PRS style HSH wiring and switch mounting

JohnnyThul

Tele-Holic
Hi all,

As there were some fabulous PRS hollowbody build threads started here weeks ago, I was inspired to make a PRS style guitar as well. So far everything is pretty completed, but I now have to decide on the switching of this thing.

I am not good at making wiring schematics, for some reason, I just never had the fun to put much effort into it. So maybe some electronic wizards here can help me out?

What I have:

- Bluesbucker neck
- Singlecoil middle
- humbucker bridge

What I initially wanted:

- Master Vol
- Master Tone
- 3 way toggle for the humbuckers
- Mini switch to add the singlecoil in every position
- Mini switch to split the neck humbucker

Combinations I definitely want to have:

- neck humbucker
- neck humbucker split
- neck humbucker split + middle Singlecoil
- neck + bridge humbucker
- bridge humbucker
- bridge humbucker + middle singlecoil

Now, I am not sure this will work. So another option would be to use a 5way switch and a mini switch to split the neck humbucker.

Now, I like the idea of a 5 way switch, but how do you fit that to a carved top? I really have no idea, how to do that, besides doing it freehand which is, well, not the best option, I guess :)

I could use a rotary switch, but these are not very user friendly imho.

Any ideas? I would love to make the final electronics layout on the weekend to start the fun part of sanding as soon as possible.

Best regards

Jonas

Nicko_Lps

Tele-Meister
Any ideas? I would love to make the final electronics layout on the weekend to start the fun part of sanding as soon as possible.
In the guitar i made for myself, i used a 3 way toggle LP style, a middle pickup on/off mini switch and split coil on both humbuckers mini switch.

I came to realize that split coils is not even close to single coils, its just a different tone that's all. If i want single coils, i have to grab a guitar with single coils.

JohnnyThul

Tele-Holic
In the guitar i made for myself, i used a 3 way toggle LP style, a middle pickup on/off mini switch and split coil on both humbuckers mini switch.

I came to realize that split coils is not even close to single coils, its just a different tone that's all. If i want single coils, i have to grab a guitar with single coils.
Hi Nicko,

I know what you mean :) That is why I used a Bluesbucker, because with them, split coil sounds like a Fat Strat Singlecoil/P90 mix and there is no volume drop.
The Bluesbucker has 2 coils which are wound asymmetrical and one coil isn't magnetized. Therefore you can get a non muddy PAF/P90 sound and in split mode a Strat/P90 sound, pretty useful in my opinion and I use them quite a lot in my guitars, highly recommended!

You could also take a humbucker and pull the slugs out of one coil, that gets you in the ballpark.

Do you maybe have a wiring scheme how you wirde the singlecoil so that it can be switched on/off? I really am not good at electronics, I can solder after a diagram but that's about it.

Best regards

Jonas

peterg

Tele-Holic
Jonas

Here you go:
9638BDE0-DFBE-43E3-A254-8D1E54726C60.jpeg

Nicko_Lps

Tele-Meister
Do you maybe have a wiring scheme how you wirde the singlecoil so that it can be switched on/off? I really am not good at electronics, I can solder after a diagram but that's about it.
Im so sorry brother, i did not make this circuity myself i just ordered and it was wired from my mentor.

It it was a tube amp, can assist your with many things. Wiring pots and switches on Guitars is definitely my NO-GO thing 🤣

Seems that Peterg is fast as a shark and already came up with a schematic for you!