after forty, I think

12. Milspec

That is the difficult part, trying to isolate the cause is impossible without having samples of everything I ate for the previous 24 hours, but I am eliminating all such granola bars from my list for good. In fact, every single thing that I ate in the last couple days is now off my menu for good as well.

Doc says it isn't viral and did a stool sample to identify the actual bacteria type involved, but it seems to be a case of food poisioning. We all get that at some point in our lives, but I have never been hit this hard....and I have been stricken in Thailland before that wasn't half as bad.

electrichead likes this.
  13. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hear that, Milspec. I hope you’re back to one hundred percent soon. And thanks for the warning. I have taken peanut butter granola bars off the menu until further notice.

Why did it have to be peanut butter?

14. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I hope you get back to normal soon. I really feel for you. I have a rare chronic nausea condition, and I've spent most of this past month on the bathroom floor in similar shape. Get plenty of fluids. Popsicles help to get fluid in, yet not overwhelm your fragile digestive system. Gatorade or Pedialyte help to rehydrate. And bananas can be your friend; you are probably low on potassium after that. Take care of yourself Milspec.

GGardner and jman72 like this.
  15. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

Hope you feel better.

FWIW, I've almost completely stopped eating Clif Bars after years of buying them by the box. They are nowhere near as nutritious and natural as their marketing suggests.

The first warning sign was when I found eating more than one a day caused some pretty noticeable digestive issues. I'm pretty sure the soy protein in them is a problem.

If I have one now, it goes in the category as a candy bar - an indulgence or "no other choice and I'm really hungry" every once in a while.

Bassman8 likes this.
  16. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

Peanut butter is usually made from the scraps & bits that are too broken-up to be sold as whole nuts. Not that they're necessarily poorer quality, but the likelihood of contamination or a few spoiled bits making their way in is much higher.

Similarly, hamburger meat is riskier than steak. Often meat from many different cows is combined into one batch so the possibility of cross-contamination is higher. Also, the outer surfaces are most susceptible to contamination & spoilage - ground beef has far greater surface area, ten times as much or more.

And yes, a granola bar is essentially a candy bar with fiber.

~

Food poisoning can cause lasting effects long after an apparent recovery. Severe aftereffects seem to be rare but very little research has been conducted. Many doctors remain unaware of the issue and it could be far more common than is recognized, simply unidentified as a causal factor.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/food-poisonings-hidden-legacy/

https://cspinet.org/tip/single-bout-food-poisoning-can-have-long-lasting-consequences

17. Milspec

I ended up in the ER a few hours ago after stumbling around the house and being pretty disorientated....potassium level was way off despite drinking pedialyte and gatorade all day. They had to bag me and kept me for observation for a couple of hours....feel far more stable now. It really is amazing how much damage a small microbe can do to a healthy person.

I should bounce back now, but drained and not really up to going back to work yet, even though the office is very short handed right now. I never missed a day of work in 17 years until this bout. I have survived multiple kidney stones, fractured ribs, concussions, etc., but never missed a single day until this damn thing tried to kill me.

Just be very mindful of what you eat folks, that is all that I can say.

As for the Cliff bars, I too used to buy them by the box back in my running days, but now they do cause some digestive upset since they changed the ingredients about 8 years ago. If you look at the label, they added inulin to the mix as a natural sweetener and fiber supplier. This has been very common in a lot of foods as it allows the product to claim 2 big selling points "low sugar" and "high fiber", but the body can't digest inulin so bacteria has to break it down creating a lot of gas. Most people can handle that, but many can't and that gas gets trapped and the discomfort begins. Inulin is just that stringy fibers you find in foods like bannanas, onions, celery, etc. If you have ibs...avoid it.

18. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The kid next door fell victim to E Coli poisoning. Nearly killed her. A couple of weeks in hospital.

My son was poisoned by the same chain, different establishment a year later, though his bout was simple salmonella. Still he was in hideous shape for a few days following his stay in hospital.

That's when I learned of my neighbor's near death experience...after I shared with her father "over the fence" what had happened to my son.

He was falling all over himself to apologize. Seems they had entered into a non disclosure agreement when they accepted damages for his daughter's injury. Except the NDA was conditioned upon the chain cleaning up its act and was void if similar circumstances occurred ... something something something. When he learned of my son's injury he became very angry.

Point being, he felt as though he could have prevented my son being poisoned had he spoken up. Not long afterwards we were contacted by our state health department. As it happens, I had provided the wrappers from what my son had eaten to the hospital's pathology / infectious disease people, who in turn were released to turn over everything to the state.

@Milspec ... I encourage you to do your best to remember the brand of granola bar in question and to make your state health department aware of your experience. Not us...not here...this isn't the place for it.

But it's terribly helpful to food businesses to learn when their products might be making people sick. If ya know what I mean.
    :rolleyes:

nojazzhere and Milspec like this.
  19. Milspec

You make an excellent point, I plan on doing that when I return to the store where I found it. When I say that it damn near killed me, I wasn't kidding. I have never been in such bad shape in my entire adult life and I am over 50. The brutal severity of it was shocking and living alone just made things worse. I would hate hear about a child getting hit with the same thing. Hell, I have been sanitizing my house ever since I got home and have become scared of food. Just a terrible experience.

rolandson likes this.
  20. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

That sounds miserable! And scary when you’re by yourself... you’re wondering, is this 911-bad, or is it something I can ride out?

I had a similar case many years ago. Severe bouts of vomiting and diarrhea for two days, so exhausted I fell asleep on the toilet until the next wave would hit. My mom came over and drove me to the emergency room; they said I was severely dehydrated and IV’d me. The lab said I had a really bad case of salmonella poisoning. Pretty sure it was the salad dressing from a salad bar at a local chain restaurant. I was paranoid of food and germs for a long time after that.

When I was a little kid I noticed my uncle made a face and refused corn whenever it was passed to him at the table, and I asked why. My dad chuckled and told me that as a young kid, my uncle had gotten chicken pox the day after eating a bunch of corn. As an adult, he knew the corn had nothing to do with getting sick, but he still won’t touch it to this day.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Milspec and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.