PRS x-hollow inspired build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by photondev, Oct 7, 2020.

1. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

:( I was hoping it would look like a PRS. :D

I don't recall that GFS guitar.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    crazydave911 and AAT65 like this.
  2. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Once the neck was glued, I re-routed the neck's humbucker cavity and re-connected the cables' cavity

20210220_131955.jpg

Also drilled the body to insert the bridge's posts, and fitted the wraparound bridge, the angle looks OK ....

20210220_131903.jpg

My only minor concern is that the bridge humbucker may be a little bit too close to the bridge.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry, didn't see it as an insult

XAVIERE_XV-950_01.jpg

I must be dreaming, the one I was referring to was a lot smaller, about LP size but the same pickups. Oh well

Dave

4. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Insult? None, I was just kidding. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with that Xaviere.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

I have been fitting the tuners, the bridge, and started a bone nut

20210225_180406.jpg

It is coming together, I put the 1st and 6th strings, and I couldn't wait to test it, it feels and sounds pretty good

20210225_180619.jpg

Drak, AAT65, SamIV and 1 other person like this.
  6. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

Dave is like that cool uncle everyone wants. I know he is that way for me :D

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. crazydave911

Boys boys settle down :lol:.
    I actually saw a PRS on Troglys Guitar Show that this reminds me of. Completely hollow body, fully arched back and top with some interesting details. Where the neck, bridge and tailpin are had blocks, mahogany sides with maple top and back. The pickup plane up top was about 1/2" thick but tapered off each side to quite thin under the F holes. Not great but respectable volume unplugged. The pickups, were the masterpiece,clean jazz tones sustained forever and distortion? Right from the Santana playbook. And if that wasn't enough, push/pull pots on both tones to split the pickups and they actually sounded GOOD :D. Go check it out, he does a video a day, usually high end Gibson's but occasionally others. "Like a box of chocolates, never know what you're gonna get " :lol:

Dave

photondev likes this.
  8. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

I have also been watching the Trogly's show that I like, and he does a thorough review of the guitars.

Regarding the dimensions, in my build, I started with a 1.75" body and a 0.8" maple top, and I was a little afraid it was going to be kind of uncomfortable to play because of the massive 2.55" thickness, my research showed the PRS hollowbody at around 3". But after all the top and back carving, the thickness at the perimeter went down to 1.5". The little I have played it, it feels very comfortable, certainly not a massive guitar, as compared to a 335 type guitar; probably not the best comparison, it is more like an archtop strat. I personally like strats. One thing that really helps is the weight, so far it is around 5 lbs 5 oz, what's missing doesn't weigh that much. IMHO, overall if you like playing strats, you will probably like this guitar.

20210220_165529.jpg

I am almost ready to start finishing it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  9. crazydave911

I like the original Strat, and the Strat shape except the headstock. Mine has a vintage one piece Tele neck and to mind just "looks right ". It has a vintage neck pickup and a humbucker in the bridge.
    My Tele conversely has a lacquered fretboard Strat neck and also, to me looks right. It has GFS lil Puncher pickups and soothes my Clapton affliction. If I want twang (and not really often) I have my 24" scale Esquire with the modern, not vintage lil Puncher pickup.
    My hollow body affections are well taken care of by a surprising source, the first one I made

16143649534734981736145339068069.jpg

Then this one recently

16143650594504002571395345203746.jpg

Of course both getting a critical catscan lol.
    The first is around 30 years old and on it's 3rd pickup. The first a decrepit PAF that that finally fell apart, the second a GFS NYII that unbeknownst to me was a fire breathing P90 in a surface mount shell. Not bad but not what I was going for. The current alnico Goldfoil has me smiling once more. What may not be obvious is for my bedroom guitar I prefer a wide thin body and neck clear from the 14th fret AND a neck mounted pickup, it soothes the savage beast lol
    The second was an Amazon special that blew out amazingly fast, a Grote archtop. Yes made in China, yes amazingly cheap and every review video I found was astonished at the quality for the money. The first reviewer complaint invariably was the non adjustable P90, though they can be shimmed like a Junior. In the process of playing however they found it didn't need adjusting because those who did complained about it overpowering the guitar. It's bound front and back and the fretboard, no hint of sprout which was interesting, all American suppliers were out of stock badly but I found I could order directly from the factory with a pretty stiff shipping which I wondered about. That mystery was solved when almost a month ahead of schedule this package shows up, taped up like I've never seen with an Air Express label. Between the the tape and styrofoam it was packed better than a Fender Custom Shop. No no case but also not a scratch :).
    Well that's enough of my heart and soul for one day, I need a nap :lol:

Dave

Moodivarius and photondev like this.
  10. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

I love watching Trogly's Guitar Show. It's very entertaining.

crazydave911 and photondev like this.
  11. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

This is ready for finishing, it will get finished when my Brotherhood build gets to this stage. I will try to finish both at the same time.

Drak and crazydave911 like this.
  12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I didn't see it earlier, but where did you get the F hole template/pattern? Starting in on my PRS hollowbody and I drew up an F hole template, but if you have an existing drawing, yours looks nice. Have you confirmed that pots and switch will fit through it?

crazydave911 and photondev like this.
  13. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, the controls fit through with no issues. I think I tweaked a file I already had. Contact me through messaging, and I will upload it there.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  14. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Since I have almost finished the Brotherhood build, I am finishing this guitar now, started finish sanding ... 20210529_183428.jpg

LeftFinger, crazydave911 and RiversQC like this.
  15. crazydave911

Very nice :)

photondev likes this.
  16. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

I dyed the top, going for a darker blue. I am liking it so far

20210603_101849.jpg

Attached Files:

crazydave911 and frogisland like this.
  17. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

You will likely get the darker blue in a more satisfactory way if you spray tinted lacquer over what you have instead of adding more dye directly to it.

photondev and crazydave911 like this.
  18. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, I agree. I think I am done with the dye. I sanded it very lightly to enhance the figure and clean up some areas. Here it is with some naphta

20210603_192018.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Very nice. I'm about to do the grain highlighting on mine, though I am shooting for a natural finish, so I'm just doing a pale amber and sand back to get the flame to pop just a little extra.

photondev and crazydave911 like this.
  20. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. Your build is looking great.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.