PSA: '65 Vibroverb FS in DC area

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axis29, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Greggorios and Chiogtr4x like this.
  2. scook

scook TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

A bit out of my budget but man that’s nice!
    However, if I hit the Power Ball it’s only an hour and a half to two hour drive for me.

Axis29 likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Saw this ad in local DC CL today

Side note:
    Tom Principato and I share the same thing, an amazing drummer, Joe Wells!

JoeW plays in my band on occasional gigs, but ( of course ) is usually busy playing with Tom or real bands- but he is still my ' first call' when we actually get something.
    He is too good; can play anything ( music) with anything ( drums, anything he hits= music)

Axis29 likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That amp is probably from 1964...nice but not original. Nice speaker, but the original speaker would be better for vintage value, ime. The serial number is on the high end of the range, but production ended for these in 1964. If the component dates show early 1965, then it was a holdover transitional piece. Fwiw, I know where a near mint example is.

Mayas caster and Chiogtr4x like this.
  5. Axis29

I think Tom is trading on his name, the Cesar Diaz name, and the connection to the DC area some. I don't have any idea what the amp is worth... Nor do I have the money to even contemplate contacting him about it! LOL

When it came across my Facebook feed (we're friends on Facebook), I thought of a few folks around here who like these amps. Figured I'd advertise a little for Tom. Be interesting to see what it goes for.... You know, the whole 'big amps are dead' thing.

6. Wally

It may be worth that......the market will tell. The Ab763 Vibroverb is the most valuable BF amp without a doubt. I will allow that I sold that mint example for more a few years ago....but when they are as new the market changes.
    And perhaps someone would be hot for one of these that was modded by Diaz.
    Fwiw, the one I sold on consignment did not have a JBL but feather had an OEM Jensen C15N, iirc. It was an untouched amp when I sold it......it Never had a soldering iron near it. That puts it in that special class when it comes to vintage collectors. This Diaz modded amp has a different kind of draw, I agree.

Axis29 likes this.
  7. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

A little overpriced I would think; for 1/4 that you could get a mint Vibro King, which would sound as good or better.

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A friend of mine, well just acquaintance really, ..... has three BF 1 x 15 VV's! Geez. He used to be really into SRV years ago and did that stuff well.
    I remember not buying one on Ebay a couple times for about $2300. I just couldn't do it. Instead I built a replica.
    I've often wondered how a BF 1 x 15 Pro non Verb is comparatively. But you don't see them much at all.

9. Chiogtr4x

My buddy has a reissue of this amp I think I played it more than he has which is twice.. He does have a very cool amp collection. I like his Super Reverb better, as it just seems to have more ' clean life' for the much lower amp volume I play.

Is 1964 the only year that this version of the amp was made, right? ( or did it go on a few years?)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

FWIW I know where I can get an ex- SRV ex- César Díaz Super Reverb. It's in an SRV roadcase in a garage peppered with SRV roadcases.

I don't know but I been told:

Stevie bought up every old Vibroverb he could find as well as nicer Super Reverbs when he found them. This particular Super Reverb is so clean you can lick any part of it. I suggest you don't, electrocution hazard and all that. Anyway, Stevie left it at César's shop. César asked Stevie to bring him another one to modify, one that wasn't so clean and minty.

Dude who has it has a "Send Stevie's amp back!" letter from Jimmy Vaughan's lawyers.

It was César's amp when César passed and anyway, any sort of statute ran out on it years ago.

bparnell57 likes this.
  11. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

I never really cared for the 1x15 Vibroverb. I'd much rather play through a good blackface Vibrolux Reverb.

I do, however, like the brown 1x15 Pro 6G5-A.

FenderLover and powerwagonjohn like this.
  12. Wally

I have owned this 1963 prototype BF Pro for over 25 years. I have never seen another AA/AB763 Pro. Check out the Bright switch openings. There is no white box around the opening...that is a sign of the earliest BF panels. The lower back panel is cut in the manner of the 6G and late tweed big amps...it is not a rectangle but has the angled cutout approach. This is also a sign of the earliest BF cabs. Very nice amp...imho.
    I have owned one AB763 Vibroverb and had the other one consigned to me. I have worked on another. They seem to be more plentiful than the 1x15 BF Pro.

30E8ED91-436D-425B-8A18-C3E685019C4D.jpeg E0600D5E-4674-48D7-AF9E-5A80C56408FF.jpeg

these amps were introduced in 1963, and 1964 was the last production year. The AA165 Pro Reverb replaced the 1x15 Pro...and imho the AB763 Vibroverb. Why did they not call them Pro and Pro Reverb????

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

Is your near mint example located in Kansas City?

14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Very Cool amp. I think there are 3 on Reverb right now. I need to see what the switch faceplate area looks like! BF Pro probably a good one for me as I like my BF Deluxe better than my BFDR. Although they are a toss up really! I remember when I was house hunting a few years back, this broker took us into one old farm house and there in the living room is a BF Pro with a JBL in it. I was thinking of making an offer on that house specifying the Pro was part of the deal ... :lol::rolleyes::eek::D:p:)

Later: I guess there are 6 on Reverb, 3 of 6 have the no white box bright switch opening.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  15. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Diaz modded, with proof, is worth a darn pretty penny. Will easily sell for that much.

I've seen the amp Muchxs is talking about. Got my Oakley 400 PS from the same man. Was also from Diaz's shop. It's crazy...

16. Chiogtr4x

I may be missing something:

if the brown 2×10"
    Vibroverb is 1963,

And the BF 1X15" ( SRV) Vibroverb is ONLY 1964, ( or am I wrong?).

Then why does Tom P. have amp posted as '1965'?

17. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Nothing like cracking a vintage Fender open and finding a schlode of orange drops.....

dannyh likes this.
  18. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Nostalgic, but pass. Added mid control to the normal channel: "middle control is placed on the front of the control panel where the tremolo "Intensity" control used to be." Could that be any farther away?

19. Wally

No.

They are not just like this one. This one is a true prototype. There is no serial number on the chassis....,I Have never seen that on another vintage Fender.

yes, the 6G16 Vibroverb was introduced in 1963 as the first Fender amp with board reverb.
    The Bf amps were introduced I the late summer/early fall of 1963. The 1X15 Vibroverb I owned was dated Nov, 1963 on the tube chart. the Pro I have not only does not have a serial number stamped I; the chassis, it also shows no signs of a tube chart ever being glued inside the cab. Underneath every component once board, yellow engineering pencils marks the placement of every component and also indicates the holes in the board where the wires pass through. The layout was drawn o; the board before components went on. All component dates are drone early ‘63 or late ‘62. The treble pots are the tapped treble pots that were used in the large 6G amps. I have never seen that in any other BF amp, either.

20. Axis29

No clue. We've actually never talked gear.

We talked promoting local music and a little bit of DC music history. We aren't buddies or anything, just friends on Facebook and I've been to a number of his shows over the years. I grew up just south of DC.... And, I was a VP of a Blues Society in a town he was coming to play.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.